Lap Band -- Do you recommend it?

• To those of you who have had lap band surgery, has it been worth it for you? I have almost made my mind up that I am going to get it done, but would love as much feed back as possible. What's been the worst part of it for you? Do you love it, hate it, tolerate it, etc?
  • Even though I am not at goal (my fault) I love my band. If you follow the rules, eat slow, eat small, eat healthy and chew chew chew, you'll do great.

I've had mine for 7 years, no issues except GERD. I am very happy and don't regret it at all. Good luck with your decision

Leenie
  • Hi jpye -

I had my lapband put in 12/2006. For 2 years it was GREAT! I lost 97 lbs and went from a size 22 to a size 14. And then the band eroded. Evidently the band didn't fit all that well when it was installed. He immediately put 5cc of fluid in it, which is not at all standard. I was always starving, because the band couldn't be tight enough. So I used a lot of will power and determination to lose. I had 11.5cc fluid in my band when it stopped working.

I thought that because I'd lost weight, I could keep it off. At first I did, and then the weight slowly crept back on. I began having problems with the band, there were foods I couldn't eat (like chicken) the band began blocking my ability to swallow. I was in constant discomfort - I had pain in my shoulder and neck on the left side.

Long story short, I had the band removed and had the sleeve done 2 weeks ago. I've lost 25 lbs since then, and am THRILLED to have that lapband out of me. I'm also thrilled that I got my sleeve done. So far so good!