Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 10:27 AM   #1  
adf

Default How long before you can go back to work?

Hi there,

I'm 30 yrs old and starting to seriously consider getting WLS (Lap RNY).

I'm wondering how many sick days I should bank before I get operated on. Assuming no complications, how long before you can get back to work after having the Lap RNY? Anyone here know?
Old 02-10-2003, 10:48 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

things vary. doctors vary. some people are back within a week. others within 2-3 weeks. some of us went out on disability for 6 weeks. but we were REAL sick going into the surgery...

most common: 2-4 weeks.

a lot depends on the kind of work a person does. someone with a very active job like nursing or loading trucks or stocking shelves should probably figure on a longer recovery than someone who sits at a desk and answers the phone.

good luck!!! and keep us posted!

Last edited by jiffypop; 02-10-2003 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:51 AM   #3  
she who must be obeyed

Hi Adrienne. Fairfax......my old stomping ground!!!!!!!!! I was born and raised in Manassas, hubby in Falls Church.

Welcome to 3fc's!

As for your question, I don't work outside the home, but I would think you should plan for at least 4 weeks. I just think you need time to get yourself back on track before going back to work.

I have heard of those who sit all day going back very quick, less than 2 weeks.

Have you found a doctor? Usually they have a time frame they like you to follow.

Again welcome
Debbie
Old 02-10-2003, 07:06 PM   #4  

The doctor told John 2 - 3 weeks and he is having an open! He does computer support over the phone so as long as he sits and does NOT pick anything up, they said he can work?!

His doctor justifies this by the fact that he does NOT want him laying around home. He said if you are up and moving and AWAY from food, all the better. (My question is has the man ever worked in an office, away from food my foot!)

John is telling his work 3 weeks.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:49 PM   #5  

I went back at 2 weeks. BAD IDEA. I was very sick that week and had to leave early every day. The third week I took one day out and left early 2 days. The fourth week I only left early one day and this week (the fifth) I haven't left early though I've wanted to. If I had to recommend anything it would be 4-5 weeks although I may have done better in the 3rd and 4th week if I hadn't gone back the second week.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:36 PM   #6  

I asked my doctor how long I would be off work and he asked me what kind of work I did. I told him I taught high school and he said at least 6 weeks, 8 if I could manage. He said if there was any danger of confrontation(sp?) he wouldn't let his patients go back to work. If I ever get approval it's a good thing I have a lot of sick days built up
Closed Thread