Milk only diet?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi everyone -

My husband just started his pre-op diet of milk only for his surgery date of 2-21.(He will be doing the lap band) Needless to say, he is starving! Do any of you know if he can supplement with some protein powder drinks or anything? The paperwork the dr gave him doesn't say, and of course, he thought of calling the dr after the office was closed. (and now it's the weekend)
    I really appreciate any help or insight as to what some of you have done!
  • Your husband has to be on a milk only diet for 4 weeks? My goodness, that sounds horrific. Sorry I can't be of any help; I've never heard of this sort of pre-op diet. I wish him (and you) much luck.
  • Thanks Jen for wishing us luck, seems like I might not be getting any help... He might just have to tough it out until Monday when the dr is in...
  • milk only for a pre-op diet? never heard of it. most people around here report that their docs have told them to do any of several things: (1) a medifast/optifast type of program with 2 'drinks' and one meal; (2) a very-low-carb diet; (3) two or three protein shakes and one meal; (4) no change in eating; (5) and whatever you have to do to NOT gain weight

and people have had to follow these instructions for up to a month - but for some, it's only like a week before.

gotta tell you, bahama, this sounds weird to me. let us know what the doc says. is there any possibility that he gave your husband a list of instructions? if he did, let us know - maybe we can help with some ideas.
  • there has to be a mix up, milk only for 4 weeks. look up pre op lap band diets and talk to you doctor asap.
    i wouldnt wait until monday either someone in the doctors office is on call. call them
  • Thanks so much for the advice, we will try calling the dr on call tomorrow...Good to know that it's not just me that thinks this is a very crazy diet!
  • so?????? what did the doc say? inquiring minds want to know - ok. i'll admit it, i'm nosy. but seriously. i hope you got GOOD explanation of what has to be happening before surgery, and that you and hubby can live with it!
  • Well, hubby called today, and they do mean ONLY fat free milk until Feb 21! He can have decaf tea and coffee, propel water, and that is it! Oh, and a multi vitamin twice a day. They want him to make sure and lose 25-40 lbs before surgery. Gosh, it still seems really weird to me, but I guess if he can do it, it's only for a month.
  • No solid food at all ?
  • bahama - who ARE these people? i want to look them up!
  • I'm sorry, but that's both overly restrictive and VERY UNHEALTHY. Dietary fat is essential for good health, and he's supposed to have nothing but skim milk?! I'd be concerned that by the end of a month of that kind of diet, he would be in no condition to withstand and successfully heal from a major abdominal surgery. Is that seriously the diet this surgeon prescribes for all pre-op patients?? Please do share this surgeon's name so I can warn people to steer clear...
  • I second Jill's concern. Please research your surgeon!
  • Is his liver enlarged? I've heard of this type of diet for people who have enlarged livers. For some reason the milk diet shrinks the organ so the surgeon can get to the stomach to do the procedure. Just throwing that out there... it sounds awful, though!
  • Val - while you're correct that many surgeons require some weight loss before surgery to shrink the liver, the issue here is the fact that this surgeon is requiring a MILK ONLY diet for a month.
  • Bahama, I'm very curious to see how your husband is doing and if he's managed to stay with this milk only diet.