Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 353/324/190

Height: 5'9"

Default Surgery Date: August 28th

Hello! I am new to this board. I have my official date for the sleeve which is August 28! I am excited but I am beyond nervous. I have never had major surgery (well any kind of surgery actually). I am just wondering about the pain after the surgery. Did your surgeon give you something for the pain in the hospital? What about when you went home? As the date gets closer I'm getting more and more concerned about how much pain I'm going to be in. I know it may seem silly but it's how I'm feeling and I could really use some support Thanks.
newcreation2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

CONGRATULATIONS on your surgery date! I'm unfortunately not that helpful, as I have never had a single surgery or procedure myself.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Congrats on your surgery date Its a big change but exciting for sure.

I had pain meds via IV in the hospital and then my doctor gave me liquid pain meds for home. I kept the pain meds even afterwards, as its a medication I know that I can take.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

you might have an IV morphine pump = you push the plunger when you feel you need it. It's also locked so that you can't use too much.

most docs transition us from IV to some oral formulation [liquid or pills] for discharge. Please don't suffer - pain interferes with healing. And while you don't want to be so zonked out that you can't move, you need to control your pain enough so that you can get out of bed, go to the bathroom, walk a little, and so on.

and you'll need to be up and about before you leave the hospital.

please remember that you've just had surgery - and it'll take time and energy to heal. That's the way it is with ANY Surgery, not just WLS. so take it easy.

oh. and a tip about the oozing wounds. I have a problem with adhesives, so covering the little wounds with bandaids and other things that stick is a problem for me. I ended up using sanitary pads - the sticky end attached to my undies. and it worked pretty well!!! and much more absorbent.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 353/324/190

Thank you so much for the help! Jiffy-I appreciate how you said "Please don't suffer - pain interferes with healing." Surgery is no joke and I won't let pain be the reason I have set backs! I am so thankful for you and this community...support is such a big part of the pre and post op life! I love the pad idea for the wounds! This is why I need to ask questions because I never would have thought of that!
newcreation2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #6  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

NewCreation - I haven't had my WLS yet, but I have had other surgery and know others who have had various surgeries. Jiffy is right, pain does interfere with healing, so don't suffer. In the beginning if you're on pain meds, take them at the intervals prescribed by the doctor. Don't try and hold out until the pain get's "really bad". Stay ahead of the pain. That doesn't mean stay so loopy you can't function...just don't let it get intolerable before you take the meds. I don't know if I'm explaining it right, but I hope so.

Jiffy - the pad idea for wound care is ingenious! Very creative! Thanks for sharing!
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

Michelle - necessity is a MOTHER. the choice was covering the already sore incisions with adhesive, which would only make my skin blister and make life even more uncomfortable, or try ANYTHING. thank goodness the sanitary pads worked! I had to shift them from time to time, but that was a small price to pay for better absorbency and being more comfortable.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

Every time I go in for a fill.....those dang bandaids make my skin blister....even for a short time. Doc is going to laugh but I will be armed with a panty liner on my granny pants.
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

Let him laugh! at least you'll be more comfortable...