Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 311/270/170

Height: 5'9"

Default 2 Months!!!!

Oh my goodness... the time really does fly! I remember calling to make my appointment on December 12, and they couldn't get me in until January 22nd. I was so discouraged then... and look how far I am now.

I finally got the call last week to schedule my surgery. July 16th... which means, I being my fast in 6 weeks. I can NOT wait.
I'm so scared - not of the procedure, but of me not being able to follow through on the plan in place for me. I'm here, like all of you who have had the surgery before or who plan on having it, as someone who can not lose weight with dieting and exercise. What MENTALLY happens after surgery to make that switch? What can I do to lose the weight and to keep it off? It's terrifying to have such a huge challenge ahead of me and that part of me doubts my capability to do it right.

Well, the one motivation I have is that we booked a venue for our wedding! 8/8/15. I should be around 170 by the wedding, which means I'll buy my dress that month haha.
gnoff886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

WOW!!!! just plain WOW!!! see? time DOES fly! and that's actually one of the keys that i found was important to getting through the surgery and aftermath with success.

ONE DAY AT A TIME. ONE MINUTE AT A TIME. really. keep focused on what you're doing NOW [water, protein, exercise, vitamins], and the future will take care of itself.

Also, what you're describing is one of the BIGGEST reasons that we suggest making changes as soon as you've made the decision - it'll be - I don't actually want to say EASIER - but you'll be accustomed to paying attention to what you're eating and why, and more open to change.

i'm not gonna lie to you. The first three months or so ARE HARD. But [as you noted] time passes NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO. So, just keep focused on the right now, doing what you're supposed to do.

The flip side of that is that you'll also find yourself grinding your teeth [being frustrated, being angry, annoyed, sad and so on] and you won't know why. THAT's because you're trying to emotionally eat AND YOU CAN'T.

So, I hope that you've started recognizing what kicks you off into eating mode, and have been working on changing this - whether it's knitting furiously [hadda get that in!], or taking a walk, or talking to someone or chewing gum, or cleaning, or...... choose coping mechanism that works for you. And you might need more than one.

hope this helps - I'm so happy for you. and keep asking questions!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:30 AM   #3  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

Wow.. congratulations on the good news. I am 3 weeks and some days post op.

I wish you all the best on your journey... one word of advice try and be honest and true to the fast, i personally was a tad bad and it made me seriously stress near the end , i was literally pray i made weight.

looking forward to hearing your progress.
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 450?/450?/200

Height: 6'0

Good luck! I am very happy for you! I am starting my journey into getting the surgery and I am scared as anything that I won't be able to handle the diet part of it, I don't sit here and binge all day or anything but I am scared I won't be able to handle the eating part of it and what I can and can't eat and keep track of it.
mysticalsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #5  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

I too was worried most about the eating part after the surgery, especially emotional eating. It turns out it was the easiest part of the surgery. I had a fair amount of complications but did not find the eating part very difficult at all. It is a lot of work, always having the right food around and all the preparation, but I had very few cravings and little or no desire to overeat. I agree with jiffy, the earlier you start the behaviours the easier it will be to continue them after the surgery. It is not like any other journey I have ever taken
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #6  

You guys are amazing!! I checked back in here today, when I have 27 days to go, and I loved these motivational responses. It keeps me on track! My pre-op is June 30th. 11 days away!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticalsunshine View Post
Good luck! I am very happy for you! I am starting my journey into getting the surgery and I am scared as anything that I won't be able to handle the diet part of it, I don't sit here and binge all day or anything but I am scared I won't be able to handle the eating part of it and what I can and can't eat and keep track of it.
How are you doing, mysticalsunshine? How's the surgery waiting process?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
WOW!!!! just plain WOW!!! see? time DOES fly! and that's actually one of the keys that i found was important to getting through the surgery and aftermath with success.

ONE DAY AT A TIME. ONE MINUTE AT A TIME. really. keep focused on what you're doing NOW [water, protein, exercise, vitamins], and the future will take care of itself.

Also, what you're describing is one of the BIGGEST reasons that we suggest making changes as soon as you've made the decision - it'll be - I don't actually want to say EASIER - but you'll be accustomed to paying attention to what you're eating and why, and more open to change.

i'm not gonna lie to you. The first three months or so ARE HARD. But [as you noted] time passes NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO. So, just keep focused on the right now, doing what you're supposed to do.

The flip side of that is that you'll also find yourself grinding your teeth [being frustrated, being angry, annoyed, sad and so on] and you won't know why. THAT's because you're trying to emotionally eat AND YOU CAN'T.

So, I hope that you've started recognizing what kicks you off into eating mode, and have been working on changing this - whether it's knitting furiously [hadda get that in!], or taking a walk, or talking to someone or chewing gum, or cleaning, or...... choose coping mechanism that works for you. And you might need more than one.

hope this helps - I'm so happy for you. and keep asking questions!!!!!!
So wise and so true! I'm one month post-vsg and it is getting better, but yes, it is rough. I downloaded some good books on emotional eating to my Kindle that I'm working through, writing everything down that I eat, and dealing with my feelings (which I used to avoid and stuff).

I think I went back to work too soon (2 weeks post-op). Yesterday, I opened my snack drawer at work (thankfully I cleaned it out when I was pre-op dieting) and was disappointed there was nothing in there. So, I stress eat as well. It's hard to just sip water when you want something sweet or salty.

I am also adjusting to portion size and chewing (chew, chew, chew). I'm on soft foods now and able to consume 2oz at a time. My head wants to keep going but my body is full...it's a sensation I am adjusting to.

Went to a happy hour last night and got plain iced tea (no splenda at the bar). It was hard to watch everyone with their drinks and snacks, but I made it through this one and I will make it through more.

I wish I had read emotional eating books prior to surgery and had more preparation for the realities of what life is like post-op. I am grateful I am not physically hungry now, but that is one small aspect to why I overate.

Good luck on your journey. If you prepare yourself well, it will make it less surprising when you encounter these new realities.
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote