Countdown to Surgery

• I'm 12 days away from surgery and starting to get tense. I've been on Spring Break this week and last so I've had more time to think. I'm getting scared.
  • tick tock tick tock!!!

sorry. didn't mean to make you nervous... talk to us. you need to be comfortable with this. and be as optimistic as you can...
  • I think being nervous is normal.

I almost backed out. I had thoughts of just going home while I was in the pre-op area.

Even after all I have been through I'm glad I didn't.

I agree with Jiff.......talk to us. What exactly is making you tense? The idea of surgery?
  • I've had a hysterectomy 10 years ago so the surgery doesn't frighten me. I terrified of the post operative pain. I hate to have to go through that again
  • was your hysterectomy done open or lap? Is your wls going to be open or lap?

all I can say is, there is discomfort.......your insides are being rearranged (well you know what I mean.) There is no reason you should be in "pain" use the pain management your doc will give you. Yes, there will be discomfort, but it will not last forever.

After my initial surgery(s) I was home for about 10 days before going back in the hospital. I remember being uncomfortable, my hubby helped me up from the chair, and I didn't sleep in my bed for a couple of nights, but it was not unbearable.

This is easy for me to say, cause it's behind me........but a little discomfort short-term for being "given my life back" is a pretty good trade off in my book.

Keep posting your concerns, we'll get you through this.
  • My hysterectomy was open and my RNY will be open. I know I'm being silly, but I'm a real baby when it comes to pain.
  • John was in the hospital from Tuesday (surgery date) to Friday (Noon release).

He took his pain medication for one day after getting home and that was it. He has actually said the open incision itching was the worse part of the whole thing!

One thing, in the hospital, WALK! Even if it is uncomfortable, get up and walk. John has said it helped with the gas pains just to get up and move around.