Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Oh what WLS does for camping!

This is from an old, physically broken-up, WLS chick who is loving her WLS. I'm 22 months out and maintaining my weight and struggle everyday with food addiction. But.........I mountain biked this weekend and this is the second weekend in a row that I slept (well kind of slept) on the ground in a tent!

Now mind you mountain biking for me is rough walking paths full of roots, logs, rocks and fallen trees, steep inclines and ditches. I flew off my bike twice and landed in the briars, but I flew off gracefully!!! My DH and I had a blast! My poor butt and knees are griping big time and my poor back won't straighten for a week, but I'm ALIVE. We came back to the campsite, soaking wet from the sweat and my family thought we had gone swimming with our clothes on! LOL! THey were horrified when I told them what we had been doing! It was such fun. DH and I both ate too many carbs this weekend, and we are both down about five pounds today....go figure! My DH would stop for me when I would get behind and make sure I wasn't hurt. He never did see me flying through the air. I looked once and saw a tree down over the path and someone had put a plank over it so that you could go over it on your bike, and right before my eyes I saw my 59 y/o DH change into a 10 y/o kid and try to ride his bike over the plank. Missed the plank and front tire caught the log and he flew over the handle bars. After I realized he was not dead, I laughed till I cried. While we were contemplating what else we could do later on my DH turned to me and said, "Nanc do you think you would have been able to do this a couple of years ago?" HECK NO!!! I couldn't even get out of my house, let alone ride in a car to our campsite. Yes, I'm always going to have joint and back problems, but it is so nice to be ALIVE!!!!! He has been on a low-carb diet one year in July and has maintained his 48 pound lose! I'm looking at GoodWill for roller-blades for the both of us! LOL!!!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

That is fantastic! Congrats on your and your hubby's survival )
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

this is FABULOUS news, Nan. but i gotta tell you - my idea of roughing it is TRULY a hotel without a bar. you're very brave to sleep on the ground. in a tent. outdoors. with the bugs.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #4  

Thanks Winning and Jiffy! There really weren't many bugs, it was too darn hot for them. They were burnt up the minute they landed on my hot skin. I did pick up a new baseball cap that reads "Still a Babe after all these Years". LOL!
Before we go again, I'm going to pick up an nice plump, solid air mattress. Sleeping on the ground has its good points.........nope can't think of any! LOL!

I got my hair cut even shorter, it is a Jamie Lee Curtis hair cut, and great for outdoor showering and roughing it. It is still just a little bit longer than my DH hair.........he is bald!!!!

Jiffy how is the leg coming along?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #5  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

Wow, you are a true inspiration! That sounds like so much fun even the falling and sweating but not the sleeping on the ground LOL
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Nan!!!!!!!!! I needed this today you made me smile!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

Hi nan!

it's coming along. the stitches are out, and as soon as they were out, the edges came apart, so it's just healing from the bottom up. i figure another 2 weeks before it's healed. a nasty, large scar!!! will have to come up with an interesting story about it. any ideas??? maybe a bear fight???
Old 08-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

YOU ROCK NANJ !!!!!

((( I know how Jiffy realllly got her scar .... but she said I couldn't tell ))))
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Jiff! You have to stop the super spy stuff lady!
Old 08-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #10  

Jiffy, I heard you were tied up in a traffic jam, saw a horrific car crash and you ran through a fiery furnace to climb up over a jagged heap of crushed car to get all twenty of ACORNers trapped in the car out before it blew up. By the time you helped load all of those people in the ambulences, you were down a quart of blood and finally realized that you were terribly injured! A big, handsome, single fireman picked you up and personally delivered you to the ER and saved your limb. Well........that's the way I heard it.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #11  

Another story going around........I heard Jiffy was running from a pack of AARPers who wanted her to join up. She was running for all she was worth and was leaping from building top to building top, with AARP in hot pursue, and she landed on a skylight and came crashing down and sliced her leg up pretty darn good. BUT, she got away from the AARPers! They vowed they would return another day to track her down. Well?

Last edited by nanj; 08-18-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #12  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Nan I'm with you! Jiff is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too Full of life to hang with AARP (or ARP as my gram would call it)
Old 08-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #13  
Old Cackler

these are GREAT!!!! and i LOVE the fireman!!! where is he? can we combine the AARP with the fireman? and BTW, they ARE sending me lit - and they DO have good discounts! but first, i'll need a sharp haircut and dye job before i join - i will NOT look like an old fogey!!!!!!