Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 AM   #1  

Default VSG question!

So I asked this in another thread but realized it probably ought to move on to it's own, so as I said...

Quote:
I'm one appointment away from finally getting to talk to my surgeon about which procedure I want, as I'm still in a tossup between the band and the sleeve. Have (any) of you had any downsides you don't mind sharing? I mostly see people talking about how much they love their sleeve, but rarely what they don't love about it! I know everything has it's ups and downs and I'll be sure to talk about it with my surgeon, just curious how people are doing with it.
Adding on to that, my primary concern with the sleeve is that I’ve read about people experiencing a type of dumping syndrome like reaction. Do any of you experience this frequently? Are there foods you can’t eat because of this? I’ve just been thinking about the permanency of the procedure and like, I don’t want to never be able to have a bit of cake on my birthday or a cookie on Christmas or something you know? Sorry if that sounds silly, just trying to think every possible angle through. I will definitely ask my surgeon about this too, but like I said before, I wanna know real life experiences.

replies from over here:
Carly – I’m not really worried about the slower loss because the sleeve and the band are both notably slower than bypass, but still it’s worth noting, thank you! The fills/unfills are really the only thing that’s making me seriously second guess the band. I’ve been thinking about it for the past six months and I’m still undecided! Guess that’s a good thing though, since I haven’t even talked to the surgeon personally yet. Yeah, the girls on youtube who’ve had success with the band are another thing that really draws me to it. I don’t know how many hours I’ve killed going through people’s entire journey via vlog. Still, it’s so hard to say how it might work on an individual basis which sucks. Thank you very much for the reply

mlk58 – I’ve actually never thought of it that way, but I really stopped to think about that one. There’s been plenty of cases where people with the band have had complications and then had to have it removed before switching to the sleeve or bypass, which is a scary thought. On the other hand, there’s also plenty of people who have had a lot of success with the band. It’s really hard for me to let go of the fact that it’s one hundred percent reversible! Such a hard choice.

Last edited by thinkfit; 05-03-2013 at 02:12 AM.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 318.5/301/180

Height: 5'6

there's a great app/site called vertical sleeve talk. I'd look there for the cons. my sister in law had the sleeve done almost a yr ago. she's able to tolerate sweets. in my class they said vsg doesn't have a dumping syndrome but who knows.
I just assume you're body would just need to get a tolerance for it again. But if I thought it'd never be able to eat cake again id never get this surgery in a few short hours lol.
Good luck on finding answers!
Oh also I've read about alot of revisions from band to sleeve. But I'm sure people have success with the band.
2Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #3  

So I've been browsing around verticalsleevetalk for an hour now and I'm pretty sure I'll kill the whole afternoon there! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thank you so so much! I know that the sleeve doesn't have actual dumping syndrome but there's people who report having a similar reaction where they cannot tolerate certain things anymore, namely sweets and carbs. From what I'm seeing, that seems to be in excess though, not in general, which is perfectly fine. I'm sure it's on a case to case basis though, but I'm glad to hear a positive reaction.

The rate of band to sleeve revisions is the number one thing that's making me second guess it! Good luck on your surgery today, be sure to let us know how it goes!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #4  

Okay... I've been reading all day and after a long talk with my mom, I'm finally letting go of wanting the band. Once I sat down and really wrote out all of the pros/cons of the band vs sleeve, really the only thing that the band has going for it is that it's removable. For me, the sleeve trumps it in every single other aspect. The fact that the sleeve is permanent is scary to me, but I've realized I don't intend for my weight loss to be temporary, so why should my tool be? I'm getting ready to talk to my surgeon so I've been putting in extra effort to figure out what I want and why I want it before we discuss whatever his suggestion may be.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all of your for all your help these past six months! I'm very relieved to have finally come to a concrete decision, and I'm sure my surgeon will agree with me as he said in the seminar he was trying to steer people away from the band but he would still do it on a case to case basis.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #5  

I noticed that at the bottom of the page and went to check it out, but I just cannot be swayed back to the band again! Weird since I've spent literally years insisting that if I ever did it, it'd be the band, but after writing everything out yesterday, getting the band just seems like a pointless nightmare to me. Say it DOES actually work for me, disregarding the inevitable removal, how many times would I have to go to the doctor and stick a big needle in my stomach before I started losing? How many times would I have to go back because it was too tight and I was throwing everything up? Being able to see/feel the port pretty prominently once I lost all my weight would also freak me out, never mind the icky/dangerous possibilities that come with a man made object in your body. I don't know how I ignored all this before! I was just so stuck on being able to have it removed, but like you said, it really is temporary if you look at the over time data. It's pretty much a given that some time down the road, something will go wrong with it and it's gonna have to come out/be revised to another surgery.

Unfortunately no! Thursday is my last visit of my six month pre op program, and since I've already cleared blood work and the psychiatrist, all that's left to do is meet with the surgeon, submit to insurance, schedule a date & take the short pre op class! It's coming up finally
Old 05-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #6  

Height: 5'2"

I'm 4 months post op VSG and am so happy I had it done. As far as dumping, I don't have that. I can eat ANYTHING lol. Only one time so far have I experienced what I would assume is similar to dumping and it was when I was maybe a month post op and I had a few nutter butter cookies. It made me sweat, nauseas, heart pounding, etc. I kind of wish I did have that issue all the time with sweets and carbs.
Jpye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #7  

Wow, only four months? I don't know how much of your loss was pre-op but still, congrats that's impressive! Ick, though as I've been reading, it seems like the closer you are to your surgery date, the more likely you are to experience intolerance to certain foods. On one hand I think there could definitely be an upside to just flat out not being able to eat certain things, but I'm relieved every time I hear of someone who hasn't had that problem consistently haha. thanks for replying
Old 05-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 302/268/200

Height: 5'7"

I am 6months out. The only problem I have is with fats. I am very sensitive to them now. Sugar doesn't bother me. One subject that was brought up on VST was the subject of stomach cancer which I had discussed with the doctor. and also colon cancer. without much stomach to work with. There are times I wish I had had the RNY. speedier weightloss and if absolutely needed it is reversible. The band was given a moment of thought before I went to my first intro to weightloss surgery meeting. I wish you luck..it isn't easy
sueBhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #9  

Height: 5'2"

All of my weight loss has been lost post-op....I didn't have to follow a pre-op diet!
Jpye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueBhoney View Post
I am 6months out. The only problem I have is with fats. I am very sensitive to them now. Sugar doesn't bother me. One subject that was brought up on VST was the subject of stomach cancer which I had discussed with the doctor. and also colon cancer. without much stomach to work with. There are times I wish I had had the RNY. speedier weightloss and if absolutely needed it is reversible. The band was given a moment of thought before I went to my first intro to weightloss surgery meeting. I wish you luck..it isn't easy
Thanks for chiming in, I really appreciate it! That's definitely something to consider, as I've been roaming around VST these past days I've been learning a ton - that being said, I've also come up with a few questions I wanna go over with my surgeon when we meet, so that's helpful too. Thanks! It definitely isn't easy, but it looks like you're doing great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpye View Post
All of my weight loss has been lost post-op....I didn't have to follow a pre-op diet!
Omg, good job! You're doing amazingly well!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 282

Height: 168cm

I dunno what you mean by dumping (Do you mean throwing up?) I had that once, because I tried some hot fries wayyyy too early and it just sat and didn't digest and when I ate dinner hours later it came back up. That said, it was my own fault. Otherwise i can tolerate pretty much anything on my stages now - I love getting creative with my foods.

Getting the VSG was the best thing I could have done!!
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 318.5/301/180

Height: 5'6

Think fit. There's a private Facebook forum I belong to for May sleevers. All of us in the group have either just gotten sleeved. On the preop. Or close to preop diet. If u have Facebook I can see if u can add you. Then u can see what we are all going thru right after surgery.
2Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne View Post
I dunno what you mean by dumping (Do you mean throwing up?) I had that once, because I tried some hot fries wayyyy too early and it just sat and didn't digest and when I ate dinner hours later it came back up. That said, it was my own fault. Otherwise i can tolerate pretty much anything on my stages now - I love getting creative with my foods.

Getting the VSG was the best thing I could have done!!
Yeah, basically just getting really sick after eating specific types of food. I'm glad it's working for you! I'm looking forward to getting creative, as much as I love the stuff I'm eating now, it does get a little repetitive and boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Chi View Post
Think fit. There's a private Facebook forum I belong to for May sleevers. All of us in the group have either just gotten sleeved. On the preop. Or close to preop diet. If u have Facebook I can see if u can add you. Then u can see what we are all going thru right after surgery.
That would be amazing! I'll pm you.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 335/TICKER/180

Height: 5'8"

I'm hopefully getting sleeved soon and I thought about the band, but the more I read about the two... The more I felt the VSG was the right choice for me. There are so many people on VST that had or have the band and needed a revision to sleeve.
aasshhlleeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:33 AM   #15  

My thoughts exactly! I'm meeting with my surgeon tomorrow and he has no idea that I've changed my mind about wanting the band - I'm excited for his response because I know he was going to try and convince me to choose sleeve or bypass haha.