Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #61  

Well, I'm scheduled for my surgery in December. I'm more than a little freaked out right now. Those of you with the VBloc devices, how is it going? It's really hard to find anything about this on the web, and anything I find is NOT positive. Not really sure if I want to do this or not.
Pittypat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #62  

Lorislosinit I'm also in the Portland study (or will be I think) and would love to talk with you. Let me know if you are interested in emailing.
pdxloser71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #63  

Lori, it says that you have no contact information listed. Can you check out my profile and see if you can view my email information and email me? Thanks!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #64  

Ugh! I don't think you can see my contact information, Lori. I have emailed them to see how to make it visible.

In the meantime, I would like to hear an update from you on how you are doing. What can I expect the week after surgery? Tell me if you can feel/see the device and does it hurt? How is your hunger and do you have any side effects?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am getting nervous. My surgery is on December 15th!
Old 11-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #65  

Hi guys,

sorry, haven't posted much lately. I took my blog down since all of you were being told that it was a big no-no. I don't want to jeopardize my study.

pdxloser71, welcome. No need to freak out I've had mine for about 6 weeks now and things are going just fine. No issues whatsoever. I can feel my device, actually can see it, it sticks out on me a bit on the side which seems to be more common for men than women since we store our fat differently. I was told it's not so visible for women. the first month or so, I could feel it kind of moving around in there, not so firmly in place yet, so when I drove and hit bumps, it kind of jiggled around and felt weird. I actually went and purchased an abdominal binder and wore it for a few weeks and it felt much better.
Now, it's much better, I walk, jog, etc with no issues.

I had to go to traffic court recently and had to go through the metal detector. I told them before I went through that I would probably set it off and gave them my card. Sure enough, I set it off. They just walked me through and took me aside and checked me manually. No biggie, but it was interesting.

Again, don't freak out, it's pretty straight forward and not that big of a deal. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!

Last edited by chubbyhubby; 11-30-2011 at 01:18 PM.
chubbyhubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:59 PM   #66  

Great information, chubbyhubby, thanks! Are you having any issues with nausea or GERD? Are you able to sleep on your left side and stomach? Also, how is your weight loss going?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #67  

no issues at all with nausea or GERD at all. Sleeping on my side was impossible the first couple of weeks, but not an issue anymore. Weight loss is slow but steady (aside from Thanksgiving :0 ). Wish it was more dramatic, but I'm going in the right direction.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #68  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Blossom View Post
By the way, do you think the metal detector at court turned your device off? I seem to remember the study docs mentioning that the device could get turned off that way and you would need the clinic to reset it.

Veronica
Hmmm. Interesting. I don't remember hearing this. It's very possible. I should look into this. Thanks for the info
Old 12-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #69  

Well-- our director confirmed Veronica's posts. No posting, no blogging, no discussing, no social networking .... Until after 12 months.

Good luck all!! Take care and be well!
Lorislosinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #70  

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenoftheworld View Post
Veronica, I had my surgery at the U of MN too. Hope all goes well for you. A few things I didn't know before surgery -- clear liquid diet 3 days after the procedure and then soft foods like cream of wheat and yogurt until the post op visit.

I feel fairly confident that I have an "activated" device as I feel uncomfortably full most all of the time. I hope that goes away because it makes me feel lethargic.

Hopefully we will bump into each other someday at one of the later group meetings. Best of luck and keep us posted.
I am going to the U of M for surgery Dec 14th, any advice
mngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #71  

I cannot discuss the study due to study protocol, but I can tell you about my experience at Fairview at the U of M. It basically went quite well and both my roomie and I felt pretty good by the day after surgery. I did have severe shoulder and neck pain which I was told could happen. It has something to do with anesthesia gases.

Veronica

Surgery date: Nov. 30, 2011
Starting Weight 239.7
Today's Weight 237.2

Last edited by Veronica Blossom; 12-04-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Veronica Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #72  

Today's weight 230.0
Old 12-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #73  

Tomorrow morning is the big day
mngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #74  

I know you were getting the surgery today. I was in the basement at the clinic for my checkup and thinking of you upstairs in the hospital. I would have stopped upstairs if I knew your name, but really who wants a stranger seeing them in the hospital anyways. I hope you are doing well, and just know you may feel terrible now, but you will be much better in a few days. My surgery was on a Wednesday; released on Thursday; went to work all day on Friday. Not recommended - and I took no pain meds while at work - but I survived it fine.

Best Wishes,

Veronica
Old 12-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #75  

Had my surgery yesterday. everything went smoothly. I'm sore today, but doing fine if I keep up with the pain meds. I hope you others that had your procedure yesterday are doing well! Hang in there!