Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 11:56 PM   #1  

Default quetions

How overweight does a person have to be to have the surgery or how do they determine that you can have it? I have been hearing alot about it lately!
Old 12-05-2002, 07:00 AM   #2  
she who must be obeyed

The normal standard is 100 pounds or more over your ideal weight. A bmi of 40 or above. Or a lower bmi, with obesity related health issues, diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension, gerd, reflux and I'm sure there are more.

WLS is not a first line defense in the battle of obesity.......it's the "I've tried and tried everything else" now I need something more.

What type of surgery are you thinking about/researching? A really, really good web site with mounds of info is www.obesityhelp.com If you can think of a question it has probably been ask before and is in the archieves of this site.

Jiff is great when it comes to info, I'm sure she will be along soon.

Keep asking questions.

Welcome
Debbie
Old 12-05-2002, 04:19 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

hey there girls!!! just took 2-1/2 hours to drive 20 miles in the snow!! i think i could have walked it faster!! but i'm home safe and sound.

as for your question, rballplayer [raquetball perhaps?], deb pretty much answered it. there are websites where you can check your own bmi. and when deb said that you can qualify with a bmi lower than 40, the lower limit is 38 with comorbidities [some insurance companies require 3, but others require only 1]. and i've even heard of people gaining weight just so that they could qualify for the surgery!!

that seems ridiculous to me.

and it really is a last resort. not a quick fix at all. it requires lifetime support and a complete commitment to change your eating habits DRASTICALLY. it's not impossible by any means, or i wouldn't have been able to do it. it's just very different.

so, keep asking questions.l we're here to help!!
Closed Thread