Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 318.5/301/180

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkfit View Post
Hey 2Chi, I'm planning on getting a gastric band, but I just thought I'd pop in and let you know I'm here to support you if you ever need it! We're in very close circumstances (height & weight) though you've lost a bit more weight than I have already. I also have those moments of being scared and wondering what I'm doing, but I know deep down that this is what's right for me. You stole the words right out of my mouth on that last bit there - I also feel like surgery is going to be the 'rebirth' I need to start living the life I always knew I could
No to be honest, I've gained weight, but I feel like a failure so I dont want to change my current weight lol.

Thanks for your support ladies, I really do appreciate it!
2Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #17  

Hmm.. I responded yesterday but I guess it never went thru!
Thanks Thinkfit! Yes we are very similar. But to be honest, Ive gained some weight, but Im too ashamed to adjust it on here

I went to my Dr today and he was really excited that I was interested in surgery. He suggests lapband because its reversible, however, after reading reviews, I think Im still leaning towards the Sleeve.

My biggest issue now is that I keep reading tons of reviews and they freak me out!!! I know its good to be educated, but damn... I wouldnt want to go thru all of this and become one of those with complications. Oh, my Dr also recommened a surgeon for me, who just so happens to be the one I was planning on using anyway!
Im not sure if people with complications just had inexperienced surgeons or what. But aside from being big, I have no health issues. I hate being so wishywashy. I need to stop reading reviews!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:09 AM   #18  

Oh believe me, I've been there before! A few months back I was at 291 and its not a huge huge gain, but it took me quite a while to put it up to 298! I was embarrassed and ashamed and I thought for sure everyone would notice and shake their heads, but to be honest, I'll bet the greater majority of us here have been in the same boat. The only thing that really matter is not the number on your profile, but the fact that you're still here and you're still trying, aka, "Fall down seven times, get back up eight." No one is going to think less of you, and you shouldn't think less of yourself. Regains are never easy, but as long as you get back up and try again, you've got nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm glad your doctor is on board and supportive! That should be a tremendous help. Personally I'm looking to get a band because, firstly, I also have no comorbidities so I think I can aid the slower weight loss (vs other surgeries) with lots of exercise and whatnot, but secondly, the thought of getting an irreversible procedure that may have some really unpleasant lifelong side effects at twenty years old is frightening to me. That's not to say I've ruled it out completely, but I'd definitely prefer a band, even with all of the complications that are possible. Because there's complications to every surgery, but at least if something goes wrong with a band there's a high chance the problem will go away with removal. There's a slim chance it won't, but that's the risk you take with surgery in the first place. The thing I've learned about the lap band (this also goes for the other surgeries and pretty much anything else completely unrelated that can be bought, though) is that on the internet, it's much easier to find a bad review than it is to find a good one. If you order an iPod from Amazon, the average consumer isn't going to go leave a review about how it came on time and works as expected. However, if it arrives two weeks late and won't turn on, you're probably going to go say so to try and prevent someone else from having the same experience. I'm not saying to disregard the bad experiences, but that's just something to keep in mind as you do your research.

Anyway, it's to each his/her own when it comes to choosing a wls. When it comes down to it, whatever you feel most comfortable with is what you should do. Sorry for the novel! haha

Last edited by thinkfit; 03-12-2013 at 03:59 AM.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #19  

No I loved your "novel"!!! I have a bad habit of over analyzing! So I really appreciate what you said because it makes me see reason. Yes I know all the risks, yet I still continue to read crazy stories that freak me out! I just read some about Lupus and it freaked me out. Then I remembered I dont have lupus so thats not an issue lol. You are so smart at 20. Im 34 :/
Old 03-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #20  

Awesome cause I have a tendency to get wordy :P I'm glad I could help! I know when I first started looking into this (I think I was sixteen/seventeen? yikes) I was scared out of my mind. That's probably why I didn't get to a place where I was comfortable with it until now. Lol @ the lupus issue! I did stuff like that too! I've seen some pretty bad stories out there, but with the extreme cases, they're just that - the extreme cases. It's true that anyone could end up in that position, but it's also true that you could have a bad reaction dyeing your hair at home and it will all fall out! Possible, but it's worst case scenario. Also... thank you! Haha, it doesn't matter what age you are to be honest, this is major surgery and any sane person would be scared! The most important thing I think is to learn as much as you can - know all possible outcomes, including the bad ones - and be sure to ask your surgeon ten thousand questions if you've got them! This definitely isn't something I'd ever want to go into without covering all of my bases first.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #21  

I like the idea of Lapband because I fear excess skin. With sleeve, you lose like 2lbs a week (i think) which is fine for me! I also plan on doing weight training! I actually enjoy it. (last yr I was doing alot of cardio/weights, and I looooved loved loved that I could finally feel biceps!!!!) Cardio kinda sucks. I like running even though I can only run like half a mile. So Im hoping I can get all "muscley" to even out the excess skin because I dont want to have a great weight loss then have to deal with removal surgery. Im gonna talk to the surgeon and ask about Lapband still though.

Oh and have you seen this?? Immediatley my crazy brain imagined the beads becoming dislodged and flowing thru my veins. Seems like it can be a new weight loss procedure, but i dont think Id want to weight till its out of the experimental phase.

http://triblive.com/usworld/nation/3...#axzz2NJKyv6Sc
Old 03-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #22  

Excess skin is definitely a big factor for me too, which is why I like the slow loss of the band. I agree on the gaining muscle! Last summer I was super into it and I swear I saw abs under there haha. I know it's possible I'll still have some extra anyway, but I'm hoping to minimize it as much as possible, especially because more often than not the skin removal is gonna end up being out of pocket costs and I don't exactly have $10,000+ lying around!

Oh man, I know it's still really early in their research, but I would be terrified that those little beads would go block off the wrong blood flow and I' have to end up getting my toe amputated or something! It's interesting, but there's no way I'd go for it without a LOT more information. I mean I know they have to have participants to get through any experimental stage but... no way, I don't care if it's just a new formula of skin cream, I need someone else to try it first lmao

edit; I totally forgot to mention how much I hate cardio. Like maybe this will get better when I lose weight, but right now it is killer! When I run, my lungs are on fire in like thirty seconds. So ridiculous. I know it's something you gotta build up but man does it hurt

Last edited by thinkfit; 03-12-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #23  

My last sentence wasn't accurate. There's no way in **** I'd get an experimental procedure!!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #24  
Old Cackler

hi ladies - you two are really doing your research - and that's the best thing you can do. 2CHI: the link doesn't work anymore, but if these researchers are blocking off an artery, it doesn't sound like a good idea. Things fall off when blood flow is blocked. REALLY! So, I'm almost glad I can't see the article!

Now, let's talk about loose skin. Some people have none. Some people exercise and lose slowly and have none, but others have lots. Some people lost fast and may or may not have a lot of excess skin whether or not they exercise. Making sure you're getting enough protein, calcium, and water can help, but it's no guarantee.

Having said all that [and probably depressing you], the younger you are, the less likely you are to have saggy skin. So, 20-year-old Daisy, you stand a good chance of not having excess skin. And 2Chi - you look like you're young, too ..

But MOI? there's no hope. I have saggy baggy skin all over the place. But I'm still moving and feeling better and that's what matters. I'll live with the skin until I can get it taken care of...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #25  
Old Cackler

Thanks, Carly - i ALWAYS learn something from you!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #26  

I've decided Im going to stop doing research until after I've spoken to the surgeon. Its just making me crazy!!
So im just gonna ask this once question so I dont have to look it up and accidently stumble upon something else lol.
Carly, you said the sleeve has the risk of a leak which I know. But doesnt the risk of leaks go away once the stomach is healed? Or is it there a risk forever?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #27  

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #28  

Finally have my first appt with the surgeon on the 28th! YaY!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #29  
Dobeigh

S/C/G: SW: 297, CW: 273, GW: 150

Height: 5'5"

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Chi View Post
Hi! So glad theres a forum on this. I went to a seminar last week and im currently waiting to make an appt to speak with the surgeons about the sleeve (and financing since my stupid ins doesnt cover it... siiiigh)
By nature, Im a worrier, especially when it comes to my health. Not sure why getting fat never worried me. Anyway, did any of you feel extremely nervous beforehand? I really want the surgery, but I fear it at the same time. Is there anything you guys did that helped you cope? Because the thought of having an actual surgery date freaks me out! Id be nervous from the day I get the surgery date until it actually happens!
The only time I feel like that is when I have to book a flight. Apparently my fear of flying is equal to the thought of surgery. My Dr once gave me a prescription for xanax for a flight I was taking, but I never filled it because I feel like I should deal with my fears on my own. Any ideas on how I could keep calm??? Aside from envisioning my "new" life to come?
Thanks!
I felt extremely nervous before I got my gastric sleeve. The good thing is they make medication for that. Once they gave me something for my nerves, I went right into that OR and was like "Let's Get This Done!!" If you feel like your nerves are that bad, go ahead and fill your script for Xanax. It will definitely help. And when you go to surgery, take your Xanax that morning (you'll be allowed to) and ask them for something before surgery too. The hard part is not the surgery... it's when you wake up. The first week, you feel like absolute ****! I thought I was going to die, I felt so bad. After that, it has been smooth sailing for me. I'm almost 3 weeks out and I feel great! And I'm down 24 pounds!
dobeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #30  

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Progress is fun haha