Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default LayLay's surgery is today!

hoping everything goes well and you're home safe and sound in a couple of days!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

Please check in once you are able. Hopefully your recovery will be quick and easy!

(Jiffy, you are such a lovely person.)
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

Old 09-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hope everything went well... rest up now
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #5  
Still Chubby

S/C/G: 79.8/72.5/66kg

Height: 172cm

*well wishes and healthful thoughts sent LayLay's way*
tinneranne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/249/180

Height: 5'9"

Thank you all so much! Recovery has been tougher than I thought it would be, but I'm doing fairly well. Right now I'm just kind of overwhelmed on what to eat/what not to eat. I got some Activia Light yogurt since it was on the list from my dietician and after reading it, it has fructose in it so I'm not sure if I should eat it? So far I've been drinking water, crystal light, diluted apple juice and I'm doing pretty good. The one thing that kind of surprised me was, I had always heard I wouldn't be hungry and wouldn't want to eat....that's so not the case for me. When my family has burger king for dinner, I definitely get a hunger for it...but I'm staying strong.
LayLay2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #7  
Releasing the inner hiker

Oh, I understand the hunger feeling as well. At my 6 week appointment, I mentioned to my nutritionist that I felt hungry in the afternoons, and she refused to believe me, saying it was physically impossible for me to be hungry, and that it must be head hunger. So now I'm questioning that feeling mid-afternoons; it feels like real hunger, albeit on a scale much more tolerable than preop.

I think light yogurts are ok. I know I ate a lot of Fage 0% Greek yogurt, with a little sugar free Torani syrup mixed in, as well as sugar free puddings, mixed with unflavored protein powder. Drinking is really important this early out so that you don't get dehydrated. If you can tolerate protein shakes, you can conquer two goals at once: liquid and protein requirements.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #8  

Hmm, that's interesting about head hunger. It is tolerable, but annoying too. I'm trying to find a protein powder I like because I'd really like to kill 2 birds with one stone. Good news is, I've lost 10 lbs in 2 days! I'm pretty happy about that.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

glad you're back, LayLay!!! here's my two cents. When it comes to yogurt - read EVERY SINGLE LABEL very carefully. you want to eat the ones that have the most protein and the fewest carbs. and THAT generally means a plain yogurt that you flavor yourself. as you've noticed, many of the 'lite' yogurts out there have quite a few carbs, and for reasons i don't understand, very little protein.

which brings me to the next point. which comes from this 'read all the labels' thing - you might be truly hungry because you're not consuming enough protein, and actually eating more carbs than you should be.

right now, it's liquids and maybe some easy proteins. NOT carbs. in no event should you put anything in your mouth that has 15 grams or or more of carbs, especially if it doesn't have at least 15 grams of protein as well.

whew. ok. rant over!!! drink up, darlin!
Old 09-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #10  

Jiffy- thank you for that info!! I needed to hear that!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

glad to help - dieticians truly try to help by making lists for us, but they've never been in this position, and they're really stuck on calories and fat grams. and gastric bypass life is more about protein and carbs - especially at first. Fat's an issue as well, but with the small amounts people eat right after surgery, it's not as big a deal [unless, of course, you decide to drink 1/2 c of heavy cream, which i DO NOT recommend!].
Old 09-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #12  

Hi ladies! I'm doing fairly well and feel pretty good. I'm just having a whole lot of trouble getting in 64oz of fluid. I'm trying with all my might and just can't seem to get there yet. I also feel super tired and weak during the day. I get out of breath very easily too. I assume all of this is because I'm barely getting any nutrition in right now. I hope once I get on regular food that it helps me some.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #13  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Try drinking "protein milk"--protein blended into skim or soy milk or almond breeze--no ice or anything. Just keep in thin and that will help get the fluids in too. Maybe warm it up. Warm liquid feel good on the pouch.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #14  

What is a good tasting protein? Id like to find a good chocolate one. Bought Unjurys vanilla and its so gross!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #15  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

I actually liked Unjury though the smell was a little off-putting at first . . . .i'm hearing really good things about Chike and I'm going to try it next when I run out of my current protein. Apparently Chike mixes really easily and doesn't smell like baby formula. Here's a tip-get a blender bottle for travel and/or a little hand-held immersion blender for home. So much easier than cleaning out a blender every time. The immersion blender has been the MVP of my WLS journey!
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote