Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Surgery on 21st!

Hello all. I've been on 3FC for a really long time and have been struggling forever it feels like with my weight. I finally came to the conclusion that as hard as I was trying I was just never going to succeed without surgery. So I started the process and am now booked in for surgery on October 21. Where I am we have to do optifast for 2 or 3 weeks pre-op, I'm on day 4. It is okay, I don't find it horrible or anything and I'm drinking lots of water. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. It is going to be a pretty big change in my life. They usually do the RNY but I'm hoping that they will do a VSG instead. I don't have a choice as the government pays and right now they are covering RNY as a rule, VSG only if the surgeon decides it is necessary. I might get it okayed, I am anemic and the resident said at my last appointment that I might be able to get a VSG. We'll see. It really won't matter to me one way or the other. I'd prefer VSG but I'm going to be happy no matter what. Anyway just wanted to share.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Congratulations! Immediately post-op, there won't be a whole lot of differences between the VSG and RNY post-op lifestyle anyway, as everything is pretty slow going after any procedure to allow the insides to heal. Will you find out prior to being knocked out which procedure you'll end up with??
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #3  
Jen

No I probably won't know until I wake up what procedure was done. It won't matter, I will be happy no matter what, just be extra happy if it is a VSG!

Day 4 of optifast and I was hungry today!! Had a cup of broth this afternoon and another around dinner time. Feeling okay otherwise and have dropped 7 lbs in 4 days. Crazy. I know people who have had a lot of weight loss the first week and then practically nothing the 2nd week but again as long as I stick to my program it'll do what it is supposed to do (shrink the liver). I do miss eating though more than I thought I would. I still have to make meals for the family and it is not easy but I'm keeping my eye on the prize at the end of this road!!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

Hi Jen - wow - I had no idea you were considering surgery! glad to see you. and you really won't know what they did until you wake up???? hard to understand - from the informed consent perspective. they're both good surgeries, with some differences of course.

good luck with the optifast. i sure feel for you, having to cook for the family during this time. you're a SAINT!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 256/256/130

Height: 5' 3-1/2"

Congrats on getting your date! Very exciting!!
disneyfan551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #6  
Jen

I was considering surgery a few years ago when I could have gone to the US for it and our government would pay for it but my husband was really nervous about it so I let it go. Fast forward a few years and I'm still just not able to take the lbs off so my husband has realized that yes I need this and is now supportive of my decision. It is a far longer process but I'm in the final stage now. I talked to one of the surgeon's at my last appt and he said that they could potentially do a VSG depending on what it looks like when they get in there. He said because I am short sometimes they don't have enough room to work for the RNY and end up doing a VSG so I signed a consent for both plus a possible abdominal hernia repair. I have a small hernia but he won't know if they can fix it quickly and do the other surgery. They don't like to do both just in case the hernia repair interferes with the other healing. If it is a very simple fix they will do it but otherwise they will leave until another time.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/140 is my goal

Height: 5'4

Hi Jen,
Only 2 days to go!!! You are on the countdown . How are you feeling? And how did the rest of your Optifast go? My thoughts and prayers are with you at the start of your journey
Alexs Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #8  
Jen

The optifast went really well. I lost about 20 lbs altogether from optifast. I loved it, I know a lot of people hate the taste but it was okay. Now I am on clear fluids today and tomorrow and then it will be surgery day!

I wrote a letter to my surgeon about why I thought I should have a VSG and imagine my surprise when his receptionist called and asked me to come in to see him! Long story short I am getting a VSG instead of a RNY but no hernia repair. He says that a lot of the time they reoccur and there is no sense in fixing it now when likely it'll just come back while I am losing weight, better to wait a year or so. He'll look at it and see if there is anything he can do but no promises which works for me. He was so up front about everything, I felt so relieved after I saw him. I'm so happy I'm having the VSG mostly so I can still take NSAIDs because I get migraines and thank Anyway he said I was a good candidate for VSG and so there you go. Hard to believe this time on Friday it will be all over. I've been so distracted these past few months leading up to this, I'll be glad to have it over and get on with things!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/256/130

Height: 5' 3-1/2"

Way to go on losing the 20 lbs! It's a great start for your journey!! Good luck with your surgery!!
disneyfan551 is offline   Reply With Quote