Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #1  

Default new here uk with gastric band

I'm struggling to stay positive. I had my surgery dec 16, 2010 and have had 4 fills since then. my restriction lasts for about a week then its normal again. i gained the weight lost during my post op diet back. i'm at 4.5ml in a 10ml band.

had 5ml briefly but took .5 out because i was having trouble keeping liquids down. immediatel after the fill i was able to drink but later that night i was unable to keep water and soup down. very disappointing since now 4.5 doesnt seem to be enough. nurse has told me that maybe going in increments of 1 is too much for m bod and the swelling is what made 5ml too much and that it's rare not to be able to drink with 5ml.

so i requested a fill under xray. since my surgery ive onl lost 10lbs. thats not much at all. I exercise 4-6 days a week. have cut out takeaways and have been eating healthier. trying to control my portions on my own but it's tough. im often very hungry.

i'm hoping this xray appointment will show that i can take a larger fill and get real restriction. and affirm that it;s just temp swelling that caused problems before. it will take ages if i have to get .5ml fills at a time. since it seems appt are hard to get.
untold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #2  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

i'm sorry you're having such a tough time. I don't really have any advice since I've had RNY. But don't give up! Sounds like a pain to get right-but keep bugging your surgeon until it's right.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi and Welcome

Sorry you are having a rough bout with the fills. How soon do you eat after the fill? that makes a big difference, some people have to be on liquids for a few days until the swelling goes down. When ever I get a fill, it could be .25 - .5 my doctor suggests I do liquids for at least 2 days, then mushy a day and then I can go to solids. Also I am not allowed to leave his office for at least 20 minutes after the fill to make sure I can drink water. So I would suggest going incredibly slow no matter how much fill you get.

I know a few people who have the bigger band (10 - 11 cc) and most of them do not feel restriction until they are over the 1/2 way mark.

Good luck but mostly don't get discouraged

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote