Have 6 months to lose 30 pounds but...

• I want to lose 50 at least in those six months. My insurance requires me to be on a physician supervised diet for 6 months so I figure I should try to get as much off as I can. I don't think 50 pounds is too much in six months. I've already lost 4 pounds and that was before my first appointment with the physician. I'm lucky in the fact that I'm only 20 so the weight comes off pretty fast. My mom's overweight and it takes her a while to lose 2 pounds. Anyhoo, my parents have joined the gym with me so hopefully we'll all lose some weight. I'm worried about the whole idea of the surgery, though. It honestly scares the $#*! outta me but I know it's necessary. Do any of you have any words of wisdom?
  • hi Elizabeth - looks like you're off to a great start. and while you're wise to try to get as much weight off as possible before surgery [ALWAYS a good idea to make any surgery as safe as possible], the main reason for the supervised diet is to see if you can actually follow instructions and if you're motivated enough to stick to something over the long haul.

i see you're looking to lose a total of about 200 pounds - you can do it! are your parents thinking about surgery, too?

what scares you about the surgery? it's a big step - big decision. how did you decide this was the right thing for you? and what kind of surgery are you having?

no matter what, making a decision is always a good feeling. hang out - talk with us - you're doing great.
  • @Jiffy,
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I decided on WLS because I've been dieting since I was twelve and have had only mild success. The most weight I've ever lost is 75 pounds and I gained it back. And then some. I think that having the surgery will help to get the pounds off and keep them off. My mom was thinking about having the surgery but decided against it. IDK why. I think the thing that scares me most is something going wrong during the surgery. I was scared when I had my gallbladder removed, too though. I just don't like having surgery. But if it'll help me to lose this weight then I'll do it.