Medications

• Hi Y'all,
    I'm here in Fort Worth, 7 plus inches of snow and still falling. Has everything gone crazy? I thought I'd never see this much snow again after leaving Indy 10 years ago. I'm scheduled for RNY on 3/1. I start a 2-week liquid pre-op on Sunday. I've been having a "last supper" all week. Is there a comprehensive list of medications that I won't be allowed to take after the surgery? I've seen Celebrex and aspirin as no-no's. Is there a special reason? What do people do to substitute?

Thanks,
    Kim
  • main reason it bad and can react badly with the anesthesia. i know tylenol is a good alternative to the asprin and always check with your doctor i'm not a doctor so but it what it what i took when i need an alto to my excerdrine(sp?) sucks for the snow my girllfirnd in new jersery and she call me fussing about it too.

nikki
  • The countdown begins!!!! about the celebrex and aspirin - because you're having stomach surgery, these drugs can wreck your stomach [they're related to ulcers in large doses] AND they can keep your blood from clotting. docs generallly want to be careful around this time.

so, ask your doc about his/her particular policies - most will recommend tylenol for aches and pains, but that's a call for your doc to make. Also, in case you're taking anything else that's interesting, your doc needs to give you the lowdown.
  • No ibuprofen either because NSAID's are bad on the stomach. A lot of it has to do with you not having stomach acid in your pouch and therefore these medicines can sit on the lining of your pouch and basically cause ulcers. Tylenol is okay to take and that's basically what I take in place of the NSAID's.
  • Thanks everyone for the info. I've got one more question/concern. I've got heart disease in my family. My mom had her first heart attack at age 56 and I'm 46 and much heavier than she ever was. I just quit smoking last year (April 20, 2009). So, one of the major reasons I'm having surgery is my fear of heart disease and possibly dying early. My mom passed away in 2000 at age 67. Anyway, a lot of heart patients (or folks that want to prevent heart trouble) take a baby aspirin. If I can't have aspirin, what can I do? I know that losing weight will be a big step towards lowering my risk of a heart attack just as quitting smoking was. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that everything will be o.k.

Thanks,
    Kim
  • The aspirin helps men prevent heart attacks. It is not effective for women. Check out the AHA website. The best thing you can do is lose weight and keep chloresterol under control.
  • Instead of baby aspirin for heart health, have you considered Omega oils? Right now they are a big NO-NO because they thin the blood and should NOT be taken around the surgery. I just had my operation and will be off of them for a while but I am going to ask my surgeon when I can get back on them. I was taking the Mega Red Krill Oil for cardiovascular health. IMHO, they have a far greater health benefit than aspirin does.
    Take care.
  • Just as a side note: Aspirin therapy for women is effective for stroke prevention under the age of 65 if you have other stroke risk factors, and can prevent a second heart attack if you have one before the age of 65. After the age of 65, aspirin does lower risk of a first heart attack.

Basically, the recommendation is no aspirin for women under 65 unless you have risk of a stroke or have already had a heart attack.

But don't go start taking aspirin willy nilly or stop taking daily aspirin without talking to your health care providers. ;>
  • at the risk of sounding like a broken record- talk to your doc about this. stopping smoking is possibly the BEST thing you can do to reduce your risk. and then losing weight - and living a healthier life - you can decrease your risk even more.

many folks can take SOME aspirin after they're completely healed, but that's something you need to discuss with THE DOC.

don't despair, darlin. and if you're doc hasn't told you to take a baby aspirin, i hope you're not taking it!