Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #1  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Default Lost 18.6 pounds in 2.6 weeks ... Half way to getting my surgery

I was approved a while a back for surgery and blew it by gaining weight. They told me to lose 33 pounds and I cried like a baby cause it seemed impossible, I have NEVER lost more than 22 pounds at one time in my life, including starving myself and dieting for 4 months strait.
Then they sent in a Physians Assistant who gave me a copy of the basic info for the South Beach Diet, it looked so simple so I said I woud try. She also prescribed a very low dose of Phentermine with the admonishment that if I started to feel manic I was to contact her and she would get me off of it.
I have not felt manic, more like oddly in control of my self then before, a little more willing to stand up for myself, but I do keep watch.
the 11th (I saw her on the 23rd) I weighed in their office and I had lost 18.6 pounds you could have knocked me over with a feather.
I have enjoyed the food I have on South Beach and having to make just about everything from scratch slows me way down. The first 3 or 4 days were hard, i craved white rice so bad but now I am feeling great, even with a case of summer bronchitis I feel better over all, my nails are growing like crazy, my stomach has not been nearly as upset like it use to be and my arthritis is not hurting as bad.
I am hesitant to start phase two (slowly adding fruit and whole grains daily) so i am sort of on phase 1.5 ...lol keeping the opption of the right fruits and grains open but avoiding them as much as possible and sticking to vegtables on my diet as much as I can. I have also learned to always eat a protein with each carb to prevent my sugar going out of whack and causing cravings.

One thing I realize is I was not ready for surgery in lots of ways, now I am getting there, I hope to actually lose 50 pounds before they open me up, I would love to try to lose it all via diet but my knees dont have the time left to do a long term diet. I am learning to eat better, not think of food all the time and to feel more comfortable with the idea of surgery.
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Wow ! You are doing great !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #3  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

well done. keep up the good work.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 287/186/160

Height: 5'6"

WOW ... you are doing so great, you will have the surgery before you know it. Keep up the good work!
Mrs Karen79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

Spooky -

this is the BEST news i've seen in a long time!!!! you're really and truly on your way!!! congratulations
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote