Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-31-2015, 10:52 AM   #1  
GmaTo8

Smile Touching base - WLS Chat

I'm wondering if any of you would like a thread as a place to check in with our thoughts, ideas, and daily lives in reference to weight loss surgery?

Being 1 year post-op with the vertical sleeve, I am in the maintenance phase now. Tomorrow my family is having a big dinner, and my challenge, as always, will be focusing on "protein first".

What's happening in your world this weekend?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Great idea, Jane! I've tried to participate in other weekly threads throughout the site, but it's just different once you've had WLS. So many different struggles that you just don't understand until you've been there.

Tonight, I'm going to a going away party for a friend. There will be lots of baked goods, and other comfort type foods (it's a potluck). It'll be my first time being in a food/social setting like that since surgery 3.5 weeks ago. I'll have my water and my protein shake, though, so I don't anticipate a problem. At this stage of my RNY, food isn't a temptation for me. I'm rarely actually hungry, and have to make myself eat.

Weigh in was this morning, and I've broken the 50 lb barrier, and I'm down 52 pounds. 27 pre-op, and 25 since surgery. So that was a great way to start my day!

It's so interesting to me that my pouch is so finicky. One day, a food will be fine, and the next, Lola (my pouch, lol!) gets super cranky if I eat the same thing.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:40 AM   #3  
GmaTo8

Kaley -is it okay to call you that? Wow, you really hit the nail on the head when you said the struggles are so much different with WLS! Congrats on your weight loss so far. Are you still on liquids and soft foods? Regardless, yay for you, for going to the party prepared. My sleeve is finicky, too, because what sounds good one day, may not sound good at all the next, lol.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #4  

Call me what you like (lol), but Kayley is my name, so I'm okay with that.

My surgeon/plan calls for me to be on pureed foods for the first 8 weeks after surgery. I've basically been living on protein shakes, applesauce, yogurt, pudding, and sugar free popsicles. Sometimes I have a cream soup. The thought of pureed meat just....I can't do it! I'm allowed some soft foods, like scrambled eggs, but my pouch didn't like them at ALL.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #5  
GmaTo8

Kayley, (spelled correctly this time) how was the party for your friend? I hope he/she isn't moving too far away. Our family dinner got canceled, so I didn't have to worry about that. The good news is, even when I'm at a dinner like that, once I have my protein, there's not much room left in my tummy for any "bad " foods.

To anyone else reading this, whether you have had WLS, or are considering it, feel free to jump in. 😊
Old 02-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #6  

The party went well! I took a huge 1 liter of Aquafina with me, and a Premier Protein shake (my favorite), and the food wasn't even a temptation. It smelled great, but I didn't desire any of it! And the girl next to me on the couch (very naturally thin), had such a HUGE plate, and I know that's how much I would have eaten pre-op, and the amount kind of grossed me out. Crazy how things change in such a short amount of time!
Old 02-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #7  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Hello!
I had VSG on 12/15/14. Things are trucking along, I'm really glad to be feeling back to normal again. I'm wishing weight loss were a little more linear right now, some weeks I'm down 5 lbs and some I'm down 2. This was a 2 lb week, lol! But I'm averaging about 4 lbs per week, so I can't complain.
Otherwise, I'm continuing to relearn everything I thought I knew about food, eating, exercise, and cooking. It's much more of a challenge than I thought, but very rewarding knowing I'm changing my (and my family's) poor habits!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #8  

Hi Gale! Nice to "meet" you. Congratulations on your loss thus far, very impressive for about 6 weeks out.

My blood pressure is back to being high again. I have my one month follow up with my surgeon on Wednesday, but I don't see that as a reason to not release me back to work (I sit at a desk all day anyhow).

We got about 18" of snow yesterday, so I'm glad I'm still off work! We are still snowed in. All I wanted was a big bowl of chili for dinner, but I settled for good ol' Ricotta bake.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #9  
GmaTo8

Kayley, Premier protein shakes are my favorite, too. I can only find them at Sam's Club, which is about an hour from me. I too am amazed by the amount of food I used to eat in one sitting. When I go out now, I order off of the children's menu. Those menus have come along way from hot dogs and grilled cheese. Applebee's has a wonderful grilled chicken breast, and yogurt with strawberries. Wendy's chili is great, too. Eighteen inches of snow- yikes! I live in southern Indiana, and all we got was rain.

Gale, welcome. You're doing great so far! My weight-loss was also up-and-down. Not so much of a loss one week, or for even a few weeks, and then a real nice loss to make up for it later. Even when the pounds would slow down, the inches were going down, though. Doesn't it just feel great, being on the road to better health?

TTFN. 😊
Old 02-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #10  

Today was my one month follow-up with my nutritionist and surgeon, and it went better than I could have hoped!

I'm on pureed and some soft foods for the first 8 weeks post op, however I've been given the okay for hard boiled eggs, and my meat does not have to be pureed if it "can be cut with a plastic fork". I am so excited! I haven't had any meat in a month, and I miss it! (Plus, the protein....all the beautiful protein).

My surgeon was very happy with my progress thus far, and said "look, you have cheekbones!" lol. I've been cleared for ALL exercise, and I'm going back to work tomorrow.

The drive home was horrendous due to the weather, and my normal 2.5 hour drive to the hospital was over 4 hours. I'm just mentally and physically exhausted, and ready for an early night!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #11  
GmaTo8

Kayley, what awesome news! The crockpot is your friend for a very tender meat. You may find that you can only take a few bites at first. Meat sure fills me up quicker than anything. Yay for cheekbones! You are already a very pretty girl, and weight-loss will enhance that. Are you taking pictures along the way? I've got a bunch of them to make a weight-loss scrapbook. I even took pictures of my doctor, and the staff at the clinic like the nutritionist, the nurse, the psychologist, and the receptionist. I've been keeping a list of things I can do now that I didn't used to be able to do, like cross my legs, etc. so I can include that in my scrapbook, too. Be careful on those roads up there!

Gale, how are you doing?

Hello to anyone reading this.

We were supposed to get a couple inches of snow overnight, but got only a dusting. Doesn't really matter to me, since I will be home all day. I like to get my spring cleaning out of the way in February, so when the weather warms up in March, I can go outside and enjoy spring. Have a good day!

Last edited by Jane; 02-05-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:35 PM   #12  

Jane & Gale (if you're lurking), I hope you are having a good weekend. Anything fun on the agenda?

I broke down and got a FitBit Flex yesterday. I really want something a little more reliable than my phone to track my steps. Now I just need the weather to warm up, and the snow to disappear, and I can really get out there! I'm thinking of heading back to the gym either this upcoming week or the week after. I miss doing weights SO much! And I want to firm up as much as possible while I'm losing, so (hopefully) I don't have as much loose skin.

I sold off $200 worth of clothes that are 1-2 sizes too big for me now, so the $97 I spent on the FitBit was justified. I really wanted the one with the heart rate monitor, but I couldn't justify almost $300 for it. Maybe once I've lost 150 or so pounds.

I was down another 5 lbs this morning. So close to -60! I'm at 57 lost. 27 pre-op, and 30 since surgery. Hoping this downward trend continues!

My pouch didn't seem to care for a fried egg, or rotisserie chicken lunch meat. Super bummer. I plan to try again in a few weeks. It's so finicky!
Old 02-08-2015, 03:40 PM   #13  
Releasing the inner hiker

Kayley, I love my Fitbit. My husband bought me one for Xmas, and I love the motivation it gives me to try and reach 10k steps a day. With all these snow days, I've been home bound more than I like, so I've been doing Leslie Sansone steps in front of the tv just to get more activity in.

And I had a really hard time with dense proteins the first few months. I think it was four months to the day after surgery that I could eat meat and not feel ill. I still have a picky pouch, but nothing like those first few months.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #14  
GmaTo8

Jen, congrats on your weight-loss progress! We haven't had much snow here in southern Indiana, but the temps have been bitterly cold at times, and I like doing's Leslie Sansone's tapes on those days. Seeing women of all ages and sizes in her group make me feel more normal, lol

Kayley, it's awesome how you sold those clothes, and got your Fitbit. Nearly 60 pounds gone! I know you feel so much better.

A big to anyone else reading this.

I've been doing spring cleaning - ugh. But it's great exercise! What are you ladies up to today?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #15  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi, ladies!

I'm around, I get on here about once a week or whenever the three littles let me have some quiet time (haha!)

Jane - Way to go on the spring cleaning! I organized my sewing studio and my pantry... that's probably as far as I'm going to get.

Kayley - Congrats on 60 lbs, that's fantastic!! I hope you love your FitBit, I like mine quite a bit (when I remember to charge it - eek!)

I'm still trucking along. I'm down 50 lbs as of this morning, so that's an exciting milestone for me. I'm in between jeans sizes which is always frustrating, but it should only be a couple more weeks. I did realize yesterday morning (of course) that I have zero tops that fit me nicely. I normally wear a tank top and hoodie at home, but I don't wear it to church. I'm going to have to get a couple of nice tops.
I tried salad for the first time a couple days ago and am ELATED that my sleeve can handle it! I've had several since then, adding eggs, chicken, and avocado. Tasty goodness, right there!
I've been slacking on my food diary the last couple of days, not because I've been eating badly, but because I'm lazy. LOL! I'm back at it today.
I'm thinking about joining Curves... but not too sure about it. It's not the most fantastic workout, but it's close to me and I think will be a good place to start. Any thoughts about that? I really need to get my double stroller some new tires and start walking, that would probably be best right now.

I hope you're all having a great Monday!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote