Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #1  
Creepin' in the Corner

S/C/G: 300/272/160

Height: 5'5"

Default Limits after WLS?

Ok so I'm on the road to getting bypass, and have researched for over a year. I just have some little questions nagging...

How do people find exercise after? I mean are there any physical activities you should avoid? Say if I was to take up a kickboxing class (potential punching in the stomach...not hard, but maybe?), or say rock climbing? Would the stress on my core damage me in anyway.
Obviously not right after the operation.

Are there any limits to physical activity after bypass? I just have a fear of playing sports, and damaging/tearing something.

Off topic question - would it be advisable to get a medic alert bracelet?
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

once you're healed, you can do what you want. obviously nobody EVER wants to be punched hard, but as far as i know, you'll be good to go. just use some common sense - don't push yourself to the point of serious pain or injury

as for medic alert bracelets, some folks get them to notify others to NOT scope blindly. i don't have one.

Last edited by jiffypop; 05-05-2011 at 11:43 PM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:32 AM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I have done kickboxing, rock climbing, Aikido (a martial art that requires a lot of rolling), hiking, biking, running, sports of all kinds (I work with kids), belly dance and country dance until I am a sweaty mess!!! AND I love it all!

My only problem is potassium deficiencies if I sweat too much, so I keep supplements around and drink 1/2 gator aid, 1/2 water (too much straight G and I will still dump) or G2 and I'm good to go!

I have more energy than I ever have!! hehehe

Go for it honey!

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #4  

My cousin has done boxing exercises after 1 year of bypass. He made sure first that he is totally healed. So I suggest you talk to your doctor after bypass and ask when can you do kickboxing or the like.

@ missangelaks: bananas are a good source of potassium. is it true that we need at least 1 banana a day?

Last edited by Soon2beSEXY; 04-16-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Soon2beSEXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #5  
Creepin' in the Corner

S/C/G: 300/272/160

Height: 5'5"

Great! It's funny, my husband had his gall bladder taken out by the same head of laproscopy that oversees bypass. I've seen his 'work' and I kinda know how rough the first few days are. But the pain, etc didn't worry me as much as wondering if I would be hindered with my new "life". hehe.
Good to know! Thanks all! I'll keep this place posted on my journey!
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #6  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Please do let us know! It was great to have this support when I was going to to do this and afterward!

Good luck, honey!!

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2beSEXY View Post
@ missangelaks: bananas are a good source of potassium. is it true that we need at least 1 banana a day?
If you have a potassium issue, I would look into supplementation. Bananas are very high in sugar.

Last edited by jillybean720; 05-08-2011 at 09:07 PM.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214.6/198.8/150

Height: 5' 4.5"

the only limits I had after my WLS in 1999 were food related. As long as I healed I was able to do anything I did before and more... once the excess weight is off you will find yourself wanting to be more active.
dakiniverona is offline   Reply With Quote