Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 01:42 PM   #1  
she who must be obeyed

Default Just wanted to share, blood work.

Last week I went to my PCP she drew blood to check all my levels.

Everything is within the normal range, and best of all my diabetes is completely under control without any meds of any kind. My A1c was 4.6, with a daily average of 88!!!

Jiff I'm in the low normal range with B-12, do you think I should supplement?? The only thing I take is a daily multi.

Debbie
341/246/?
Old 08-28-2002, 04:40 PM   #2  

Hiya Deb....

Just wanted to say how happy I am that you no longer have diabetes and, overall, you're getting more healthy with each passing day! I'm so excited for you and look forward to the day when I am where you are! Keep up the good work and keep smiling!!!! God Bless...

Just me...Robin
Pre-290
Surgery date: Dec. 17th, but probably sooner!!
Old 08-28-2002, 09:17 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

deb... is this low normal b12 a decrease from your last level?? if so, yes, you should probably supplement. if it's not a big change from the last one, ask your doc first. no matter what, if you decide to supplement, you MUST tell your doc.

ok. having said that. here's the medical stuff. abridged version. we store vitamin b12, and although the rerouting of our innards preserves the intrinsic factor [that's what it's called] that allows us to absorb b12, we don't actually eat enough to keep our b12 levels up, and the absorption isn't that efficient.

so, what's the point in actually swallowing b12 tablets? not much.

here's the alternative: schiff makes a sublingual b12 in 1000 mcg [which is the RDA]. it's in a tiny bottle, and they're tiny tablets, kind of purply pink with a pleasant fruit flavor. costs about 7 bucks for 90. one a day, let it dissolve under your tongue, and you'll get some decent oral absorption. there must be other brands, but the key points are: "melt in your mouth" and 1000 mcg.

if this doesn't raise your b12 levels, you'll be in for regular shots. and who needs that???

the risks of low b12 are serious, and include permanent, irreversible vision loss and damage to nerves. don't risk it.

and deb, you need to be taking 100% of the RDA of calcium separately. a multi just doesn't cut it. i've been taking calcium citrate capsules [not the horse pills], and opening them and pouring them into my protein shake. but i also just found a soluble calcium crystals that dissolve great in any liquid.

and be sure not to take calcium carbonate. we don't absorb it at all well. so that means none of those yummy candy-type calcium chewy things.

sorry for the lecture... hope it helps

and my b12 levels tanked, too. big time. so far the iron's ok.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:06 AM   #4  
she who must be obeyed

Thanks Jiff, I didn't think to ask what my B-12 level was in June when she did blood work, I'll call and get that info.

Pooky2 thank you for the kind words.

Debbie
Old 08-29-2002, 09:02 AM   #5  
Hang In There

Isn't it wonderful to feel healthy again? Even with Alvin's "setback" it's obvious he's healthier and feels better that he did before surgery. Last night a couple of women at church were telling him that he looks 10 years younger!!! well I don't need that!!! They told him if he's shave his beard, he'd look even younger. He told them I won't let him shave his beard, because it's amost all grey, and that makes him look older than me!
Closed Thread