3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery-78/)
-   -   Want yummy flavor and high protein ? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery/192975-want-yummy-flavor-high-protein.html)

sindurella 02-01-2010 05:24 PM

Want yummy flavor and high protein ?

So I am a chicken salad lover .. love the mayo goodness with pickles and onion and all kinds of stuff thrown in. Alas since I can no longer have it the way I loved it... I have come up with a great new recipe for a healthy chicken salad.

- about 2 cups shredded or cubed chicken (however you like, I just rip apart a roast chicken after taking the skin off.
-Orange, red, yellow or green bell pepper (whichever is your fav. I use orange or yellow)
- 2 celery stalked diced
- 2-3 green onions diced ( i like a lotta onion)
-1/2cup hummus! yes ladies hummus! I use Trader Joes original hummus, but you could easily use garlic hummus or whatever flavor is your fav.
salt and pepper to taste.. I just use pepper, sometimes lemon pepper or garlic pepper.

Basically just combine everything. I put in enough hummus to make it moist, but not overly so. I have it with a few pita chips or just by itself. Totally fills my chicken salad needs. YUMMERS

Duckslove 02-01-2010 06:15 PM

good idea!
I have been using canola oil mayo when i use mayo. it has less fat in it, and the fat that is there is a good for you fat. I like it as much as regular mayonaise.

jiffypop 02-01-2010 07:24 PM

hummus is just wonderful. even just mixed with chopped peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes - GREAT salad!

bloodroses 02-02-2010 06:26 AM

ill have to try this considering i thought i never have it again because of the
fatten mayo and havent had since my surgery.

jillybean720 02-02-2010 07:18 AM

I just use mayo and sweet relish in mine (I get the no sugar added sweet relish made with Splenda, though). I used to use the canola oil mayo, but for some reason, I can taste a difference between that and regular mayo now, so I just use regular. I think my tastebuds are getting more sensitive!

Come to think of it, I don't think I've had hummus at all since my surgery. It may be time to rediscover it!

Something else to try to cut the fat and even boost the protein a bit in salads like that - half mayo, half Greek yogurt.

jiffypop 02-02-2010 07:19 AM

yummmm, greek yogurt. i've been able to get 5 pound containers of regular yogurt so i can make the greek yogurt. a happy HAPPY thing!

nanj 02-02-2010 08:46 AM

I love hummus and I love greek style yogurt! HMMMM! will try them both in the chicken salad. I make a Greek-style yogurt every week and use if for cooking, sour cream sub, and baking. Hummus.....has saved my bacon many a time when I come home at night and want to eat the house down. My DIL just introduced me to a new "green" Greek sauce from our favorite Greek place. I know there is olive oil and garlic in it, but haven't figured out the rest. It is not like a pesto, and the brats won't give out their recipe. It is as green as grass and a little salty. Any ideas?

nanj 02-02-2010 09:31 AM

Here is my treat for yesterday:

Chocolate Meringue Kisses from the Daily Dish:

2 egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 c. sugar sub (I used Whey-Low super-fine ground)
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, lump free
1/2 tsp vanilla extract - didn't use sf

Preheat oven to 250 degrees

Whip your egg whites and cream of tartar in a grease-free, chilled bowl on high speed until soft peaks form and hold their shape when you lift the beaters. Add the sugar sub, 1 tablespoon at a time; until whites turn glossy and form stiff peaks and hold their shape. Whisk in cocoa and vanilla until blended.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Fit a large star nozzle into pastry bag; pipe 20 cookies. (I used a baggie with a hole cut in the corner.) Bake 30 minutes, until crisp and dry. Turn oven off, let cookies cool in oven for 30 minutes. Some of the girls were making sammies out of these using light cool whip. I don't know how they store because my grandkids and DH was here! They figure around 19 cal. each, but I don't know what kind of sugar sub they used. 1 gram of protein.

ladybugnessa 02-04-2010 06:54 AM

I love hummus.

we still use pickles and mayo for hubby's salads... chicken, ham or tuna. I don't like meat salads....