Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #1  
MaryGee

Question Six Months Post WLS-What Are You Eating?

I'm just starting "the process" - going to Information Meeting next Thursday. My question is this: Six months after surgery, after fully recovering from the surgery, what can I expect to be able to eat.

Could you give me an example of a typical day's menu.
Also, does it make a difference what type of WLS you've had?

Thanks for your input!
forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

I had a lap distal RNY 20 months ago. At six months out, due to strictures and food intolerance, I was just starting to consume foods that weren't pureed or soft. My experience was atypical; most people can tolerate solid food by month two or three.

Regardless, after WLS, you need to eat protein forward. That means your measured protein source is consumed first and then if space remains in your pouch, you can eat veggies or fruit. Carbs should always be limited.

By six months out, most foods can be consumed in moderation. Some foods you may never be able to eat again due to reactive hypoglycemia, dumping, or food intolerance. The idea that you'll "never be able to enjoy (...) again," is usually false. I, for example, have no problem with sugar (dang), but can't have heavy starches like rice or pasta, as they cause me great discomfort and sickness.

I think I was eating 1/2 cup amounts at six months and at a year, I could consume about a cup of food at a time (depending upon the food). For example, I can eat a lot of lettuce, but beef only about 4 ounces at once.

I'm not sure if that was the type of information you were looking for. I no longer recall my exact menu at six months, but it probably wouldn't help you anyway, as most people recover quicker than I did.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #3  
MaryGee

Jen, thanks for your response - it's exactly the information I'm looking for. I'm worried I'll feel deprived after the surgery. Although it seems everyone who has had WLS is so happy with their new life - I don't see people bemoaning the fact that they can't go to a Chinese buffet!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 348/185/170

Height: 5.10/177cm

I am just at my six months now and I can tell you I eat....EVERYTHING! There are just a few things I cant tolerate (diery products.except cheese..I can eat cheese)..some foods that come down heavy (potato)..and some that I fear (sugar)...but I do have small piece of chocolate, or a bite of cake or anything sweet..but thats just a bite or so. At this point My mind is starting to crave healthy food...becouse my body is tolerating it so much better... I am enjoying foods that taste good and are healthy...but it is like a 1/4 of what I ate before. If I ate the whole pizza before...I can eat 1/4 of it now..and yes I do have pizza from time to time
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #5  
MaryGee

Thanks Sleepy - I appreciate your response. For some reason I had a fear of eating "mushy" foods or else suffering "dumping" glad to hear I'd get back to "real" food
Old 04-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

Hi forreal - and i gotta add that it's pretty likely that the way you think about food in 6 months will be WAY different than you think about it now. WLS is a huge help - and a tool - for people who are willing to change everything they knew - or think they knew - about food and eating.

SSOOOOOO, my suggestion: go to the docs meeting. learn as much as you can, and think about how you want to live the rest of your life. I gotta tell you - buffets are NOT appealing to me anymore. Give me a couple of dumplings and a little veg, or some hot and sour soup, and i'm truly completely happy!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #7  
MaryGee

Thanks Jiffypop -- I haven't done a Buffet in ages - usually I have egg drop soup and chicken wings these days, and I'm happy with that.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 348/185/170

Height: 5.10/177cm

Exactly what Jiffy said...you will be thinking so much different about food...you will most like eat much healthier...ingredients will be healthier..your choises will be healthier...even if your body could tolerate something, your mind won't
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I am just at my six months now and I can tell you I eat....EVERYTHING! There are just a few things I cant tolerate (diery products.except cheese..I can eat cheese)..some foods that come down heavy (potato)..and some that I fear (sugar)...but I do have small piece of chocolate, or a bite of cake or anything sweet..but thats just a bite or so. At this point My mind is starting to crave healthy food...becouse my body is tolerating it so much better... I am enjoying foods that taste good and are healthy...but it is like a 1/4 of what I ate before. If I ate the whole pizza before...I can eat 1/4 of it now..and yes I do have pizza from time to time
I agree sleepy! I'm at 6 months this past week and I eat pretty much anything I want but I make way better choices than I did before. Everyone's different for as how foods will react to your body but all I suggest is trying it. If it makes you woosy to your stomach just make a mental note to not eat it again. And like sleepy I do have a bite of cake or something if I'm at a dinner or gathering and don't feel guilty for it. I do however usually make sure that most everything is sugar free because like you I do not want the dumping syndrome lol. I eat alot of salad's and have my dressing on the side as well. If I do decide to eat something off a menu I stick to the kids plates or share with someone.
christyk28 is offline   Reply With Quote