Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 12:14 AM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default pondering WLS

hey
my sis just had WLS and i'm pondering wls i've tried soooo many programs
*btw HI JIFFY! remember me from Lowcarb?
my current is 205 and i have cerebraly palsy my bmi is 38.9
I just wanted some input on experiences and etc
Thanks
Kier
Ps im going to a meeting about it tuesday
and could use some questions to ask
Old 07-05-2002, 07:24 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

Default hey there, KO

nice to see you!!! where have you been??

and by the way, if you're going to the orientation meeting at morristown, i'll be there, too!!! apparently, it's patient testimony night, and i've been asked to testify for dr. bertha, just tell about my experiences. but they'll only let me have 5 minutes!!!!!

maybe we'll get to chat????

first, mary, the program coordinator, describes the surgery and what to expect. many people ask questions about how long it takes to lose the weight, about hair loss, protein intake, when does eating get normal, and just what does normal eating mean. and can this be reversed and what about plastic surgery.

mary touches on just about all of these topics, but some people have very specific questions. oh, and she reviews the approval process, and why you have to fill out the diet history [the SOOOO many programs we've all been on], and the procedure to get yourself cleared for surgery.

since your sister has already gone through this [how is she doing??], i'm sure you know quite a bit about it. and the vomiting issue always comes up as well.

and a word of suggestion: get there early.. the auditorium is generally packed

and there's a post op support group meeting at the same time, so some of those folks wander in as well. and we often hang out right outside the auditorium doors, available to chat with preops or to swap info among ourselves.

does this help? let me know... and maybe, just maybe, we'll actually get to meet!!!!
Old 07-05-2002, 09:25 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey Jiff I think thats th one i'd love to chat with you
my sis is 1 week out of surgery so shes in pain but no bad tummy side effects so far
as for where i've been I've been posting on WW 20something and I've been in ireland for an academic year
ya I can do the brogue
how much have you lost since the WLS and when did you ahve it done
and its soooo nice to See a familiar face(nick) insomething i have been pondering
the oneQ i want to really ask is about havin to gain weight to qualify for insurance My bmi is under 40 but my bod cant take much more you know
anyway maybe we'll meet up
ttysoon
thanks
Kier
Old 07-05-2002, 12:01 PM   #4  

Default Hi KO

Hi girlfriend.....

It's good that you're doing your research and getting as much info as possible before you make a final decision. It's a big step, as I'm sure you know, so consider everything carefully.

I'm still pre-op, but there are loads of post-op people (like your sis), who will tell you WLS saved their lives. I can't wait to have my surgery and begin my new, healthy life. You can certainly make an appt. with your personal doctor, and they can determine if you qualify for the surgery. If you do, then you're one step closer to deciding what is best for you. I pray wisdom for you as you seek to make this choice. We're all here for you if you need more info. You might also want to seek out other opinions from different websites, too, like Obesityhelp.com and Spotlighthealth.com. Both have specific forums for WLS. God Bless....

Just me...Robin
Pre-285
Desired-150/160
Old 07-05-2002, 12:36 PM   #5  

Here is a list from my ebook

Where will the surgery be performed ?
How many gastric bypass procedures have you done?
What complications have you seen?
Have you had any patient deaths from weight loss surgery?
Will you do all of surgery? opening/cutting/closing?
Do I have any input in the size of my pouch?
Do you use staples or sutures?
When will the staples come out?
Have you ever had to re-open for leaks, etc.?
Will I need a stomach binder?
Will you tell my family how it went right away?
Can someone spend the night with me?
How long will the hospital stay be?
Do you prescribe diet/exercise prior to surgery?
Is it an especially good idea to start weight training pre/post op to prevent too much muscle
loss?
What kind of follow up care is required?
How long should my recovery take?
Besides food restrictions what other restrictions will I have after surgery?
Will anesthetist/anesthesiologist be with me alone throughout entire surgery or share time with
other ongoing surgeries?
What should my pre op diet be like?
What type of vitamins should I take pre/post op?
Is there anything else I should do to prepare for surgery?
What kind of pre op tests will I need, Who will schedule the tests, where will they be,when will
they be?Is it the sooner the better?
What is your experience with my insurance?
What can I do to make the insurance approval process go smoother/faster?
Approx. how soon after I’m approved will I have my surgery?
How many calories,fat,protein, carbohydrates minimum/maximum should I consume Post Op?
How much weight can I expect to lose? How fast?
Will I be give a list if dos and don’ts post op including off limits medications?
Should I get a medic alert bracelet?
Are there any support groups in my area?
Is it true certain food/drink/medication will stretch out the pouch with gas post op?
If I am lactose intolerance will it effect my post op diet? Will the stretch my pouch?
Will there be a list nutritional supplements how do I obtain them?
What types of special things will I need when I return home? i.e......foods, vitamins, painkillers, etc..
If I feel I am not ready to leave hospital and the hospital wants to discharge me anyway, what can I
do?
Post surgery, at home, what dangerous symptoms should I look out for?(like from clots, infection,
etc.)
If I’m from out of town, what should I do if I run into complications?
(You may think of others to add to the list)
Old 07-05-2002, 05:11 PM   #6  

Default KO....please read

KO........

Please refer to the thread on this page - "Diabetes Forecast, gastric bypass for weight control"......it gives you quite a bit of information and will answer a lot of your questions, and questions to KC's post above. Check it out.....Robin
Old 07-05-2002, 06:54 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

and KO, if you decide to have your surgery through morristown, mary gives out a handbook to all patients as they draw closer to their surgery, with very specific diet and med instructions.

not that it answers ALL of those questions above, plus others, but it's a leg up..

more later...
Old 07-06-2002, 08:11 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

sorry.. it took me longer to get back to you than i had planned. first, about you being on the low side for the wls... the real question is the comorbidities: high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis are the big three, but there are others. with your cerebral palsy, it's possible that you'll qualify because maybe your bones and joints can't take as much weight compared with people who don't have cerebral palsy.

so, don't give up the process too soon!! it just might work for you.

as for me, well, i hit my highest weight last august [506] while in the hospital on an 800-calorie diet. i was extremely ill because my lungs had been so damaged over the past few years. the docs had decided that i couldn't breathe because i was heavy, not because they had undertreated my bronchitis and pneumonia!!!

so, my lungs would no longer support my weight. once i got the bipap for sleep apnea, things really started turning around, and i lost 75 pounds in 10 weeks. the smart docs [i finally found some!!!] said that i now had a metabolism!!!

the surgery was on january 29 2002. i went in weighing 409. didn't have any major problems, although i did throw up at least once a day for a solid month after about 6 weeks!! the surgeon said that some people have twitchy stomachs for awhile, but it does settle down. and thank goodness, he was right.

my last weight was a little over a week ago, and i weighed 295, a total of 211 pounds since last aug/sept, and 114 since the surgery, 5 months ago. still have a little more than 100 to go, but i'll make it!!!!!

and i haven't lost any hair either. but i was compulsive [and still am!!] about making sure i get in the protein and vitamins.

but don't worry!!! i'll have a new number before tuesday night. while in the hospital, the guy who had the surgery right after me wandered into my room and introduced himself, and we've been 'surgery buddies' ever since. and he's doing great, too. but i've lost just a few more pounds than he has, and don't think i EVER let him forget it!!!!

so, i need new numbers to tell him...
Closed Thread