Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default WLS Second Anniversary

Yesterday was my second year surgery anniversary. I've got a throat virus from my usually very healthy DH! He asked me when I get to feeling better if I wanted to go out and celebrate by eating!!! The NUT!

I don't really have any words of wisdom or insights, but do know that I wish I could have had it a whole lot earlier in my life. I'M ALIVE! And that is pretty important and special to me!

I live life, because I can! I still think way too much about food! I have done somethings in my life that I said I would never do again after WLS. I battle food addiction everyday.

I weigh the same as my lowest weight, but have been told by many people who have had WLS, that now is a very important time in my life because people who are a few years out tend to get complacent and can start putting back on.

I don't weigh myself on a regular basis and think that now it is much more important than at the very beginning.

I'm very happy with my "skinny" life. I've been very busy which is a very far cry from what I was two years ago.

Now about my labs: Everything is very pretty much normal except my Vitamin D. I had the labs draw two weeks ago and my doctor will only contact me if there is something abnormal. Well, I went and got a copy myself at the end of last week to see how my labs were trending and lo and behold my Vitamin D is less than 4!!! Didn't hear from either one of my doctors about it! So, I've bumped up my Vitamin D drastically.

I have no complaints about my surgery what so ever! I eat five to six small meals a day. Don't drink enough water!!! Take my Vits and suppliments regularly. I don't exercise enough! I'm a constant work in process. I don't have as many low-blood sugar episodes as in the beginning. I really need reconstructive surgery, but my insurance doesn't seem to want to pay for it and I'm not independent wealthy. When I eat too fast, I get clogged and can't eat anymore or throw up! Chicken is still my archenemy and bread! I can get dumping if I eat too much sugar! I still battle trying not to go over my limits and will pay dearly if I do.

I'm always conscious about the quality of my food not the quantity. I make plenty of mistakes, but on the whole eat what I'm suppose to. I'm surprised at all of the mental stuff that I have gone through going from obesity to skinny. Can't believe how much I had used fat to protect myself in the past. My DH gets kind of mad at me sometimes because I have an "attitude" about life that I never had before. I realized that life is short and I don't beat around the bush about things like I used too. I'm not always very tactful about it either and have found out that being "thinner" hasn't always made me a kinder person, well, just more direct. I have an addictive personality that has transferred from food to spending. Boy, was that something to deal with. Still have a tendency to stock my kitchen more than I should, but only buy clothes if and when I truly need them. I still deal with eating something like a splenda homemade cookie and feeling like I've blown my whole life. I know I have some trigger foods that I can't keep in the house and get angry at my lack of "willpower" at times.

My biggest fear is REGAIN! I can easily see how it could happen. Would I do WLS again........in a heart beat!!!!!

Now it is time for more tylenol and my GKs just showed up and all I want to do is lie down!!!! LOL!!!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

WTG Nan ... Happy Anniversary
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #3  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

Dear Nanj,
Thanks so much for your insite,reading yours and others post from past wls vetrans help me so much being a newbie.
Congrats on your 2nd anniversary and many more
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #4  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Congrats to you. You look marvelous....
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #5  

Nan, congratulations! Quite an achievement.

You really should call your Vitamin D level to your doctor's attention. Mine was 9 and the doctor put me on 50,000 units that I take once a week (that is right 50 thousand). You really can't take enough on your own to get it where it needs to be. I'll be retested in 6 months to see where my level is.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Hope you feel better soon! Staying on guard and conscientious like you are seems like it would be the best way to stay so successful. Congratulations!!!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

NAN I'm proud of you lady!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote