3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Surgery

Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Smoking and WLS?

Old 10-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #1

Default Smoking and WLS?

Hello everyone. Just initiating my inagural post on here! Does anyone know if smoking is a precursor to not qualifying for surgical procedure like Lap Band or Sleeve???
Pellycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #2

@ Pellycan 1 - There is a weight loss surgery forum if you'd like to post your question there. No doubt they have more knowledge on the topic and would be able to answer your question
Buddha Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Old Cackler

Just caught this -

Pellycan - you've asked a good Q. Although smoking doesn't disqualify a person from having surgery, most surgeons will require you to either cut WAY down before surgery [to make you a better surgical risk], or to STOP entirely before the surgery. And, of course, they'll warn you not to start smoking again afterwards, but smoking in and of itself won't usually get you a flat-out denial.

start: 506 [Sept 2001]
weight at gastric bypass [Jan 29, 2002]: 409
current weight: 225
weight for plastic surgery: 200
final goal: 180

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not medical advice. See your physician before taking advice found on the internet.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

It was not an issue for me as I have never smoked...but my surgeon required you quit smoking 2 mos prior.

Lap RNY 2/12/07- weightloss: 163 lbs; 306 SW; 143 CW
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Releasing the inner hiker

I wasn't a smoker either, but my surgical center required smokers to quit either 6 or 8 weeks prior to surgery (as well as quit coffee) and it was an automatic dis-qualifier if you did not quit. I'm not sure how they followed up on it, but I do recall how strict they were about it.

Total Weight Loss (HW 5/2010)

Post WLS (8/1/2011)
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #6

My surgeon would have preferred me to stop smoking but he said if I had cut down then that was good. Less than what I normally smoked was better than staying at what I was. I smoked Marlboro light 100's & switched to Marlboro 72's(like a 2 puff cig lol) ultra lights & the amount if them i smoked so I think I did really well to have not quit completely. But there are also insurance company's that require the blood test as well. I was a self pay so that wasn't a concern for me.

My Surgaversary is October 3, 2012....The day my life changed for the better
www.christykg.blogspot.com
christyk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

Ontario requires 6 months cigarette free, and strongly encourage no smoking post RNY, VSG or DS due to risk of Ulcers... That and the hand to mouth action of smoking. They'd rather you chew the gum, etc. but if you do that... it will show on blood work so clear it first.

Ok! Straight up... First time through... I lost and then got sick and gained more than I had lost. Second time through I lost, got where I needed to... Enjoyed it. Took prednizone (oh lordy how I hate it) and was creeping back toward my worst.
So let's do this (C is stopping point apparently):
1st: S/C/G: 334/280/200 - 2007-2008
2nd: S/C/G: 369/291.2/200 - 2009-2010
NOW:

2012-For life!
Cuter w Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.