Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Default having trouble tolerating anything sweet

Hi,
I am almost 3 weeks out of surgery, I have lost 28 pounds so far (woot!). i am having an issue tho. I can seem to stand anything sweet, I dont mean sugar of course, but splenda or any sweetener. including the protien drinks and chewable vitamins. they all make me really feel sick and pukey. anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by Duckslove; 11-20-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #2  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

I never did but I'm sure someone has had that problem before. I just wanted to on the 28 pds

Last edited by GinaG; 11-20-2009 at 06:18 PM.
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #3  
fabulous by 40

S/C/G: 240

Height: 5'04

I had that problem too.. it gets a little better. I just quit using sugar subs all together.

I am still having a horrible time with protein drinks though.
sindurella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #4  

thanks for the congrats!
yeah i have switched to water and unsweetened tea, but i havent been able to drink a protein drink in 2 days. been drinking fat free milk and broths to get some protein in.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I had that for a while. . .I'm thinking Whipped cottage cheese would be helpful just take it easy and chew even tho it sounds silly
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #6  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Hi, clicked on this from the front page, and think maybe I can offer some help. In the past I've bought from trueprotein.com - they offer custom mixes which you can purchased unsweetened. I see that they have bariatric formulas, but to get an unsweetened powder you need to order a custom mix.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #7  

my doc is having me on a liquid diet until this wednesday, 3 and 1/2 weeks. I am hoping to be allowed cottage cheese on wednesday but i do not know what soft foods i will be allowed.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #8  

realcdn, thank you for the link
Old 11-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

hmmmm. interesting q. i had a HORRIBLE time with protein drinks, until i stopped putting them into a blender. All that air HURT!!!!! another thing i did was to eat them with a spoon. Also, mixing some of the protein into LF/FF plain yogurt made a nice pudding-like treat.

NOW, everything i just said works - but if you REALLY do have some problem with artificial sweeteners, you'll have to try to find an unsweetened protein source. i wish i had some advice. maybe an egg-white based protein? i think that there are powdered egg whites in a can that i've seen in the baking aisle. i have no idea what to actually do with them, but at least it's a good source of protein that doesn't involve wiating ordering off the internet.

good luck! keep us posted.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #10  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

No problem duckslove. Although I don't have an issue with artificial sweeteners, I usually find protein powders too sweet (I used to put vitamin C powder into protein shakes to make them less sweet). So finding one that has unsweetened options was good for me. I just bought a standard 25-lb bag (this was WAY more than I thought it would be, but a really good price) a while back. The good thing about it is that they sell flavourings separately, so if you find later on you can tolerate them, you can get some.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote