Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/261/180

Height: 64 inches

Default Another person who didn't think she'd be here!

Just wanted to thank Kaylestar for starting this thread as i never thought i would be here either. I have been undecided about WLS for a long time. Almost 3 years ago i went in for a consult as i done with all the yo yo dieting and continual weight gain after ever diet i tried. I had my consult, the doctor stated i was a very good canidate for surgery. Then my insurance denied me b/c i had to have a consecutive 3 full years of a BMI over 40. And the year prior i did a crazy No Carb, No sugar diet in which i was able to lose 50 pounds in 3 months (was not very healthy), which i was able to get my BMI down to 38. Then i promptly gained back all 50 PLUS another 30 in the span of about 6 months. So since i had a BMI under 40 the year prior, my 3 years started over. i convinced myself well it was not meant to be and i will do it on my own like a few people have told me i can since i am young (age 35 now) and i can do it with out surgery. So i started counceling which has been great and we are working on my many of my food issues and have been for almost 2 years now. I go a month or 2 thinking yes i can do this on my own and then something happens that reminds me i am very overweight, like i get on a plane and realize i BARELY can squeeze into one seat and have to move the armrest and take part of my husbands seat (thank goodness he is super skinny)! That almost ruied my whole vacation i was so sad and defeated. i have also been working with my PCP to get on Qusima, but it is very difficult to get it covered by insurance and it is VERY expensive, so that has been a 3 month (so far) process already. i feel like i was ready 3 years ago at that consult, but then i have a PCP that i really like and do trust her opinion tell me that WLS is just not the best option for me, then i think well i should be able to do this on my own. My family is supportive and my ortho doc (back issues) and my OBGYN are supportive of WLS for me as it will help with many other issues i have been having. Just dont know what to do. What if i have the surgery and gain it all back just like i have done over and over again with every crazy diet i have tried i know this is just a tool. i do feel that the counseling has definately helped move me in the right direction with food choices and makes me more aware of what and why i am eating things. Just scared like all of you have been at some point if this is the right decision or not.
Mercedes136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

Hi Mercedes - with magic moderator powers, I made your post its own thread so that it'll get more attention. I have a few thoughts to share with you, but for right now, I have a deadline.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

OMG......I would die if I had to wait another 3 years. Like you......I have yoyo'd and I have tried the Quisma.....didn't do anything for me. In the grand state of IN and KY......you have show medical necessity.....like diabetes, don't have......high blood pressure, don't have......or sleep apnea....never diagnosed. Not sure what pushed me through and I really don't care at this point. I even tried going to a compound pharmacy and injecting myself with HCG hormone......only lost 12 pounds in 3 months. Maybe it was all the crazy diets I have tried or the fact I have knee and back issues but I got approved for the lap band process. I haven't lost a huge amount of weight like some of my friends but boy is it a tool that I am learning about my relationship with food. I had my surgery in February 2014. I have a friend who lost 162 pounds withing 6 months.

I self medicate with food......I come up to a stressful situation and I grab carbs.......doesn't go down very easy and sometimes it comes up but that is my drug of choice. I am still using this tool and I wouldn't change anything in the world.....unless it was a different WLS. I get more going to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting with my oldest son than I get out of the WLS support group here locally. I know addiction is a disease that I will struggle with for the rest of my life....it is learning to handle the "BEAST" but WLS will help with the fight. Well, just my thoughts and experience so far....
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #4  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Hi Mercedes,

Congratulations on starting and continuing your journey. I did counseling and went to all kinds of classes for 8 years before my surgery. Over that period of time, I maintained or lost a modest amount of weight (40 pounds). I am not recommending it, but it is what I needed. I had to be very sure that I had dealt with my eating issues before my surgery. While I have had physical complications from my surgery, the eating part of it has been no big deal.

I think it is really important to own your process. You are the only one that lives in your body. No one can do that for you.

Last edited by activeadventurer; 09-07-2014 at 07:39 PM.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #5  
goldengirl

I am over sixty and just had gastric sleeve surgery last week after years of struggling with my weight. What I can share for sure is that it gets harder and impacts your life more and more as you get older. It was easy being fat and young....not fun, but my energy was good and I did not have physical limitations on walking,etc. then, you add in some age related arthritis, sore feet, and the other effects of life long obesity and you are suddenly thinking about being immobile in your retirement years ....that did it for me. I wish I had done this years ago. The thought of leaving the joy of food behind became a no brainer.food was my problem, not my friend. Like you, I was great at losing weight, but never could maintain the loss.
I am down 20 pounds and so proud of myself for taking this step. I now know that continued loss and a healthier life are worth this journey. Yet, like you I was totally surprised when I first started thinking about it. Get a doctor who will support what you feel makes sense for you. Fight the insurance company. Don't waste the next twenty years of your life on this problem like I did. I will be thinking good thoughts for you.
nancymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #6  

Unhappy

[QUOTE=nancymac;5072261]I am over sixty and just had gastric sleeve surgery last week after years of struggling with my weight. What I can share for sure is that it gets harder and impacts your life more and more as you get older. It was easy being fat and young....not fun, but my energy was good and I did not have physical limitations on walking,etc. then, you add in some age related arthritis, sore feet, and the other effects of life long obesity and you are suddenly thinking about being immobile in your retirement years ....that did it for me. I wish I had done this years ago. The thought of leaving the joy of food behind became a no brainer.food was my problem, not my friend. Like you, I was great at losing weight, but never could maintain the loss.
I am down 20 pounds and so proud of myself for taking this step. I now know that continued loss and a healthier life are worth this journey. Yet, like you I was totally surprised when I first started thinking about it. Get a doctor who will support what you feel makes sense for you. Fight the insurance company. Don't waste the next twenty years of your life on this problem like I did. I will be thinking good thoughts for you.[/QUOTE

I'm with you on this. I will be 61 in a couple of months and have Diabetes, HBP, and High cholesterol. I've had my band removed and my Dr. is saying that he doesn't want to talk me into it, but I need it b/c of my health issues. I know he's right and I have 6 weeks to decide on RNY

Last edited by pumpkin2; 10-12-2014 at 09:53 PM.
pumpkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

take your time with the decision - it's a big one! i'm the same age you are, pumpkin, and have been living - generally happily and well - with an RNY since 2002. it's made a HUGE difference.

BUT - and I know you know this - it's not for everyone, and we have to work at taking care of ourselves.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote