Do you feel like dieting even after the WLS?

• Hi Girls , Im lucky to say that i lost around 100pounds (46kgs) during the first 1.5 year after the wls , I've been keeping the same weight for the last 2 years... witha +/- of 3kgs.

But is not easy, im always on a diet.. always worried with gaining weight back, like my dad did , he got all the weight back again.

So my question is that you also feel like a slave of diet always? no matter how much u have lost is a non ending care??

I feel very bad because i spend most of the time of my life fearing to get obese again

*p.s: Sorry for my english, im not a native speaker
  • izzy, your'e English is just fine. Congratulations on your weight loss; I haven't had WLS. But I still think about dieting and what I can do to maintain my loss. I think for those of us who tend to be overweight, we must always remember how easy it is to put on the pounds and do not want to forget the work we put in to take it off.
  • your English is fine.

I have not had surgery yet but it does not replace the need to be vigilant about our food and exercise.

it's a tool, nothing more nothing less. and being aware of what you eat and how you move is going to be part of your life for the rest of your life if you want to maintain good health.
  • izzy - let's be honest. do you know ANYONE over the age of, oh, let's say 21, who DOESN'T watch what they eat? I've taken the attitude that no matter what - 'naturally' thin, WLS-weight, old-fashioned diet - i'd have to watch what i eat. it's just that i have better odds that it'll work now.

there's a saying in the MAINTAINERS forum around here - MAINTENANCE LOOKS LIKE THE DIET - in otherwords - ya can't keep the weight off unless you do what got you that success in the first place.
  • It is not a diet. It is healthy eating. It is a lifestyle change. If you are eating the right things, it shouldn't be quite so hard. Junk and sweets are no longer an option.
  • Fear can be a great motivator... Once I lost my fear / concern I started gaining weight.. so don't be afraid... be aware

And what the other girls have said...
  • Ohh thanks everyone so much!!

Your posts totally cheered me up! And I believe that the whole thing is about facing that my surgery was just a tool.. and how easy is to grab a chocolate instead having a healthy meal...

but im getting there
  • Hi Izzy
    It's an ongoing process. It's a lifestyle It's permanent. Anyone who loses weight through any method has to consider what they eat daily to maintain. This is a great group of ladies!! you came to a wonderful place for support!
    Kierie
  • Izzy: I have the biggest fear about gaining my weight back. For the first few months I never strayed from my diet. I ate exactly what they told me to eat. Then I started recognizing that I could eat a variety of foods and still stay within my given guidelines: first protein, second carbs, 30 minutes later water; staying within 3/4 to 1 cup at a time. Now I'm at a point where I'm not having to do 80 to 90 grams of protein a day. I'm allowed to cut down to 50-60 grams a day. What is my goal now? I'm trying to balance out my diet with a better variety of protein, carbs, and dairy. I'm not getting in enough dairy and fiber. So, I'm reworking my diet plan. I have an awful time taking small bites and chewing the heck out of them, so I'm still having to lay down my fork in between bites so I can "unclog" myself. I still think I eat too fast. Where is all of this heading......I'm still on a "diet" kind of. Really a lifestyle change and constantly trying to break 50 years of bad habits that constantly come back to plague me. I'm reading my daughters "Food Lovers Fat Loss Plan", well something like that. I'm trying to make every bite I take be a quality bite. You are doing fine, just stay on your guard. Everyone messes up once in a while, but don't go there very often or it is just another habit you will have to break. I've done things the past few months that I swore I would never do. I went with a bunch of ladies for a day out and I'll be danged if they didn't stop at McDees. I had a garden salad with a chopped up McChicken patty on it. Cost me all of $2.00; and I fretted like crazy that I had blown my whole life and was back on the road to obesity!!! LOL!!! No, I'm not back on the road, I made my choice and did the best I could, but won't be back to McDees for a while. If you think you are messing up, start weighing, measuring and writing it down. That is a real eye opener. Keep in touch.
  • Nancy J. , wow im so greatful for your words, just amazing... amazing that we are always watching and how we get crazy once we do bad choices.. but it's life and we have to learn how to deal with it

Im once again aware about my diet plan, exercises (or lack of them) and starting over again

Thank you so much for your words again!
  • Izzy, I really think you are very aware of your weight after such a dramatic weight loss. Of course you never want to see the old you show up again. While, you really are on a continous diet it is well worth it to make sure you maintain a healthy life style. It sounds like you are doing great maintaining your weight loss.