Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 260/130/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Introducing myself

Geographical location: Dallas, Texas (Plano really)

Marital Status: Married (6 years)

Children/Ages: 0

Occupation: Web Designer, Photographer, Musician, Artist, Accounting, co-host on automotive radio show with my husband, WLS volunteer and advocate

Pets: 5 cats- Scout (Tortoiseshell), Kalli Cat (Calico), Boo Radley (Orange Tabby), Yoshi (Flamepoint Siamese), Sammy (Siamese) and one dog Sundance (3 legged Bichon Frise)
all rescue babies!

Hobbies/Interests: Music (Cello, Guitar, Piano and other misc. instruments), computer graphics, polymer clay sculpture, crafts of many kinds, creating videos on youtube about WLS and animal rescue,

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/Blonde

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Surgery date 3/30/01

Starting Weight: 260 was my heaviest (before surgery)

Present Weight: 130

Goal Weight: 130

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Seeing the huge difference in so many programs and wishing for more structure to help those in their journey

Following any specific plan: Knowing the surgery did not fix my head and working very hard on a plan for recovery from my addiction to food and making the changes necessary to deal with this disease

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I knew if I could just get back in the driver's seat one more time, I would do what was necessary to never return. I also knew that WLS gave me the tool I had always needed to help me do this. I lost the weight many many MANY times but could never keep it off until now.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I want to pay it forward and offer a helping hand to those that are on their journey on the road behind me because I could have never done it without those that were on the road ahead of me. I volunteer on various forums and have a site called Bariatric Girl.
Bariatric Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #92  

Default "survey"

Geographical location: Texas

Marital Status: married

Children/Ages: none

Occupation: taught special ed. for 24 years, now I am an online teacher. I am also a consultant with a couple of home based businesses, and help my husband with his personalization business.

Pets:

Hobbies/Interests: scrapbooking, creating custom fragrances, rubber stamping, reading/watchin mysteries, sci fi, fantasy.

Height: 5'6"

Eye/Hair Color: blue/black( where it is still black: I started turning grey when I was 18)

Date of Surgery: November 26, 2008

Type of Surgery: Lap band

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: I have been large all my life, I was a chubby kid. My folks started talking about it 2 years ago, but I have never had any kind of surgery and was scared to d3eath, so I put it off. I finally decided this year to do it. Mainly because I had gained so much weight that I could not even step up onto a curb.

Starting Weight: highest weight ever recorded: 486, not sure if this was the hightest or not, I went several years not being able to weigh on a scale.

Weight at surgery: 2 week pre-op: 469, surgery 439

Present Weight: 420

Goal Weight: When I graduated from HS I weighed 245, and dropped 45 pounds my first semester in college. I thought then I was huge, but I look back at photos and think wow I was kinda "skinny". So right now maybe 200

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: I am having trouble getting in the 3 small meals plus the protein shakes in. I am haviang to relearn how to eat.

Anything else you would like to share with us:

I want to be able to do things with my husband. We want to go on another cruise, and I would like to be able to walk around the ship and get off at the ports.
I want a pair of jeans, and pants without an elastic waist.
I was lucky, maybe that is why I got so large, my cholestrol, blood pressure, blood sugar are all normal.

Diane
dianek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 287/186/160

Geographical location: NW Pennsylvania

Marital Status: Married

Children/Ages: Austyn (8), Raymond III (6) & Chloe (16 months)

Pets: Lita (3) ... Shihtzu

Hobbies/Interests: I love sports. My boys play them all. I love hockey and football the most .... other than that I love my computer

Height: 5' 5"

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel/Very Dark Brown (as of now lol)

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: April 2008 ... just has RNY 1/26/2009!

Starting Weight: My highest non pregnancy weight was 287 January 1, 2009

Present Weight: 257.4

Goal Weight: 160 lbs ... or to just be at a healthy weight

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Head hunger, it sucks

Following any specific plan: Just my diet for post op ... I am in the mushy stages now. And to get all my vitamins in.

Anything else you would like to share with us: If you are considering WLS, it is NOT an easy way out. Do your research, ask questions, go to meetings, FOLLOW your doctors orders to a "T".
Mrs Karen79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #94  

Geographical location: Northern RI

Marital Status: In Love (never thought it would happen at this weight

Children/Ages: Not yet

Pets: 2 cats-Moby-short hair tiget and Bandit-short hair black

Hobbies/Interests: Jewelry Making, music, movies, reading

Height: 5' 7"

Eye/Hair Color: Changes/Blonde Highlights

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Sparked interest 05/2009-In fifth month of 6 month required monitored insurance thing (getting CLOSE!)

Starting Weight: Highest, 283

Present Weight: 274

Goal Weight: Oh, I haven't seen the other side of the scale in eons. 160.

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting past plateaus

Following any specific plan: What ever that wonderful doctor tells me to do, I will do. Right now, nutritionist has me eating 1600 cals a day.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I can't wait to not have Acid Reflux anymore. Also, pre diabetic. Yuck
LisaChunky29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 298/145

Height: 5'4"

Default My 411

Geographical location: southern Virginia

Marital Status: contently/happily married

Children/Ages: 3 - Ali (9), Shane (6), Hayden (4)

Pets: Bella, a 1.5 yr old black lab

Hobbies/Interests: Reading (pretty much anything), writing (stories, letters), watching movies, listening to music, working out (gotta get back into that more), spending time with my family, trying new things, going to the beach, shopping

Height: 5'4"

Eye/Hair Color: Blue-green/Dark brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: *10/25/06 (Date of actual journey) *7/30/07 (Date of surgery)

Starting Weight: 2005/2006 *285-298 lbs Day of surgery (2007) *257.3 lbs

Present Weight: 147-149 lbs

Goal Weight: 135-140 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Remembering to stay focused and drink/eat like I should. A lot of times I'm not hungry, so I don't eat/drink or I'm so busy I actually don't remind myself to stop and take the time to eat/drink. Also, remembering to NOT eat & drink at the same time.

Following any specific plan: post-WLS diet/plan

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: When you have WLS you HAVE to do the right things and you actually see the results from it. Every other diet in the past failed miserably.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I'm in the process of starting up a support group in my hometown for people who want to lose weight, get into shape, eat better and who would like to learn more about the various types of WLS and if it would benefit them.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Red face Hello, from basketcase!

Geographical location: central Ohio

Marital Status: very happily married! Together for 25 years, married for 19 years.

Children/Ages: Lizzie - 12, Alex - 9

Occupation: self-employed text book editor, PTO board member (2 schools), Girl Scout leader, Cub Scout newsletter editor, Girl Scout service team member, personal secretary/assistant/word processor for husband finishing his masters

Pets: ShihTzu - Treasure (7yo); Cats - Adventure (17yo), Jimmy (6yo); Hamsters x4; fish; children - oh. already listed them

Hobbies/Interests: scrapbooking, computer stuff, stamping, card making

Starting Weight: 395 (sadly, not highest ever)

Present Weight: 381

Goal Weight: 150

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Changing my mind about food and its role in my life

Following any specific plan: am hoping to have RNY surgery March 30, 2010 (just waiting on insurance confirmation)

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I'm working weekly with my therapist to work through issues. I have reached a point where I am being much more honest with myself. My therapist and I feel strongly that I am actually ready to make the change.

Anything else you would like to share with us:I am having a really hard time talking to people about this until I have a date on the calendar. I'm hoping "talking" with people online will help me with that. I am normally a very open person and have a lot of friends. I have been very selective in who I have talked to about my journey.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #97  
Angie

Smile Hello! post op (almost 1 year)

Geographical location: Green Bay, WI

Marital Status: single- living with boyfriend...

Children/Ages; Madeline- age 6- soon to be 7

Occupation: i sit at a desk, computer stuff. Some days I dont even know anymore.. also going to school for my masters in Counseling

Pets: 2 cats. Tinky (the "blond", older momma), and Lucy. She's just crazy. I say she is a dog.. that can jump on the counters (to steal any food she can find. chocolate muffins.. really? cats like chocolate??)

Hobbies/Interests: computer stuff, and i recently just started growing a container garden- i have a greenhouse in my living room. literally- a greenhouse. portable ones.. we shall see if i can get some veggies out of this whole project!

Starting Weight: 295

Present Weight: 185

Goal Weight: 160? or when this belly goes away more

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: unfortunatly, i dont dump with sweets. so,.. seep. i dont really get enough sleep and i compensate sometimes with candy. and also no mindless grazing.

Following any specific plan: trying to just get my protein in.. i cant stand the taste of protein shakes

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: well.. the surgery helped me loose the weight and conquer my unstatisfyable hunger..

Anything else you would like to share with us: i lost a good amount of weight already.. and also helped a friend on her journey who just got WLS (a week ago) but im not a ridgid follower of the rules. I need people to set me stright sometimes, however, this also was a "tool" in my WLS, but doenst control my life. I drink Diet coke every day. i enjoy some moderate sweets, and am OK with that. i just need to remember how I ended up where i was before, and that i dont want to go back!

oh, and I used to be on this site- few years ago, way before surgery crossed my mind! love this site!!
angelfadedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 404/299/180

Height: 5'11

Geographical location: Arkansas

Marital Status: single
Children/Ages: None

Pets: Buddy the mini-schnauzer

Hobbies/Interests: gardening, reading romance and inspirational novels, making jewelry

Height: 5'11"

Eye/Hair Color: Red/Blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 12/28/2009

Starting Weight: 407

Present Weight: 329

Goal Weight: 175

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting protein and easy convenient meals for one!

Following any specific plan: WLS

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am seeing progress!

Anything else you would like to share with us: My family does not know that I have had surgery. My goal is to lose 100 lbs by June 11, the day of our annual family reunion.
iwillsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 298/210/150

Geographical location: Alabama

Children/Ages: 2 - male - 12 and 9

Pets: 3 cats

Hobbies/Interests: sewing and scrapbooking

Eye/Hair Color: hazel/red

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey:1/12/2009

Starting Weight: 298

Present Weight: 209.9

Goal Weight: 150-170

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Drinking the water and exercising.

Following any specific plan:Lap band

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Exercising more.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I would love to hit the 199 mark. I haven't been that small since high school.
LisaRagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 234

Geographical location: New York

Marital Status: Married (16 years)

Children/Ages: Step-daughter 27, Sons,20,12,and 8

Pets: 1 Dog

Hobbies/Interests: My family, Reading and spending time with friends

Height: 5'6

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Consult Today 11/16/2010

Starting Weight:225

Present Weight:225

Goal Weight: 150

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: (which is why I choose the Lap-Band, to help with this battle)

Following any specific plan:LapBand

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am tired of yo yo dieting and Not going out because I don't want people to judge me I am depressed from my weight

Anything else you would like to share with us: I just want to be one of the 'normal sized' people. Not too thin, I don't want to feel like a Apple on a stick

Last edited by jiffypop; 11-16-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: deleted email - to decrease spam
babypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:22 AM   #101  

S/C/G: high 283/current 243/goal 150

Height: 5'3"

Default New Here/Intro

Geographical location: California

Marital Status: single, in a relationship

Children/Ages: none

Pets: none at present. Roommates have 3 adorable cats

Hobbies/Interests: volunteering, reading, beading jewelry, making art, and learning to make exercising enjoyable.

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde/blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 9/19/2010

Starting Weight: highest weight last winter was 283, pre op was bout 265

Present Weight: 209

Goal Weight: about 150

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting in the protein, avoiding unhealthy food and learning to deal with stress in a healthy way.

Following any specific plan: WLS

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: The gastric bypass surgery has given me a great headstart at losing the weight, and I am dedicated to keeping it off, so am exercising regularly.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I want to learn and continue to use healthy choices and habits. And most of all be brutally honest with myself and make healthy decisions for me. I have to do this and i want to do this!!
Thanks in advance for any support..
Phoenix59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #102  
Amy

S/C/G: 443/306/175

Geographical location: Missouri

Marital Status: Engaged to my boyfriend of 6 years.

Children/Ages: None

Occupation: Full-time student at present, going back to work next month

Pets: None, but I love animals.

Hobbies/Interests: Anything crafty like scrapbooking, cardmaking, etc, decorating my house, playing cards and board games, watching movies, going on long drives with my love.

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/Dark brown with red and blonde highlights

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Um, wow! Where to start? I guess I'll say 12/14/10, because this is my surgery date.

Starting Weight: 454

Present Weight: 429

Goal Weight: 175

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Drinking water and exercising!

Following any specific plan: Gastric Bypass

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am having surgery this time.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I cant think of anything, but if you have any questions just ask!
VioletSwerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #103  
Staying Positive!

S/C/G: 398/258/199

Geographical location: Missouri

Children/Ages: 2

Pets: 0

Hobbies/Interests: School, school and more school

Height: 5' 3"

Eye/Hair Color: Brown/Black

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: RNY 11/30/2009!

Starting Weight: 398

Present Weight: 257.4

Goal Weight: 198 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Getting in enough protein

Following any specific plan: Healthy eating

Anything else you would like to share with us: This is a life long journey not a quick fix
rkrs6673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 214.6/198.8/150

Height: 5' 4.5"

Geographical location: Southern California

Children/Ages: 2 - daughter 28, son 37, 5 grandchildren from 20 months to 17 years old and 1 great grandchild 3 months old

Pets: 1 assistance dog, 3 cats and husband

Hobbies/Interests: School, school and more school

Height: 5' 4.5"

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde/Brown (Goldwell colours)

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Fobi Pouch 7/14/1999

Starting Weight: 270 +/-

Present Weight: 198.8

Goal Weight: 150 lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: stopping grazing

Following any specific plan: Weight Watchers Momentum

Anything else you would like to share with us: After my WLS my lowest weight was 189.9, but quickly settled in at 195. The weight slowly crept up to 220 after about 5 years. I had a tummy tuck in 2004 and was 205 after the surgery to remove the excess skin. My weight went up again - to 221. I went on the Richard Simmons plan and got down to 190, but after some health issues found myself at almost 220 in January of 2010. I became diabetic during this whole process from not eating enough meat (so hard for me to digest). I do not want to take meds, so am on the path of losing the excess weight. I have muscular dystrophy which means my body is not strong and my weak muscles do not burn off the food I eat. I am following the momentum plan and have lost 15 pounds this past year.
dakiniverona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #105  

Geographical location: Minnesota

Children/Ages: 1 - My daughter Lily will be four next week on Memorial Day (May 30th for those not in the US )

Occupation: Customer Service in the food and beverage industry (office/phones)

Pets: 1 cat (actually my husband's cat, he already had her when we met nearly 12 years ago)

Hobbies/Interests: Board games, crochet, cross stitch, spending too much time on the internet.

Height: 5' 6.5"

Eye/Hair Color: Reddish brown hair (thanks to my stylist, LOL) eyes are green.

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Right now I'm probably between 340-350

Starting Weight:

Present Weight: 198.8

Goal Weight: 180-200

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: emotional eating

Following any specific plan: Not right now

Anything else you would like to share with us: I'm really very very alone in this right now. I haven't told anyone in my real life about my decision to have weight loss surgery. I have my first appointment with a bariatric nurse this coming Wednesday. I'm terrified about everything EXCEPT the surgery. The lifestyle changes that need to take place, dealing with insurance, dealing with the reactions of people. But I'm resolved.
littlebiskit is offline   Reply With Quote