Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 06:20 PM   #1  

Default Let's just suppose........

I was interested in getting banded. I imagine I start with my primary care doctor and try to get him to agree. Is that correct? My health care stinks, or so I think....Etna/US health care. Then where do I go and what do I do?

just suppose, ok?

thanks,
peach
Old 11-11-2002, 08:38 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

maybe you could try contacting mary in cedar knolls nj for a consult. and you could even ask your sister for the phone number.

that is, if you were not just supposing.

and you could also check with your health insurance to check your coverage.

and if the insurance company says you need a referral, you go get the referral. and if your doctor doesn't want to give it to you, then change doctors.

that is, if you were not just supposing.

and if you wanted to continue just supposing, maybe you could go to mary's orientation meeting on november 20 at 6 pm. in cedar knolls.

or, maybe there are a few internet sites, like http://www.obesitylapbandsurgery.com/
and www.spotlighthealth.com
or http://bioenterics.com/products/obes...t/patient.html

Last edited by jiffypop; 11-11-2002 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:56 AM   #3  
she who must be obeyed

peachie, just suppose.............the doctor isn't sure about doing a referral..........break into tears worked for me, the that I am.

You two just crack me up.........I can't wait to see both of you again. May, will it ever get here.

Love ya both
Debbie
Old 11-12-2002, 06:22 PM   #4  

hmmmmm......I suppose I thought that you all would send me to an out post run by the National Audobon Society!

So.....suppose I looked in the Aetna (with an A) book that lists all the providers that we are able to use? AND Suppose your doctor, Jiff, is in there.

I suppose that would be encouraging news!

AND

I suppose that if my sister gave me Mary's number that I could just leave it on the kitchen table and look at it for a while!

And

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to look at the links you posted....which I suppose I sort of already have done.

I also suppose that I would not make a wednesday night meeting because wrestling season starts next week. grrrrrrrrrr I suppose I checked that too!

but I could still just look at Mary's number for a while!

And

I suppose my primary care doctor is puddy in my hands. Doctor, I could really use some phentermine, a water pill, a little more codeine please? BUT I also suppose that he would have to find something wrong with me to justify the referal? I don't think I have diabetes....although I am not sure. I don't think I have high blood pressure. I know my varicose veins are bad......

just supposiing!!!

Thanks, No supposing there!

And

May can not come soon enough for me!!!

love,
peach
Old 11-17-2002, 09:53 PM   #5  
Hang In There

Default Okay Peachie

Suppose I was thinking of doing the same thing? I already feel like an expert on the subject of WLS, but the thought of considering it for myself is scary.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:03 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

Default OH GOOD GRIEF!!!!!

listen, you two.... you've BOTH seen it first hand. and you've BOTH been struggling. and you BOTH have horrible knees, which gives you the required comorbidities for the relative lightweight like peachie...

LOOK INTO IT!!! you can SAY NO at any point.

yes... it can happen to you. and everything good AND bad that's happened to debk, me, alvin, can happen to you.

as you well know.. it's not for everyone, and it's a choice only YOU can make.

love you both... very very much. and whatever you decide, i'll be right there behind you...
Old 11-17-2002, 10:40 PM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

is lapband covered by insurance now?
Old 11-18-2002, 02:53 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

Default YEP!!!

at least in general. no insurance company can say that it's experimental. but they can still deny coverage for a number of reasons, both administrative and medical.

it was approved by the FDA in 2001, but there are relatively few US surgeons who are trained and who have the experience in aftercare. new jersey is lucky; there are several.

a number of people are going to mexico, because there's more experience down there.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:03 PM   #9  

Hey Barb and KO (good to see you btw!) are you two thinking about "IT" also?

supposing has been good for me. It seems to give me hope.

BUT!

Here is the question of the Day:

Debkay and Jiff...can you guarantee me that when they go in "there" that "they" WON'T un-tie my tubes?

listen...this has been on my mind ALL day...and not good for my mental health.....and WE ALL know that is NOT a good thing!

later,
peach
and NO I have not been o d ing on sugar today!!!!
Old 11-18-2002, 07:05 PM   #10  

hey!!!!! I just read this over......WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH MY KNEES< JIFF?????

I think they are lovely.

peach
Old 11-18-2002, 07:07 PM   #11  

ummmm Jiff?

Will you get crickets for the great and wonderful lizard, godzilla, while I am gone?

peach
Old 11-18-2002, 07:08 PM   #12  

Old 11-18-2002, 07:33 PM   #13  
she who must be obeyed

My dear peach, with all they did to me, and all the many weeks they had to do it in, they didn't un-tie my tubes At least not as far as I know.

answering for Jiff here, she would be DELIGHTED to feed godzilla

peachie if you decide to do "IT" you have my support 100%.

Barb would you be interested in band or RNY?

Debbie
Old 11-18-2002, 08:36 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

PEACHIE: WHERE ARE YOU GOING????? the lap band is same day surgery... you're not going anywhere!!! and your knees are lovely, but didn't you tell me the other day that they hurt like....???? or was that someone else i was talking to? the someone else who lives in your house and feeds godzilla????

and as for untying your tubes... they won't be operating in the same area!! close, but not close enough...
Old 11-21-2002, 01:17 PM   #15  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi
I decided I want to have IT done after months of deliberating in my head seeing my sis in the small percentage that has a hard time and realizing A that i'm not her (i'd have to be 5 inches taller to be her) and B my bod is aging and this weight is not helping my bad knees and hips and well everything LOL
I'm not sure if the Insurance my moms about to get (PLEASE GOD of INSURANCE SMILE UPON US SOON) covers lapband and my sis had RNY so i have to poke around a bit
Oh Jiff! my sis has met you and do you have that mary lady's email? b/c sis asked her if i could mail her some questions and i cant find her email and aol ate the email sis sent me
ttya later
Kier
oh ps does lapband have a shorter recovery?
Closed Thread