Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/213/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default A question about protein supplements

Hello!

I have a question about protein supplements and I figured this group had to be the most knowledgeable on them.

Background: I know I haven't been getting a lot of protein from my diet. I've been exercising so much that I just don't have the energy to cook. I pretty much survive off of Clif Bars and water. So I was hoping that you all could tell me which are the best protein supplements you've tried. I'm seriously hoping to get at minimum 50% of my protein needs from either a pre-packaged shake or protein powder.

Also, could you tell me if you mix anything else in with the powder when you blend it?

Thank you!!
Learning 2 Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

Unfortunately, it is hard to state what is best, as everyone's tastes are different. I personally like Syntrax protein powders because they taste good mixed with water. If you like coffee, Click makes both a caffeinated and a decaf protein powder. Finally, Unjury makes a chicken soup flavor that I love.

I have mixed sugar-free syrups and sugar-free pudding mixes with protein powder to change the tastes up a bit; the cheesecake pudding flavor can be yummy. I also mix a scoop of Syntrax Chocolate protein powder with a scoop of mocha Click for a fancy flavored coffee. Finally, I also like to mix a bit of PB2 with the Syntrax chocolate, for a nice peanut-butter/chocolate shake.

I buy most of my protein powders from Nashua Nutrition. They sell protein powder samples for $1.99, which allows you to try out different flavors without investing in a whole container.

As for protein bars, I used to consume a lot of Pure Protein until I grew tired of them. PowerCrunch wafers are tasty as are Quest bars, but Quest bars are pricey and very, very dense.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/213/150

Height: 5' 5"

I will give Isopure a try. Wow 50g of protein! Fantastic! I'll go to the Vitamin Shoppe tomorrow to pick up the Dutch Chocolate. Most people seem to like it.

I also never thought of adding protein powder to anything other than a shake. It may be good in a bowl of oatmeal as well. Hmmm.

Thank you!
Learning 2 Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #4  

I do the powder protein also but I had a problem making myself make them lol. It's not so much a lazy thing but I work two jobs and a I'm exhausted by the time I get home lol. So my dr's office suggested Premier Protein shakes...they're already made and they have 30 grams of protein so I drink one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I've tried both the vanilla and the chocolate and I like the vanilla better.
christyk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #5  
1 day at a time =^.^=

S/C/G: 275/217/165

Height: 5'5"

If you do a protein powder shake, think about adding a cup or two of spinach, and some ground flaxseed. You don't taste it, and it adds a lot of nutrition!
justducky2 is offline   Reply With Quote