Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #1  

Default What do you eat after weight loss surgery?

Hello friends!
I'm considering weight loss surgery. What does one eat after a surgery? Could I just follow the same diet (without the surgery) and get the same results?
Any recommendations, hints or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ashleysmiths; 11-02-2012 at 01:41 AM.
ashleysmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #2  

Hello.i'm rosey and i had the gastric bypass surg 1 1/2 yrs ago. every dr's rules after surg are different. for me i ate sf jello,lofat yogurt,protein shakes, sf popsicles,blended soup's,babyfood,mashed potatoes etc for about 6 weeks and very small amounts of those foods,and taking the vitamins they perscribe,and water. after the 6 weeks i added chix,turkey, fish,beans,cheese(lofat cottage) applesauce,soft foods, always eating the protein 1st. about 3 meals aday, and sipping on protein shakes. i wasnt to drink any liquids during meals,no soda and i found out that i couldnt tolerate any sugar except in some fruits. it just wasnt worth the cramps and trips to the bathrm.now i can eat about cup of food at a time,i still eat protein 1st,but can eat just about anything now but still avoid sugar and keep carbs to aminimum. i dont know if its possible to do this without the surg, im so glad i did this, and have lost 100+ lbs and have kept it off. hope this helps you some what and good luck on your journey. rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

ashley - a lot depends on the type of surgery, but there are some basics: protein first, then veggies, then fruit and other carbs. unless you've had a duodenal switch, then you get to eat more fat. However, it's not really about the food. it's about the fact that are stomachs are physically smaller and can't hold much. and some of the surgeries create a malabsorption process so we don't absorb as much fat, calories, and nutrients from the food.

I've never heard of anyone just following the post-surgery diet and losing weight. Also, one of the main reasons most of us had surgery was to help us lose the weight AND KEEP IT OFF.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 348/185/170

Height: 5.10/177cm

I am sure no one is capable of following such restrict diet without surgery...you eat practically nothing...and with a normal stomach you can live like that for a week or two...and then what?

After the surgery I cant tolerate fruits or it's sugar...so I cant eat fruit yogurts or drink juices etc. I like veggies the most..but do eat everything or at least try to.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote