Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/251/210

Height: 5'9

Red face 16 years old. Weight Loss Surgery?

So, I'm going into my senior year in highschool.
I'll be 17 in December.
I REALLY need to lose some stomach fat
before my Senior Prom.
The clock is ticking...
I'm dieting ..etc
Lost maybe 8 pounds since JUNE.
Any mini-surgeries for 16 [or 17 year olds]
Suggestions.. etc
*sigh*
I sound stupid but I'm so serious! LOL.
iFashionistaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

How tall are you- how much do you weigh? What are you doing to diet? Are you exercising? How often and how long?

Oh and when is prom?

Last edited by beerab; 09-01-2010 at 11:23 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #3  

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
How tall are you- how much do you weigh? What are you doing to diet? Are you exercising? How often and how long?

Oh and when is prom?
I'm 5'9 .. I weigh 251.. I count calories.. my doctor says 1,000 a day. and I dance ALOT as a form of exersizing about an hour a day like every other day

My prom is next may... far away.. I KNOW but.. That gives me time to lose weight and keep my sanity .. LOL
Old 09-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #4  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

1000 calories a day is too few. Many doctors really don't know all that much about nutrition. You'll lose much more slowly if you eat so few calories. Plus you are more likely to get frustrated and binge on high calorie junk or just quit altogether.

At your age and size and height you could eat 1800 calories a day (or healthy whole foods not coke and chips and ice cream) and lose a couple pounds a week. I'm 52 years old (so a much slower metabolism) and don't exercise all that much and I've lost 70 pounds since February on 1500 a day. If you really are honest about your calorie intake, track it EVERY (and I do mean every) day, and eat healthy foods rather than junk you'll be in great shape by the prom.

Surgery isn't the easy answer you are looking for. You still have to watch what you eat and stay away from the junk food after surgery to lose the weight. If you had hundreds of pounds to lose, then yeah, it would be worth considering but you are even looking at one hundred pounds. The old fashioned way is the way to go: eat less, eat healthy, honestly track what you eat, and get exercise. 10 pounds a month adds up fast!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Glad to meet you iFashionistaa

First, you do not sound stupid... we all understand how you feel. At your age I don't think there are many doctors that would perform surgery but there are good reasons for that.

You said your doctor suggest 1,000 calories a day but in my opinion that is way to low. What I would suggest is maybe joining weight watchers, or a good weight loss place that is going to teach you healthy habits for life.

There are many diet plans here on this site that you should look into. Select one that you think you could "live" with and give it a whirl. How is your support at home? I know when I was growing up (very over weight) I had absolutely no support, it was quite the opposite, my mom would have a fork in my face every chance she could. If your support is like mine (was), then you have to be really strong. Just keep saying to yourself that this is something you really want and don't let anyone get in your way. I used to say to myself "food will be around forever... but I won't" and it got me through some tough times. Focus on the dress you would like to wear at the prom, hang a picture of it where you can see it.. like the kitchen / frig, etc..

You can do it hon, I know you can !! Don't forget you have this site which is jam packed with lots of good info and people to cheer you on.

So... pick a plan and jump on in.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #6  

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post

Glad to meet you iFashionistaa

First, you do not sound stupid... we all understand how you feel. At your age I don't think there are many doctors that would perform surgery but there are good reasons for that.

You said your doctor suggest 1,000 calories a day but in my opinion that is way to low. What I would suggest is maybe joining weight watchers, or a good weight loss place that is going to teach you healthy habits for life.

There are many diet plans here on this site that you should look into. Select one that you think you could "live" with and give it a whirl. How is your support at home? I know when I was growing up (very over weight) I had absolutely no support, it was quite the opposite, my mom would have a fork in my face every chance she could. If your support is like mine (was), then you have to be really strong. Just keep saying to yourself that this is something you really want and don't let anyone get in your way. I used to say to myself "food will be around forever... but I won't" and it got me through some tough times. Focus on the dress you would like to wear at the prom, hang a picture of it where you can see it.. like the kitchen / frig, etc..

You can do it hon, I know you can !! Don't forget you have this site which is jam packed with lots of good info and people to cheer you on.

So... pick a plan and jump on in.

Leenie

This is so nerve wreckinggg LOL
Well, any plans you would suggest because I've looked at everything from the Soup Diet to the Fruit diet..you name it
and none of them really seem right for me..
I'm not really a junk food chick.. I love chicken and pizza and i HATE sweets.
Any pizza diets? Lol. im kidding but
You feel my drift.. like which diet should I concider in your opinion...

Occ: All i know is that when MAY comes and im STILL 251, I'm gonna lose hair from STRESS! Lol . I'll b BALD AT PROM.

Last edited by iFashionistaa; 09-02-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #7  

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladadog View Post
1000 calories a day is too few. Many doctors really don't know all that much about nutrition. You'll lose much more slowly if you eat so few calories. Plus you are more likely to get frustrated and binge on high calorie junk or just quit altogether.

At your age and size and height you could eat 1800 calories a day (or healthy whole foods not coke and chips and ice cream) and lose a couple pounds a week. I'm 52 years old (so a much slower metabolism) and don't exercise all that much and I've lost 70 pounds since February on 1500 a day. If you really are honest about your calorie intake, track it EVERY (and I do mean every) day, and eat healthy foods rather than junk you'll be in great shape by the prom.

Surgery isn't the easy answer you are looking for. You still have to watch what you eat and stay away from the junk food after surgery to lose the weight. If you had hundreds of pounds to lose, then yeah, it would be worth considering but you are even looking at one hundred pounds. The old fashioned way is the way to go: eat less, eat healthy, honestly track what you eat, and get exercise. 10 pounds a month adds up fast!
70 in 7 months?? First and foremost Good Job!
That's amazing and also motivation.
I understand you counted calories but what exersizes did you do etc..

[Also since I want to lose stomach fat, what should I do because I heard crunches dont really work unless your stomach is ALREADY flat and you just want Abs or something]
Old 09-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I heard this, and I tried it, and it worked for me. Cardio, cardio, cardio. Cardio does wonders for your core. I lost 121 lbs in 12 months and went from a size 20W to a size 4! I did do some weight training in that process, but as far as my belly, cardio did the trick. I started walking 20 mins a day for 3 days a week. When that became to easy, i adding jogging, then moved up to four days a week. Eventually, as it gets easier, and it will, you can add more time or days, or even start running. When I first began, I couldn't walk fast, my feet hurt, my back hurt, my boobs bounced around all over the place, my knee would kill me. So that's why I did it slow, 3X a week, just 20 mins. Once the weight came off, my body was able to handle it and now I am running, not jogging, running up to 6 miles.

Maybe you should find some cardio that you really enjoy. My sister whose weight started at 280 and is now at 230 started getting faster results from cardio too. I hope that helps you a little!

Chin up young person! You can do it! Prom will be GREAT! Slow and steady wins the race.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFashionistaa View Post
This is so nerve wreckinggg LOL
Well, any plans you would suggest because I've looked at everything from the Soup Diet to the Fruit diet..you name it
and none of them really seem right for me..
I'm not really a junk food chick.. I love chicken and pizza and i HATE sweets.
Any pizza diets? Lol. im kidding but
You feel my drift.. like which diet should I concider in your opinion...

Occ: All i know is that when MAY comes and im STILL 251, I'm gonna lose hair from STRESS! Lol . I'll b BALD AT PROM.
I know its nerve wrecking... been there...still doing it

I would consider weight watchers... because its not a fad diet and you can still eat the foods you love just in moderation. There is nothing wrong with a slice of pizza and a nice healthy salad to help fill in the void, or some fruit. And if you like to cook, experimenting with pizza is FUN, there are so many recipes out there just to kick things up a notch.

Weight watchers teaches you about portion control, measuring, etc... its something I wish I had the opportunity to do when I was your age (I was almost 300 lbs at 18 years old.. so I truly do understand how you feel and I did not go to my prom.. I was to big for the boys). We did not have the internet or anything else to help us learn about nutrition, that's where 3FC's and Weight Watchers can help you. Plus you will have the support of others that are going through the same thing you are.

Anyway... that would be my suggestion... Good Luck

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #10  
Rather be riding!

S/C/G: 81.5/75.1/60 since 18Feb2015

Height: 157 cm

Another voice for Weightwatchers. There's simply no other program like it. If you want to lose weight for prom only, there's lots of ways to do that. If you want to lose weight for *life*, WW will do it for you.

Surgery is unlikely for you unless your physician feels you have exhausted all other options.
LuckyDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #11  
Old Cackler

Hi Fashionista!!

ANOTHER vote for weight watchers here! with a vote for more cardio. and meaning cardio every day - not just a few days a week.

surgery is truly a last resort - and there are NO 'temporary mini-surgeries' around. there are CLINICAL TRIALS for the lapband going on with teenagers, but you are on the lightweight side for these trials.

you have more than 6 months - 24 weeks - until prom. if you lose an average of 1.5 lb a week [a reasonable weight loss], you'll have lost more than 30 pounds by then!!!! you can totally do this!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #12  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi Fashion!
Is your family supportive? Maybe you and your Mom/sibs could do weight watchers and have getting healthy be your new school year resolution? Definitely start walking or power walking in addition to the dancing
If you go on livestrong.com you can plug in what you eat and see how much you're really eating!
Maybe also get your doc to refer you to a dietician and work out a plan
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #13  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFashionistaa View Post
I'm 5'9 .. I weigh 251.. I count calories.. my doctor says 1,000 a day. and I dance ALOT as a form of exersizing about an hour a day like every other day

My prom is next may... far away.. I KNOW but.. That gives me time to lose weight and keep my sanity .. LOL
Everyone here is so nice- I'm going to flat out say it- your doctor is an idiot. My old doctor told me I have to lose at least three pounds a week. I went to a nutritionist she told me my doctor was crazy to tell me that. Sorry to be harsh but if a doctor doesn't know then they shouldn't tell their patients what to do or refer them at least! As you can tell I'm still bitter

At 251 and 1,000 calories your body is STARVING. You should be eating around 1800-1900 calories a day to lose weight. NEVER go under 1200 calories EVER.

I think for the most part eating 75% of the caloric intake you need a day helps you to lose weight- and every 10 lbs of weight loss you re-evaluate. So at 251 lbs that means your body maintains at 2510 calories per day, 75% of that is 1882 calories a day. So around 1800-1900 calories a day is a great way for your body to get the calories it needs and burn some of it's own.

Not sure what you are eating but try no fast food and as much whole food as possible, big salads, homemade soups, grilled meats, etc.

Don't pick something that's a fad, people can't eat only fruit or soup, you have to change your LIFE around to maintain a healthy weight. That doesn't mean you won't eat pizza again, it'll just be something you don't eat as frequently as before. I still enjoy pizza now and then, but not often since I follow a low carb lifestyle. I enjoy the south beach diet, it emphasizes the right carbs and eating lots of veggies and lean protein- that's one diet you might want to consider besides Weight Watchers. Whatever you pick, pick something you know you can stick with. And we all change our minds at points, it's okay, I first started calorie counting then moved on to South Beach and it's been a good fit ever since

Last edited by beerab; 09-03-2010 at 02:42 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I can't recommend Weight Watchers because I've never done the Points thing (for a few reasons I won't go into here), but I can absolutely second the recommendation for South Beach - it's based on real, healthy foods and teaches how to eat healthfully as opposed to teaching you how to just lose weight.

Dancing (cardio) and counting calories is a great start - I really don't think you should be looking at surgery at this point. I know lots of people who do have surgery say they wish they'd done it sooner, but at 16, you're not ready for such a major lifestyle change. I've seen cases of bands and VSGs performed on teens, but they are typically MUCH more overweight than you are, and their health is already suffering due to the obesity.

I had a junior prom, not a senior prom (just how we did it at my high school), and I was about 5'5 and more than 250 pounds for my prom. I survived and even had fun!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #15  
Jen

I also second WW, I did lose about 16 lbs after the birth of my first baby but didn't stick with it long enough to get the full effect of the program. It does work though. I just didn't have the $$ to keep going to the meetings or really the time either with a newborn on my hands.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote