Anyone go out of the country

• for the surgery? My insurance won't pay for anything related to obesity. Not sure if we push the issue with them but will ask my doctor. I am having heart problems and the beginning of kidney issues related to high blood pressure. Am thinking if the insurance absolutely will not pay then I will go to Mexico where the entire price is not much more than the co-pay. Wondering if anyone else has been out of the country for the surgery? Want to do LB.
  • I didn't go out of the country myself, but I know MANY people who have. One thing to consider when getting a band in another country is that you will have to try to find a local bariatric office who will perform fills/unfills for you if/when you need them, so keep that in mind (also take into account the additional out-of-pocket expenses for those as well). Unless you happen to live near Mexico and can make a day trip back to your surgeon's office when needed.

Have you researched/considered the VSG? I only mention it because I know many who have gotten VSGs in Mexico since it is not often covered by insurance in the US, and that would eliminate the need for fills/unfills later on.
  • no matter what you decide, Sue, please keep in mind that many surgeons won't take another surgeon's patients, and that the aftercare for these surgeries requires some degree of expertise so that you can live a happy, healthy life.

there are SOME insurers that are actually encouraging patients to go abroad for care, but i have no idea what they're doing when they come home. i'd like to think that these insurers have some docs in their system that have agreed to care for the travelers.

having said that, as Jilly pointed out, MANY people have gone overseas and have done well.
  • I went to Mexico in June for a VSG. Everything was fine; would do it again in a heart beat. Cost was about $10,000 including everything. 2 nights in the hospital. The only advice I wish someone had given me: Travel light! I was schlepping a heavy bag through 2 airports -- not good after just having abdominal surgery. But everything held and all is well.