Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #1  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Default Yikes!!! Two days until surgery

Hi Folks,

I am a long time poster @3FC but have never posted on the WLS thread. I am 2 days out from a duodenal switch. I have been preparing for at least a year. This is the first time I have felt nervous. Not so much about the surgery. More about will I be able to get back to my life in time to do the things I want to do. I am a law student and school starts August 20. My surgeon assures me I will be up and out of the house in 2 weeks, but I am skeptical.

I have been thinking about this for a long time and have a lot of confidence in my team (psychologist, dietician, endocrinologist, and surgeon). I guess it is just "crunch time" with a few last minute nerves. Today is my last day at my current job and I guess I am nervous about that too.

My husband died suddenly last year and the hardest part about the surgery is doing it without him. I have been crying a lot and missing him. I set up a CaringBridge page for support. (If you would like access, you can PM me with an email address). I am really looking forward to the surgery but it is definitely harder doing it without my sweetie, Mark.

That last paragraph was good for a cry. I guess it really is "one day at a time".

Best,

Dee aka active adventurer
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #2  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Hey Dee! You're going to rock the surgery Hang in there, and know that Mark is still watching over you. I'm sure this is nerve wracking stuff, but you've spent a lot of time preparing and I'm certain you've done it well. Do your very best to put as much stress aside as you can and remember that this is a first step into a new life that will be much different but hopefully also much improved. Besides, we all know that first step is always the hardest...mostly because it usually feels more like a giant leap than a step! I will be rooting for you!
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #3  
motivational guru wannabe

S/C/G: 205/205/185 by spring

Height: 5'4"

Thoughts and prayers to you as you go through this difficult transition.
boatingmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Sending out HUGS and PRAYERS....Things will go fine!!!!!!!!!!! Just think....a new life, new doors, new opportunities.......I am excited about your next Chapter with Destiny...

P.S.- I'm also a law school survivor.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Good luck to you
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #6  
Hanging in the Heartland

Thank you for your sweet words. I am now 8 days post op and have lost 25 pounds. I am stunned. They said I would lose 30-50 pounds the first month. I was very skeptical. While in the hospital, I received a photo of a memorial bench, honoring my late husband, that will be placed at the state fair for years to come. It really gave me a sense of peace. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Dee
Old 09-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #7  

Dee how are you doing? Im new here and just read this thread. Im coming up on my surgery very soon. I hope you are doing well. My heart goes out to you with loosing your husband. I am sure he would be proud of you for making this journey. I wish you much success!
dream4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #8  
Hanging in the Heartland

Hi Folks,

I am a little more than a month out from my surgery. things went well. Some pain problems came up but I am off the pain meds for a week and driving again. I have so far lost 85 pounds (35 pre op and 50 post op). I am thrilled!

I have not found the post op diet hard to follow. A little boring maybe,but as I have been able to introduce new foods, less so.I find having the energy and focus to do law school very challenging. I just try to take it one day at a time.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and support. I hope your surgery goes well dream4 me.

Dee