Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default No lapband for me

I had posted before about the lapband and wanted to share an update. I am a yo-yo dieter (queen of! ) and am finally to the point were enough is enough. So I had thought about having the lapband. Then I was very disappointed to find out that I don't qualify. I was very bummed out for a few days but hey, if I can do it without having surgery, wouldn't that be awesome, yep! So I did a little research and found out that the surgeron for the lap band also has a Comprehensive weight loss plan that involves 6 months of diet monitored by the doctors, exercise physiologist and a nutrionist. Sounds like just what I need. They have a weekly support group that is required, monthly visit with the doctor and they have other event available like meeting with the nutrionist at a restuarant, so you learn how to order, and meeting at a grocery store to learn what to shop for. Sounds like they not only work on what you eat but also work on why you eat they way. Wish me luck! I've got about 65-75 lbs I want to lose.

Beth
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Luck Beth !! I would love to hear more about the plan, meetings, etc.. please come back and tell us how its working out for you. Thats awesome !!!

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 365/332/160

Height: 5'7"

Good luck! Sounds like it's a good plan.
Missy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #4  

Will do! I am so excited. My appointment is on March 17th. I already have all my monthly appointments made. (talk about commitment!! ) The first appointment is 3-4 hours long. I get to meet all the gameplayers and they will give me the low down. They will tailor the plan to me and what I need (exactly what I need).
Old 03-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

BETH!!! this sounds like a GREAT plan!!! ya gotta come back and keep us posted - it sounds like they know what they're doing.

Go for it!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #6  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Sounds great! I looked for a similar plan where I live and came up with sort of mix and match thing (not as comprehensive) and have found it to be both motivating and effective. Wishing you the best. Keep posting.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #7  

Just a little update!

Last Tuesday I went in for my (3hr appt) that ended up being 5 &1/2 hours!!! Talk about being thorough.

First I meet with the receptionist and went over my contact info. She showed me how to weigh in each week on the Tanita scale (shows body fat, water, everything). Then I met with the Nurse Practioner. We went over my lifes' history. She asked so many questions my head was spinning. lol Then she took me to the nutrionist's office. They went over my history together. The nutrionist went over what I eat on a normal day, and weekends. What I like to eat, how to cook, what I don't like, etc. Then she told me a little bit about how to eat, what to buy, etc. She gave me handouts of her favorite foods. She told me I would be on a 1400 cal diet at first and it's an exchange program. So if I don't like what is listed to eat I can go to my food list and find something else that I like.

Then I meet with the exercise physiologist. We talked about ways to get excercise and what exercise I like. My starting goal was to walk 30 min 3x week, and do strength training 2x week. She explained a lot as well as the other two ladies.

I have to say I was very impressed. The NP does want me to have labs drawn and have a sleep study. Not only do they work on weight loss but if there are health issues that impede your weight loss.

There are weekly meetings. One of the three ladies gives the meetings. Sometimes they have "field trips" and meet you at a grocery store and restuarant and show you how to order/what to buy etc.

I didn't get my nutrition plan until Thursday evening because it was prepared especially for me. I went Friday morning and got what I needed for 4 days and started Friday. There are a few things I am not crazy about on it but she said to give it a try. and if I don't like it after three tries then change it in my plan. But I did a first yesterday I ate raw tomato. Not a big deal, no, but for me it was huge. I actually didn't mind it. So today I ate more raw tomato x2 even! lol

I can email all three ladies at anytime or call if I need to. So I am not out on my own. I have already thought of several questions for the nutritionist and emailed her. They said to give them at least 2 days to return the message but at least you know you will always get an answer.

I have also decided that I am "scale hopper" and would hop on the scale all day long. So no more scale hopping! I haven't weighed since I weighed in on Tuesday. I won't weigh again until Weds. evening when I get back. The numbers drove me crazy so I think it's best not to use those numbers as my guide anymore but how I feel and how my clothes fit.

Anyway, that's the plan, and the update. I am excited because I've always wanted to lose weight, but only gave a half hearted attempt. This time is different I don't WANT to lose weight. I WILL lose weight. I WILL be successsful. I WILL feel better. I WILL do this, or die trying.

Ya'll have a good evening!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #8  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Wow that's fantastic! Very thorough...I love that! how much is this costing you??? Does your insurance help with this? mine is paying for WW...but this is cool!

Let us know how it's working for ya and Have Fun!!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 03-21-2009 at 08:19 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Beth thats wonderful, the whole thing sounds totally awesome!! Please come back and tell us all about it and how you are doing.... I can't wait to hear.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Beth it sounds like a wonderful program. I probably could benefit from something with this kind of structure and I've had WLS. Please keep us informed about your progress.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #11  

Wow Beth. Your program sounds amazing. I'd like to do it even though I have a lap band. Keep us posted!

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #12  

The town I live in also has this program.if anyone is interested I would google weight loss management program supported by physician.I think insurance companies will usually cover some of the expense.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #13  

My insurance does not pay any for weight loss programs unless it's by your PCP. I actually will end up paying a total of $800. The first payment was 250 and then it's 110 for each month after that. I think it's very reasonable. It much less than what I paid for LAWL program and the countless other diets I have been on.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #14  
Old Cackler

This is GREAT, Beth. We're seeing a lot more of these programs popping up, and i'm thrilled that the medical community is finally seeing this as a chronic condition that needs to be MANAGED, rather than as a personal weakness or lack of motivation or laziness or anything like that.

can't wait to hear the next report!!! you GO!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Ditto Jiffy!!!! So I'm not just a lazy fat cow.......that I might have actually had a chronic condition with a torn up knee, but the doctor's response to me was...."You need a little self control, and you need to lose weight." Did he not notice that my knee was locked and stayed bent!!!!! What an A R S E! I quit him that day, but my DDumbH still goes to him.... I wonder if that same doctor remembers giving me diet pills, signing me up for Optifast, giving me an ideal weight for WW, sending me to the NUT and even when I went in for a cold and cough, I didn't hear about how I had walking pneumonia, but how fat I was and how I was going to die and early death. The worst thing was, I worked for the fool for four years!!! Now who is dumb!!! LOL!!!

I wish we had a program like Squeak has, so that I could go to it and really learn and be monitored. more closely. I'm doing fine, but wade through food everyday, thinking about good nutrition and balanced meals to sustain my weightloss and my DH's menu. My DD has lost 20 pounds in six weeks on low-carb, but I'm worried about all my family who still doesn't have good balanced meals in their life. I don't want them to be a BIG person like I was and harm their body and have as many structural problems like I have.

Squeak......listen and learn and apply. Don't get where I was.

Last edited by nanj; 03-23-2009 at 01:52 PM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote