Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 4'11

Default And I'm pregnant 😕

I'm so stupid! I have a 15 months old and 8 year old. I'm only 5 months out. I started with heartburn last week, just took a test and I'm pregnant. I feel so horrible and selfish but I'm not ready for another baby. I'm not even sure my body can handle it. I've been having horrible cramps, I just thought my period was coming. I have a dr appt Monday.
Anyone get pregnant so soon after? I had a aunt who had the surgery 10 years ago and she became pregnant and almost died... I don't remember the details but something was leaking into her stomach.
Disneygirl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

If you haven't already, schedule an appt with your surgeon's office. You state you have a doctor's appt on Monday...is this with your PCP or surgeon? You definitely need labs run. The fact that you weren't taking vitamins prior means you might be deficient in areas that a growing fetus needs, like folic acid. You might not even have to go in first. You could call them, see if they could order the labs, and then they will be available to discuss when you see them Monday.

While not the ideal situation, I'm sure it is not the first time this has occurred at your surgeon's practice. There is no sense beating yourself up; with careful monitoring you and the baby will probably be fine. I would just encourage you to be proactive and get those labs done asap.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

Absolutely agree with Jen - you're going to have to be absolutely perfect with your vitamins, and your doc will no doubt have other instructions for you. CALL NOW!!!!!

and BTW - congratulations on the baby!

FWIW, many women find themselves more fertile after surgery because of the hormone changes related to weight loss. So, as Jen said, you're NOT the first person to get pregnant soon after surgery. But, the baby will take ALL the nutrients it needs from YOU, and you run a high risk of getting very depleted. so ya gotta make the doc appts. and do what they say. and not skip appointments. and not skimp on the vitamins.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Congrats on your pregnancy. I hope everything turns out well!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 4'11

I just moved to a different state than my surgeon. I have an appointment Monday for a sonogram only that ill be paying out of pocket for. My insurance doesn't start until October 1st. I guess I'll have to find a new surgeon? Idk. Obviously I'll make an appt with an OBGYN around my new area but do I need to see a surgeon too? Would a pcp be enough?
Disneygirl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

My vote: ob/gyn, then PCP. and discuss a recommendation for a surgeon with them - they'll know who does this in your area, and since they'll be keeping on top of your 'delicate condition,' they darned better have a working relationship with a surgeon who's gone through this.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:44 AM   #7  
Releasing the inner hiker

I don't think you necessarily need a surgeon, however, you want to make sure whoever you select has had experience with WLS pregnancies. The ob/gyn practice I was going to specifically stated that I would have to get WLS pregnancy advice from elsewhere, as it wasn't a specialty of theirs. After two years postop, I'm actually migrating away from my surgeon, as my PCP is knowledgeable (or at least willing to learn) about any issues I tend to have.

When you go in on Monday for the sonogram, you might be able to get a written order for labs, which you can hold on to until October 1. That way, at least when the insurance starts, you have the order ready to go and don't need to wait longer. Just a thought...
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #8  
Aussie :)

S/C/G: 101.4kg/98.3kg/70kg

Height: 5'11

Just wanted to say congratulations on your pregnancy, I hope everything goes well for you
mzshaunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #9  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Disneygirl do you have to go to the doctor on base or can you go outside of the base? I used Physicians and Midwives with all of my pregnancies, their practice is great. Check them out. I didn't have surgery but two of my boys are only 14 months apart so I know exactly how you feel. Wishing you the best.
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote