Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Default 18 days

Hello all. I haven't been on the forums in about 3.5 months, because there was a snag with my surgery date, and I've spent those last 3 months feeling awful, and battling my depression the worst it's ever been.

I was scheduled for surgery September 15th, 2014. September 12th, I was told I needed another pulmonology clearance, because I had been battling pneumonia for 4+ months, and they needed to make sure I could handle the anesthesia.

Long story short, my pulmonologist couldn't clear me, as my lung function was at 30%. Also found out that day that my previous doctors had been mis-diagnosing me for months. I likely NEVER had pneumonia. What a urine screen did show was that I had histoplasmosis (a fungal infection in my lungs). My surgery was immediately cancelled, and I was put on pills to clear up the infection, and told I had to come back in 3 months for a check up, and to check my lung function.

Due to the amount of scar tissue in my lungs, from being mis-diagnosed for months, and the infection taking a toll on my lungs, I can hardly do any walking/activity, without getting seriously winded. Even as a 400 lb woman, I've always been able to jog, walk, do the elliptical for an hour, etc.

I spent the next 3 months basically just in pain and crying over the fact that I didn't' have my surgery, even though I knew it was for the best, because it would have been risky to put me under with lung function being as low as it was. I disappeared from these forums, the obesityhelp forums, and just stopped talking about WLS, because I was in such a bad place.

Last week, I had my 3 month follow-up. It included another urinalysis, and a lung function test. My urine came back negative for histoplasmosis (yay!), and my lung function is now at 76. He said an 80 would be very good. Then he said those magic words: "I don't see any reason why you can't be cleared for surgery". After I cried in his office for a good five minutes, he faxed the clearance to my surgeon as I was sitting there.

Two days later I got the call: my surgery is rescheduled for January 6th. 18 days from now. I never thought they would get me in so quickly. I'm back to being nervous, but ready to take control of my life, and start 2015 off with a bang.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #2  
I Can & I Will!

S/C/G: 400 S / Ticker C / 160 G

Height: 5'7

Good luck on your upcoming surgery!! I bet you're so excited!!
Jesslan Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #3  

I'm so excited for you. I hope 2015 is the best year of your life!
TheLastStraw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #4  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations!! I'll be sending prayers your way!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #5  
Releasing the inner hiker

I remember seeing your disappointing OH post and have been wondering about you since. I'm so glad your health has improved! These days will pass quickly!
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #6  

Thanks all. I'm so ready for this. I have a lot of chronic pain that I take Ibuprofen for, and yesterday was my last day I could take it before surgery. Acetaminophen just isn't the same!
Old 12-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

wow. it's always something, isn't it? January 6 will be a great day, after all, it's the Feast of the Epiphany - AKA Three Kings Day - and the last day of the 12 days of Christmas.

Glad someone finally paid enough attention to you to figure out what was going on and stepped up and DID SOMETHING!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #8  

It's going to be a WONDERFUL day! I'm past the feeling of "I'm going to die" (I can be a bit dramatic at times), and I'm just excited to get this weight off. I'm 28 years old...the goal is HEALTHY by 30!

My Pulmonologist is amazing. Such a great guy & doctor.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #9  
Releasing the inner hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleystar View Post
Thanks all. I'm so ready for this. I have a lot of chronic pain that I take Ibuprofen for, and yesterday was my last day I could take it before surgery. Acetaminophen just isn't the same!
Kayley, this concerns me a little. You do realize that Acetaminopen is really the only OTC drug you can take post RNY? NSAIDS are systemic and are not advised for RNY folks, for the risk it poses for ulcers in the bypassed stomach. Further, it is becoming harder for physicians to prescribe potentially addictive pain killers. Is your chronic pain related to your weight, so the hope is that the pain disappears as you lose weight?
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Kayley, this concerns me a little. You do realize that Acetaminopen is really the only OTC drug you can take post RNY? NSAIDS are systemic and are not advised for RNY folks, for the risk it poses for ulcers in the bypassed stomach. Further, it is becoming harder for physicians to prescribe potentially addictive pain killers. Is your chronic pain related to your weight, so the hope is that the pain disappears as you lose weight?
My pain is partially due to my weight, and also the bulged disk I have in my neck that's pressing on a nerve that goes down my arms, so I have arthritic-like pain in my fingers. I am seeing a chiropractor to get my neck/disks back in alignment, and he says this pain is not permanent (thankfully).

Yes, I know that acetaminophen is all I'll be able to take, and luckily, it's starting to work for me. Not as well as Ibuprofen, but enough that I can get through the day.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #11  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Kayleystar - How did your surgery go? I hope you're doing well.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote