Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #1  
Lifestyle Changer

S/C/G: see sig

Height: 5' 6"

Lightbulb My Dr suggests bariatric surgery for me

I weigh 304lbs and am 5ft 6in. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia and she thinks my weight is making my joints worse. There is a 4-5 year wait for this. I feel relief yet anxious!

Last edited by Rhonda Marie; 12-10-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Rhonda Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

4-5 year wait ? What does the doctor suggest you do during the long wait ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #3  
Lifestyle Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
4-5 year wait ? What does the doctor suggest you do during the long wait ?
other than be patient, try to diet and exercise if my condition permits
Old 12-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #4  
Lifestyle Changer

What are typical wait times?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Maybe if you go out of province it will be less of a wait.Not sure but worth checking into.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

I was wondering about going to a different province, too. 4-5 years is a very long time to wait for surgery.\, especially since co-morbid conditions generally get worse, not better, with time
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #7  
Releasing the inner hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda Marie View Post
What are typical wait times?
Hopefully a Canadian will pop in, but in the states, the typical wait time seems to be between 6 months to a year.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

My ex had gastric bypass, his wait time from first consult to surgery was about 2 years, he had to go to a different city (but within our province) to get it done. For him the biggest obstacle was getting a gp to give the referral.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

omg im from st. johns missus! im sorry I get excited when i see someone who lives here lol. i have to wait about 7 months just for gallbladder removal its ridiculous. I started off at 335lbs and only an inch taller than you. It took me two, almost three, years though cause of regains to lose the weight ive managed too but in 4-5 years you may lose some of that weight and if you have issues losing or keeping it from coming back like I did there are support groups here in st johns (and im willing to help any way I can too). Its not a perfect solution but itll help your health in the meantime til a better solution can take place.

Just saying if you have to wait that long for it you could improve your health and wellbeing in the mean time. 5 years is a longgg time. I'm suffering every day just waiting to get gallbladder surgury I cannot imagine waiting in pain for 5 years. Also you could finance the surgury through private care outside of the province. Its expensive for sure but a lot of people getting WLS in newfoundland opt for this due to the weight times, but I know financing a costly surgury is not an option for all.

Didn't mean to sound insensitive earlier. I just wanted to show I know whats its like to battle the weight at relatively the same weight and give her some hope that it won't be all doom and gloom for the next 4-5 years if she ends up having to wait that long, I can't imagine being in pain that long so I'd go with what her doctor said and try a healthy lifestyle in the meantime until surgury to see if it helps any.

MODERATOR NOTE: The main reason people have surgery is not only to lose the weight but to keep it off. Those of us who have had surgery have gained and lost huge amounts of weight many times. Comments such as 'if i can do it, so can you' are not helpful or supportive in this particular forum [but can be helpful in other areas of 3FC]. The reason this post isn't deleted is because the writer lives near the OP, and understands the issues about accessing surgery in that province. to all - jiffypop

Last edited by CherryQuinn; 12-11-2012 at 01:24 PM.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 373/213/165

Height: 5'7"

What type of bariatric surgery is he recommending?
Theresar2899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #11  
Lifestyle Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresar2899 View Post
What type of bariatric surgery is he recommending?
good question, I don't know how to answer your question.

it's not slimband

Last edited by Rhonda Marie; 12-12-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #12  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

My friend just had the surgery in Edmonton. She's lived in Saskatchewan all her life, but I don't think she had the option per say, I think Sask health sent her there because they had the opening. The waits here are typically 2 years. I've actually waited more than two years just for an appointment with the bariatric division to decide if I'm a candidate or not.

I think you get sent where ever they can get you in (within reason), but you still have to wait a very long time.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #13  
Lifestyle Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspixie View Post
Im confused. Did your doctor talk about surgery as an aside, like "hey you might wanna think about bypass surgery" or did your doctor say "you need more evaluation but you'd be a good candidate for surgery lets get the ball rolling"?
I think you need to go back to your doctor and talk about the details if you want the surgery cause it sounds more like your doctor mentioned it in passing. Its gonna be up to you to get the ball rolling I think cause it isnt just about wait times. Its about getting started with the process and thats gonna be up to you I think. Hope it works out!
she told me I'd be an excellent candidate but I need a sleep study, etc, she was going to recommend me
Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #14  
Lifestyle Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspixie View Post
Oh I know, being Canadian and all. My question was that as far as I know a patient wont go to the doctor and the doctor says "youre getting bariatric surgery but theres a 5 year wait. We will call you when the surgery date is set. Have a nice day". Theres some sort of program or some sort of workup that has to be done to get you on a list. The way the post is written plus the answers it just seems so vague that Im wondering if the ball is actually rolling or if it was mentioned in passing.
edited to add: Im just bringing this up to make sure that the original poster is getting the ball rolling not just assuming the ball is rolling after her appointment cause it would be awful to wait and wait and wait and assume when the reality is that shes gotta move things forward now
I asked if bariatric surgery was available in the province where I live, told her my weight and reminded her about my physical limitations, she told me I'd be an excellent candidate but said there was a very long waiting time.