Signed up for a 10k

• oh boy. Another woman on the obesity help website had a post about signing up for a local 10k. I thought that sounded like a good idea because I used to love jogging way back when and I thought that this would be a good motivator to really get my butt moving. So I'm happy that I've done this but a little worried that I am in over my head. Yikes!! oh well, I'm in now. We are going to be on-line training buddies as we don't live close enough to get together. I bought a treadmill last week and have been on it practically every day. I have to work up to jogging at least 6 miles in the next few weeks and then I have a 10 week training program for completing a 10k. Oh did I mention this is on April 29th???
  • kinda surprised you, didn't it??? But good for you! At one point, i entered a 5K walk/run, with a dog and a 10 year old. needless to say, we finished dead last, BUT WE FINISHED! And that was the greatest accomplishment.

you'll be fine. just be sure to watch your knees.
  • Good for you! I second Jiffy's advice about the knees. I got a little carried away with Zumba and am taking a few days off to recover. I didn't pull or harm anything, but I could feel that they were being overtaxed and the last thing I wanted was an injury.

It is hard to reign back the energy when motivated to exercise. I always push myself too hard.
  • Thanks for the support! I am walk/jogging twice a day gradually increasing my jogging time. It'll be a lot of hard work but looking forward to it in a weird way. Already envisioning where to hang my race number afterwards!
  • morning. sorry for butting in. i haven't had surgery. i just lurk around and read posts. you guys have such a great support system. anywhos..
    jen...there is a great program called C25K. it's a 9 weeks course of walking to running. they also have one for 10Ks. running world put it out. when i did my first 5K i had to learn to run differently. i always did treadmill, and outside is so different. for me it was harder. good luck to you and have a great time doing it.
  • Thanks so much for that. I did see that program when I was looking on-line for help. I am training on a treadmill for now but when the weather is a little nicer at the end of March or April I will start running outside.
  • Congrats and remember there is no shame in possibly having to walk at some point. As Jiffy said - it is completing it that matters. I did my first 5K at about your weight and "wogged" (jog/walk). It was the Revlon one in LA and they finished with us running into the coliseum and onto the field. I still remember the feeling.