Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 223.8/193/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Sleeved almost 7 months ago!

Hi,

I haven't been on here since before my surgery last summer. I love my sleeve!

I had my 6 month appointment recently, and the NUT suggested I stop protein drinks. I am also going to Weight Watchers (loosely following their program, but protein first), and hopefully will hit my goal there soon.

I just wanted to check in & say "HI" and also to see how many people still drink protein drinks - or did when they were still 6-7 months out.

Thanks!
basketsbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Just keep an eye on your protein, albumin, and prealbumin levels on your labs with stopping the shakes. I know multiple people, including VSGers, who saw their protein markers dropping even though they were getting plenty of protein through food. I'm one of them - I have a VSG plus just a little malabsorption, but I was eating around 120-150 grams of protein from food every day and still saw my protein slowly sinking on my lab results. The only way for me to keep it up is by including protein shakes - it must just be because the protein in the shakes is so much easier to absorb.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #3  
Releasing the inner hiker

I'm almost at 6 months out (Feb 1) and I can't imagine eating enough to meet my protein goals without shakes. I make one with three cups of water and sip on it all day.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 223.8/193/150

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for your input! Almost everyone I've talked with that has had surgery still drinks 1-2 shakes per day. I usually get 40-60 gms protein daily. Today I had one, but did not drink my Isopure which is 40 gms of protein. I felt kinda hungry all day. Our NUT suggests getting 60-80 gms per day, and I had been 90-110 per day. I've been losing OK, not as quick as before, but I am around where I had wanted to end up.

I think I am going to stick to drinking my shakes. Thanks!
basketsbears is offline   Reply With Quote