Doesn't make sense

• Hello Fellow Fluffy Members

I was looking into weighlosss surgery and couldn't get past these questions in my brain so I decided this method wasn't an option for me.

If a surgeon tells a patient they have to loss xx number of pounds before they would even considering doing surgery doesn't this say the following(expecially if the patient does lose the pre surgery weight):

1. You can lose weight without surgery
    2. Surgeons are making a lot of money of this especially if they ask the patient to loss weight, the patient does and then still offer to do the surgery. Wouldn't it be more ethical for the surgeon and more safe for the patient to say, " Keep on doing what you're doing cause it's working." ?

Anyway, kudos to all of you that have undergone weightloss surgery. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision.

Gabby
  • It's true that with weight loss surgery, you still have to make lifestyle changes. But most people can make these changes in the short term, but still need help to maintain them in the long term.
  • Julie hit it right on the head. I haven't had WLS and I'm still not entirely sure if I want to or not. I have gone back and forth for a few years now, have researched as many options as I can, and have even gone to a few seminars. Here's a few reasons why I am considering it:

1) Co-morbidities. Diabetes being the key one, but there are many other co-morbidities that WLS has a chance of helping if not "curing". Some people have WLS because it is a choice between life and death.

2) I can lose weight. Well, let me rephrase, because I'm having issues in that department lately. I know how to lose weight and how to do it so it's healthy. What I can't do, for a few reasons, is keep that weight off. I personally would have a greater chance at maintaining a loss if I had a tool to use to help me.

You also need to keep in mind that the doctor is generally looking for two things by asking someone to lose x amount of weight before surgery: they want to see how well the patient can follow directions and/or take responsibility, and the weight loss also helps the patient go into surgery as healthy as possible (ie: fatty liver).
  • OK folks - here's the REAL DEAL. please stop getting hung up on the PRE-SURGERY aspects of this.

docs want people to lose weight before the surgery for a couple of reasons: (1) to make sure that the person can follow instructions; (2) to make sure the person has some degree of motivation and interest in making changes; (3) to shrink the usually large liver [many very heavy people have fatty liver, which can cause complications].

as for the old tale of 'if you can lose a few pounds because the surgeon tells you to, you can simply continue losing,' you folks have not yet hit that dieting wall [or maybe you have and simply don't recognize it or are in denial].

the MAIN reason i had the surgery was NOT to simply lose the weight. IT WAS TO REDUCE THE CHANCES OF REGAINING IT. please notice how i said that - to reduce the chances, as it's not a guarantee.

There is a sticky note at the top of this forum from Jennifer 3FC directed at folks who haven't had the surgery yet. please read it.

in the future, if you have no intention of having the surgery, please take these types of discussions to another forum.