Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

Default Protein supplements. How many of you take them?

Ok I went to a nutritionist after finding the courage to do so, as the one assigned by the hospital could rarely see me or give me decent advice.

Anyways she is a very nice and has done quite some research on gastric sleeve operations. Anyways before meauring my fat and muscles she called my gym-trainer on phone and asked my statistics from last month and it turns out 1 kg out of the last 5 I lost this month is muscle.

Now she told me to try and eat my protein in every meal and she told me she is going to give me protein supplements next month in the case I lose muscle percentage again.

Now I was wondering... How many of you ladies take protein supplements and how do they taste? Are they tablets or liquid?
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 249.6/237/155

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetyladyserenity View Post
Ok I went to a nutritionist after finding the courage to do so, as the one assigned by the hospital could rarely see me or give me decent advice.

Anyways she is a very nice and has done quite some research on gastric sleeve operations. Anyways before meauring my fat and muscles she called my gym-trainer on phone and asked my statistics from last month and it turns out 1 kg out of the last 5 I lost this month is muscle.

Now she told me to try and eat my protein in every meal and she told me she is going to give me protein supplements next month in the case I lose muscle percentage again.

Now I was wondering... How many of you ladies take protein supplements and how do they taste? Are they tablets or liquid?
My nutrionist/doctor has put me on meal replacement/protein shakes for breakfast. It is a liquid that I have every morning (instead of a chicken biscuit). It really does fill you up. I have a sensitve pallet (I'm extremely picky with my food) so the taste had to grow on me but it taste like slimfast to me now. Hope this helps
Kwilliams2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

Hi there! I have not had bypass surgery, but have experimented with many kinds of protein powders. I am still looking for one that I absolutely love, as many of them have a strange sort of bitter/skunky taste, especially ones that have more artificial sweeteners in them. I'm sure your nutritionist has a brand she likes, for nutritional and taste reasons. Some recipes you can use the powder in to increase total protein intake that way. If you like whatever you use, please let me know. Online reviews can be confusing, and I am not looking forward to purchasing another $30 plus tub of powder only to be disappointed. Happy hunting and best wishes to get healthier.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #4  

With losing weight so fast via wls, it's very difficult for us NOT to lose muscle along with the fat. I don't think protein will necessarily prevent that due to the weight loss that we have. At least that's what I have been told.
diminishingdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

My dietician/nutritionist recommends 60 grams of protein a day. Our program uses ProtiDiet as the protein supplement. Basically take as many of them as needed in a day to give yourself 60 grams of protein.

I made a cauliflower soup with ham that was delicious. I had to use the immersion blender because I can only have liquids right now. It looked nasty, but tasted yummy. And a great source of protein!

ProtiDiet has a whole line of liquid supplements and bars. I just searched online for them. I can totally see keeping them as part of my daily diet to keep my protein up.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #6  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I drank a lot of them when I first had surgery. I like the EAS which I got at Costco and Unjury which I got online. I got a sample pack from Unjury right before surgery to test out which ones I liked the best then ordered them. The Chocolate milkshake, "chicken soup", and orange cream, to name a few, were good!

Never take any of them as they come. I made egg nog out of vanilla EAS, Egg beater (because they are pasturized), vanilla and pumpkin pie spice, yummy!

made a Mocha with chocolate EAS, vanilla, splenda, and instant coffee. (be sure not to mix any protein powder with water hotter then 120 degrees because it curdles),

made a pina colada with vanilla EAS, vanilla, Sugarfree coconut and banana syrups (Starbucks makes them) and strained pineapple juice (if you can handle it).

All are great served over ice or blended!

The thing is, you will lose mucsle and you have to work at maintaining as much muscle as you can through exercise and protein. It makes a huge difference in how you feel!

Good luck honey!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 04-11-2010 at 04:43 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

i probably need to go back to them. while we do lose a lot of muscle, the extra protein serves a couple of purposes. first of all, it helps stabilize our blood sugar. VERY important. second, there's not a chance that we can maintain, let alone build, muscle without consuming the 'components.' in this case the amino acids in the protein supplements. And these supplements also give us the basic buildling blocks for teeth, blood cells, and other assorted body parts.

so, go for it!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
How many of you ladies take protein supplements and how do they taste? Are they tablets or liquid?
If there is such thing as a protein supplement in pill form, it i likely only maybe 1 gram of protein per pill - ain't gonna cut it. Protein supplements are generally shakes. They do make protein "bullets" that look like fat little tst tubes, but please do not be tempted by these, as they contain mainly collagen protein, which is NOT a ocmplete protein and will not help you at all (some claim to be "whey isolate," but if you read the ingredients the first type of protein listed is never actually whey, they just happen to have some whey in them). You can also buy natural protein powder to mix into things like soups.

Now, as mentioned, consumming more protein will not make you stop losing muscle. It may slow the muscle loss, but to really maintain muscle, you need to do resistance/weight-bearing exercises. And, also as mentioned, protein is important for lots of reasons other than just muscle (including healing - keep those protein levels up cuz ya never know when you might get injured or need an emergency surgery or...I have watched feriends lose a ton of weight and then have plastic surgery and their recovery from the plastic was VERY hard due in large part to their lacking protein levels).

I remember having my body composition tested pre-op at a gym, and the results were something like that 190 pounds of my body weight was "lean" while the remaining 110 pounds was fat. So, if I never lost any muscle, I could not possibly weight only 200 (or less) because then I would have NO fat left!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #9  
Sports Goddess

S/C/G: 265/120.2

Height: 5'4"

I drank a protein shake everyday for the first 2 years postop b/c I couldn't eat enough. I liked Myoplex and Muscle Milk. I'd say I still do one every 4-6 weeks (or when I travel) if I can't eat enough that day.
AAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

Thank you ladies for your help. I hope I will not eventually need the protein supplements, because I have enough protein in my diet so far.

One more question in your personal opinion. What about protein bars? Do they help the same as protein shakes or are they completely different? Sorry if this sounds stupid but I am quite confused.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
One more question in your personal opinion. What about protein bars? Do they help the same as protein shakes or are they completely different? Sorry if this sounds stupid but I am quite confused.
Protein bars can be just as good as shakes as far as the actual protein goes, but they tend to pack in a lot more junk than the shakes (think total carbs, sugar, sugar alcohols, potentially trans fats, etc.).

I actually like my protein shakes. It took a long time for me to find some that I truly enjoy, but I do, and they are a super convenient for me to have in the car on the way to work for breakfast.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #12  
Sports Goddess

S/C/G: 265/120.2

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Thank you ladies for your help. I hope I will not eventually need the protein supplements, because I have enough protein in my diet so far.

Some protein bars are quite tasty. It's kind of a hit/miss thing. You have to try a few to see what you like, what has the sugar content you want, and what has the protein content you want.
AAAA is offline   Reply With Quote