Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 02:30 PM   #1  

Default cost of lap-band?

Hi, i was just wondering if anyone who has had the lap-band procedure can tell me what the cost was, and how much the fill is? i do not have the type of insurance that will cover weight loss procedures, so id like to know how much it would be. i have heard that it is much cheaper to get done in mexico and i would be willing to travel if i could afford it. any info you could give me on this subject would be much appreciated. thank you.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:43 PM   #2  

Hi! I went to Monterrey, Mexico and the wonderful Dr. Rumbaut did my surgery. With surgery, hospital costs, travel (for 2) and hotel it cost me about $14,000. Less then the price for a new car. My opinion is that a lot of people would by a new car, why not buy a healthy body that will last longer?

Good luck and keep us posted!

Blondee
Old 12-01-2002, 01:52 PM   #3  

thank you for responding to my post. unfortunately i will have to wait awhile before i am able to afford such surgery. i do not have health care through my job, and i have regence blue shield private insurance. as far as i can tell they do not pay for this. how have your results been with the surgery? i need to lose about 120 pounds more (ive lost 15). small amount but im working on it. thanks again.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:32 PM   #4  
Slowly going crazy!

Just thought I would chime in here.

I will be going to Mexico as well (dr. Kuri in Tijuana) he charges $8500.00 and then you pay travel and hotel. The charges include hospital stay, tests, and all your fills.

He called me on the phone the day after I signed his online contact form, and we talked for quite a while.

I've been quoted $18000.00 for the lap-band in Seattle by Dr. Oh. Too much money IMHO, and then to have to pay for fills on top of that, and that doesn't included any presurgery tests.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:33 PM   #5  
Domestic Goddess

What are "fills" ?
Old 12-04-2002, 12:12 PM   #6  

thanks for the reply amy. i was wondering if you have the fills done in mexico also or if you can get those done locally? gosh i would love to get that surgery done, i hope all goes well for you! good luck
Old 12-04-2002, 03:02 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

chrissy. from what i understand [and i hope someone jumps in if i'm wrong]! the lapband is a ring around your stomach. and this ring can be loosened and tightened by adding or taking out saline [basically salt water]. and tightening the band is called a fill. they fill it with saline.

and it makes your little tiny tummy pouch empty more slowly than a looser band.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:08 PM   #8  
Slowly going crazy!

Jiffy is right, a fill will help tighten your band to where YOU want it to be. That's what's good about this surgery is that it's adjustable to your needs.

Surgery ranges from $18,000 here in the Seattle area, to the price I quoted of $8500.

Average prices are around $10,000 but only if you go out of the country.

I chose out of the country because they have been doing the lap-band surgery for many years now. IT has only been approved in the US since 2001, so many US doctors aren't quite 'there' as to the techniques, etc.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:11 PM   #9  

I agree with Amy! The reason I went to Mexico along with the fact that it's cheaper is that they've been doing it longer down there and they are the experts. From what I understand a lot of American Doctors are going down there to learn. This is a practice makes perfect surgery and I wanted to have my surgery done by someone who has placed a lot of bands.

Amy, I also live in Washington state.

Blondee
Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico
10/1/02
-40 lbs.
Closed Thread