Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #1  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Pre-Op question

Hi,

I'm pre-op (still losing the initial weight required by my surgeon and insurance). Anyway, I just came down with a stomach bug BAD, mostly vomiting. Can someone please tell me if that is what "dumping" is like? On the one hand, I'm praying it's not because I'd never want to go through that again. On the other hand, if dumping is like a stomach bug, then I for sure wouldn't eat things that would make me dump.

How long do the symptoms of dumping last?

Also, when I get a stomach bug, what helps me most is 7 Up. How strict is the "no carbonation" rule for RNY? I'm just wondering what I'd do if I got a stomach bug after surgery.

Thanks,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I had the sleeve done, so dumping isn't as common nor as intense. But I've dumped a couple times. It doesn't feel like the stomach bug to me. It feels closer to how I've felt before I've passed out. I get shakey, cold sweats and sick to my stomach.

As for the bubble thing, as far as I'm aware, its a big no. I'm super careful, but my friend wasn't-- had limeade that was made from soda and it caused a fair amount of pain. You can try ginger for any future stomach troubles; ginger tea or ginger Altoids work just as well as 7UP, in my experience.

I will say, if I've learned anything, I think a large part of WLS varies person by person. Your stomach will tell you if its unhappy...
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #3  
Creating a Healthier Me

Thanks so much, Ducky! I didn't know about ginger Altoids.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

dumping and stomach bugs are definitely not the same. in fact, since my gastric bypass, for some reason, i get A LOT FEWER stomach bugs!

But dumping is NOT pleasant. and once you go through it, you'll understand that even the THOUGHT of soda will make you cringe.

my solution to dumping: a little bit of a protein shake AND A NAP!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #5  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

My friend who had the Y surgery said that soda made her wish for death, so I reckon it's a BIG NO.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #6  
Releasing the inner hiker

Dumping occurs when too much sugar tries to be processed by the intestines at once. How much sugar depends upon your anatomy/tolerance. In general, only 30% of RNY patients dump, so hoping it will keep you away from sugar may not apply to you, if you are not part of that 30%. Sometimes, overtime, a body can develop a greater tolerance for sugar, while others get worse over time.

Only time gets rid of dumping symptoms...time that seems to stop until its over. It is a very uncomfortable sensation. In my case, some foods, regardless of amount, always make me dump (such as ice cream). Also, the longer I go without sugar, the less it takes to make me sick when I do have a little. I once dumped on two tootsie rolls.

As for soda/carbonation, some people will warn you never to drink it as it will stretch your pouch. This is nonsense, as your stomach has openings both at the top and bottom where gas can escape. However, the gas from carbonation can be extremely painful, so many people stay away from soda for that reason. And, unless the soda is diet, that amount of sugar entering your intestines at once can trigger dumping.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
dumping and stomach bugs are definitely not the same. in fact, since my gastric bypass, for some reason, i get A LOT FEWER stomach bugs!

But dumping is NOT pleasant. and once you go through it, you'll understand that even the THOUGHT of soda will make you cringe.

my solution to dumping: a little bit of a protein shake AND A NAP!
Agreed Jiffy! I get fewer stomach bugs as well.

Laying down/sleeping is the best solution for me. I learned early out not to eat foods I was unfamiliar with at work, as attempting to teach while dumping is near impossible. It makes it a little easier to resist all the sugary treats that folks offer around the holidays, though.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

i vividly remember having some soda and feeling it travel in AN ENORMOUS LUMP throughout my digestive tract. good heavens, it was uncomfortable!!!!
Old 07-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #9  

A friend of mine, who had RNY over 10 years ago, is able to drink diet soda and seltzer water without any problems. In fact, other than coffee, it is all she drinks. I just can't do it. A sip here or there is about all I can tolerate, which is fine with me.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #10  
Creating a Healthier Me

Jen and Jiffypop, you ladies are WONDERFUL! thank you so much for the clarification, and the advice about soda. I'm still feeling really lousy, nearly as bad as I did when this stomach thing first hit on Tuesday. I've just changed all my plans for the weekend. I think a little R&R will do me just fine.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

diyana - i'm more than 10 years postop.... and i DO allow myself ONE SERVING of soda about once or twice a month. NEVER NEVER NEVER consumed from a bottle or can - ALWAYS poured into a glass from a height of about 10 inches to get rid of a lot of the carbonation, and then sipped.

that's just me, though. oh. and neither Jen nor I answered your Q concerning how long a dumping episode lasts.

it varies. If i just feel it coming on and i DROP whatever I'm trying to eat, have some water, and some protein, i've managed to cut the misery to about a half hour.

GENERALLY, for me, it's about 2 hours, but i've had them last a bit longer as well. And to tell the truth, if it's been a really bad bout, i get a sort of hangover afterwards. Lots of water. no caffeine. straight and narrow eating path for the next 24 hours or so.

in other words, it's all manageable. Not pretty, but manageable.

Rest up this weekend! drink plenty of fluids. pamper yourself a bit. glad you're feeling better and that you seem to be coming out of this bug.

Last edited by jiffypop; 07-25-2014 at 10:35 PM.