Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #1  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

Default Cereal Monster

I have wasted several boxes of cereal because it used to be an all time favorie before surgery. However, I realize that most cereal is loaded with carbs so I stay away from it, but sometimes I just want a bowl. I have probably eaten cereal twice since surgery. It wasn't the greatest experience trying to eat it with milk and making me feel very bloated. Does anyone eat cereal and if so what kind? Unfortunately I am a fan of kids cereal

Last edited by worthylady; 12-09-2009 at 11:50 PM.
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:38 AM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I do but as you said it's loaded with carbs and I try to make better choices. There are just times that a bowl of chex or rice crispys hit the spot as nothing else can.

I just try and remember to eat to live, not live to eat!

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

i'm not a cereal eater - thank goodness!!! some people like the high-protein kashi and find it works pretty well for them.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Kashi Go lean
Special K with Protein
Fiber 1
There is a brand of more bariatric friendly cereal called Kays I haven't tried it but it might be worth a shot
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #5  

Not a cereal suggestion, but more from a storage aspect so you won't waste as much--have you looked into getting a cereal keeper? I know Tupperware makes one, but you can also get them on the Rubbermaid/Sterilite kitchen aisle at Walmart/Target, etc. They'll keep a box of cereal fresh for MONTHS. Then you can indulge in a bowl every great once in awhile w/o the waste.

Or, have you thought about one of those "kid's packs" that has 6-8 different small boxes wrapped up together? That would be a good way to control portions, too, esp. if you divided each small box into two servings.
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #6  

Yes, I have thought about the kids sized individual packages. I agree that a good bowly of cereal every now and then really hits the spot. I just didn't know how easy it goes down for most after surgery. I have difficulty digesting cereal. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I've played with making my own granola at home - lots of recipes online. I substitute sweeteners for sugar (Splenda, erythritol, or Whey Low) and can control the quality of the ingredients and can include more finely chopped nuts and such to give me more the nutritionals I'm looking for.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

A while back there was was a recipe published here that was for "vegetable" cereal. The recipe looked good and was nothing I had every considered doing. I cannot remember how exactly the recipe went--only that I was impressed by it. Maybe someone can post a link?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

yoo hoo, JILLY!!!! can you post any of those granola recipes??? I LOVE the stuff, but am afraid of it - but since you've managed to perfect this - HELP!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:48 PM   #10  

I have been eating Bear Naked granola in my low fat yogurt, great combination. I have also managed to put cherrios in my yogurt so that does help. Great suggestions.