Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 450?/450?/200

Height: 6'0

Default Waiting, Waiting and More Waiting.

I am waiting to find out more about a gastric bypass, apparently they will not start the pre-op process unless you have quit smoking for 6 months. So I am at a month in. (I had quit smoking for 3 months and then had a breakdown and smoked 4 packs of smokes and had to start again). I need this surgery. I just wish I hadn't have started smoking again. I am my own worst enemy.
mysticalsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

it's HARD!!!!! and the longer you've been smoking, the harder it is, i think. But seriously, stopping smoking is really important for the success of the surgery.

how are you approaching this? cold turkey? nicotine patch? medication? hope you find something that works for you.

and that you don't have another breakdown - NOBODY needs that....
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mysticalsunshine, I have not had gastric bypass but I quit smoking in 1993. I just quit cold turkey and have never had another cigarette, not that I didn't want to. My husband had a heart attack and we quit together. I think the thing that kept us away from cigarettes is that neither one of us wanted to be the one to smoke again. If he had started again, I know I would have too. It 's very hard, but always remember, it's so much better to quit altogether than to cut back. And eating is worse, because no matter how much you want to lose weight, you can't stop eating altogether. I was able to quit smoking but so far have not succeeded at weight loss. If you can, stay away from others who smoke, and every time you're tempted think of your desire to have this surgery. It will give you such a feeling of satisfaction when you succeed! Cigarettes are very expensive. Why not put away the money you normally would spend on cigarettes and you will have a little nest egg saved up when it's time to buy smaller clothes. Good luck to you.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #4  

Thanks for the replies, I have quit cold turkey, I had to do it that way because I tried cutting back about a thousand times and never ended up quitting so I have finally just quit cold turkey. I am on Welbutrin which helps with my depression and the cravings I was getting.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

Ya know, that's interesting about the wellbutrin helping with your cravings. I'm on it too, for depression, and it's amazing how it doesn't 'increase my food-seeking behavior.' There once was a product - same drug, different name- that was marketed as a smoking cessation product. wonder if it's still around....

but no matter what. congratulations that it's working!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #6  

Thank you for the reply, yes it helps with the cravings a lot! Which is a plus for me.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #7  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Congratulations on quitting. Wishing you the best!!!
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #8  

Thank you! It has been a battle that is for sure. But one I am going to win this time around because I need to have this surgery!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
Ya know, that's interesting about the wellbutrin helping with your cravings. I'm on it too, for depression, and it's amazing how it doesn't 'increase my food-seeking behavior.' There once was a product - same drug, different name- that was marketed as a smoking cessation product. wonder if it's still around....

but no matter what. congratulations that it's working!!!!!

I used to work in a mail-order pharmacy. I think it was Wellbutrin that was also used for smoking cessation, but you don't hear as much about it now that they came out with Chantix.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote