Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5.5"

Question How did you do it??

For the past 8 years I have been one of those people who was thinking WLS was for everyone else...just not for me.
Now here I am really considering it as an option for ME!! I am currently working on the criteria for my insurance and am narrowing my choice of Dr.s.

Here is my delimma~I'm sure this sounds really "childish" but how did everyone handle people talking about you after your surgery? (I'm not talking about the good compliments and well wishes) I work for a very large company full of gossiping women ~~ I'm just not sure how I would be handle it.

Has anyone else been in this situation or had to deal with people talking in a negitive way about your WLS decision?

mgf~

MyGirlFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I haven't had WLS but I understand the concern. I've discussed it with others and been given the whole "oh so you're going to take the easy way out" response. But really, this decision is about doing what's best for you. You don't have to tell anyone if you don't want to. They can suspect all they like. But it's your health and your business. Try not to worry about the opinions of provincial-minded people

Last edited by Aclai4067; 07-22-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

mgf- nice to meet you!!!!! now, if you'll just scroll down the thread list a little, to the one that starts SSSSHSHHHHHHHHH - that's EXACTLY the topic you're looking for - so, feel free to jump in!!!

and we'll happily answer any questions we can. good luck as you work on making the right decision FOR YOU!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Welcome. I walked around for years thinking WLS is the easy way out. that I would never 'stoop to that'... OY did i smack myself when I realized just how much work is involved.... I guess I am sorry I waited so long, but in many ways I'm not sorry. Because now I am prepared for it and will do what needs to be done to make this tool work for me.

As for dealing with folks that talk. I'm pro-active. I've told everyone I can I'm having surgery in (hopefully) September.

best of luck to you.

btw this is a great support group. no judgments.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #5  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I literally told those who started the negative talk, if they were not supportive in my decision to have WLS, then please keep your comments to yourself. You will have enough to deal with without dealing with the negative people. Believe you, me, it is not the easy way out. It is something I work on daily. You will be fine, ignore those who irritate you.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I NEVER considered WLS for myself - I had all the usual thoughts about it (too drastic, if I could eat so little after surgery why not just do that WITHOUT rearranging my insides, etc.). Until I dieted my way to type 2 diabetes at age 25. I believe it was less than a month after my diabetes diagnosis was handed to me that I decided to get the DS procedure.

Honestly, I haven't had anyone speak negatively about my decision, and lord knows EVERYONE knows about it - I'm no good at keeping secrets when it comes to something I'm so excited about! When I talk about my experience, I focus heavily on the health benefits, not just the weight loss. I think my enthusiasm is a bit contagious.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

one of my best friend's moms is a dietician and my gf is naturally thin so she'd get on a soap box about it all the time. . .I didn't tell anyone who I didn't think would understand till post -op
Remember ppl are resistant to change in others. . .it's not about them It's about you
KO is offline   Reply With Quote