Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #1  
Moooove It

S/C/G: 255/248/150

Height: 5'4"

Default What other Forums on 3FC Should I Post In?

Seeing the statement/rules about this section on Weight Loss Surgery, I'm wondering which other forums work to post in? Trying to set my "mindset" toward health and would like to get more involved, but I don't want to upset others who are working hard without surgery, unfairly. Or start any fights/drama since it looks like there may have been some in the past?

What works for you?
MadCowOnTheMend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

the exercise forum is one of the best resources on the internet for information. no matter what your abilities are, there's practical stuff to use. given your protein issues, i'd also suggest the vegetarian forum. they have a lot of good vegan ideas in there. I pop in there occasionally.

the note at the top isn't there because we have issues going into other areas, it's because we've had a number of folks who come in here to tell us that we're doing it wrong, and if only we'd .... [fill in the blank - it always comes down to what THEY'RE doing] we could avoid surgery.

And then they ask for WHY WE DID IT. Like we have to justify our choices! you know firsthand how much goes into the decision, and that it's never a casual idea that we woke up one morning and thought surgery might be a good idea.

If you have any issues as you post in other sections that you can't resolve on your own - like someone being really rude about the surgery or calling you lazy because of your choice or whatever [not just something like 'well, i'd never have surgery'] - click the REPORT icon [it's the little egg with the exclamation point under your avatar]. It goes directly to the moderator forum, and one of the moderators will DO SOMETHING. send a warning, delete the post, ban the offender, try to mediate. it won't be ignored.

In general, this community is extremely supportive and helpful, but as with any group, there are always a few ...

oh. and some of the forums are more social chats than others, and feel free to jump in. Each forum has its own personality - some have daily check in threads [hasn't worked well with this one - as people start functioning well after their surgery, they tend to start living more and posting less], others have week-long or month-long accountability threads for food and exercise [again, hasn't worked all that well in this one, as everyone has idiosyncracies with what works and what doesn't].

hope this helps! and keep on looking until you find what makes you comfortable.

Last edited by jiffypop; 03-06-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: more info
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowOnTheMend View Post
Seeing the statement/rules about this section on Weight Loss Surgery, I'm wondering which other forums work to post in? Trying to set my "mindset" toward health and would like to get more involved, but I don't want to upset others who are working hard without surgery, unfairly. Or start any fights/drama since it looks like there may have been some in the past?

What works for you?
I don't see why you shouldn't feel welcome in any forum you are interested in. I haven't had WLS but don't see why if you've having it that should keep you away from the challenges or exercise or chatter or books or healthy recipes or goals or clothes shopping or the obstacles (I could go on!) subforums. And as I understand it, the surgery itself is not as 'easy' as some think, has its own challenges, is just another approach. We're all in this together!

Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #4  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Oh, I'm with MountainMomma, no WLS either. If anyone has a problem then it is on them! Like Jiffy said, I agree that surgery is NOT the easy way out. I would never consider that as an unfair advantage or anything like that and I would hope no one else does either. Please, please feel free to post ANYWHERE you like!!! !!!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #5  

Just echoing everyone above, you're absolutely free to post wherever tickles your fancy to be honest. I've even seen gals with WLS in the biggest loser competitions, so I'm pretty sure most of the people on this website are supportive no matter what. Even though some are still ignorant about what exactly WLS is/does/entails, I'd say you're safe & encouraged to get involved wherever you'd like!
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #6  

Welcome madcow!! I look forward to you posting on other threads too! We all need support, whether it's celebrating NSVs or help with an issue we are having. It doesn't matter what plan we are on to conquer our weightloss issues.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #7  
the muse of memory

Echoing everyone else. I don't think there is anything 'easy' about WLS and you have the same challenges that everyone else does, with the added challenges sometimes of trying to get ENOUGH in you - protein, supplements, food. Participate whereever you feel comfortable!

Oh, and Jiffy is right. I don't really /participate/ in the exercise forums, but I did get some great advice there that helped me figure out what videos I wanted to order, just by lurking.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote