I'm In Tears, My Surgery Has Been Cancelled!!

• I am just gutted. My head hurts and my sinuses are swollen from crying so much. My surgeon's secretary phoned this afternoon to tell me she had to cancel my surgery. Reason: Tricare (military insurance) has failed to pay for all the services this surgeon and the hospital he works at have provided, since July. As a result, they have no choice but to suspend services until payment is received, which I fully understand. This is at least the 2nd time they've had problems with Tricare..........yes, Tricare does EVENTUALLY pay, but not in a timely manner, which is where the problem is.

Since I'm overseas (England), my options are very limited. I guess I'll have to begin fighting the system in the morning and see what happens. I'm just afraid this surgeon/hospital will be fed up with dealing with the military system and decide to not provide services for us anymore. Even if Tricare does pay up soon, I know my date of Dec. 17th will be gone, as this surgeon can't hold slots for military people when there are other people who can pay cash or have private insurance. This surgeon is a kind, british man who truly cares about obese people, and I know he feels bad for being forced to make this decision. I feel like I will have surgery at some point, but I just don't know when. I can't think straight right now, as I'm beside myself with being so upset. Please pray for me (and the other people this will affect), that this situation will be resolved soon. Thanks for listening....God Bless

Just me...Robin
    Pre-290
    Surgery Date: who knows now
  • Robin I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

Don't give up, I'm sure you won't. Maybe something will happen and you can get a date not to far in the future.

Hang in there, chin up and all that.

Debbie
  • oh robin....
    really feeling for you here...

the surgery WILL happen, though. somewhere, somehow.

is there any hope that you could come stateside and maybe it would be easier? is there ANYONE that tricare actually PAYS???

keep us posted... we're rooting for you..
  • BRIEF UPDATE
    Me here....

I wish I could say that everything has been sorted out and my surgery date is guaranteed. Unfortunately, it isn't quite so simple. I have made loads of phone calls, e-mailed the surgeon twice and, basically, have done all I know to do to fight to make sure my surgery happens in December.

As of now, the surgeon appears to still be waiting for payment. Some or all, I'm not totally sure. He said he will keep my surgery date, but has double booked it at this point. He is also now on vacation. I'm guessing if things are not sorted out to his satisfaction when he returns, he will completely cancel my date (& the few other gals waiting). At this point, I just want to know....is he going to do it or not. The not knowing is the hardest part, really. So, that's how things are now. I will post an update when I have a firm answer. I still covet your prayers that everything will work out and I can have surgery in Dec. God Bless....

Just me...Robin
    Pre-290
    Surgery Date: Dec. 17th, hopefully!!!!